Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 19
12 January 2015 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Yes, Apfelstrudel is our shared heritage :-)
German is however a good language for beer lovers. And I love Bratwurst, even though I
am nearly ashamed to say it. I feel like the girls are still expected to love salad...

carlyd, I never said my opinion was the one of the majority of population. No, those
are just some reasons that can make one dislike the culture and language, even though
most people disliking it will probably have only or two in common with me (or none)
and then have their own list. Germany has the blessing/curse of being an important
country. Everyone does have an opinion about it. When it comes to the Czech Republic,
99,99% of the world can say "I don't care" without looking stupid but when someone
asks about Germany, you hardly every hear such an undecided answer from my experience.
But I'm at least glad my post made you laugh :-)

A good thing about trying out German is that you can do so for free. You don't have
to buy an Assimil or anything that expensive just to find out you don't like the
language. Some good sources: any local library is quite likely to have something for
German learners. There are many good online sources, such as Germanpod101, deutsche
welle website, duolingo, the German decks on memrise, online grammars, FSI and much
more. I'd say the overall quality and easiness of finding free high quality material
for German is better than for French, even though nowhere near English or Spanish.

Edited by Cavesa on 12 January 2015 at 2:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3848 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 10 of 19
12 January 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I've actually always wanted to visit Austria, again due to my love cf classical music (Mozart, Beethoven, the Vienna school of composers etc. (I've also heard its got some great scenery.) I forget that they also speak German. :)

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4323 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 11 of 19
12 January 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
German ,in my opinion, sounds beautiful or ugly depending on the speaker . I often happen to like the
German spoken by women tv presenters und find ugly that of many mens , there are exeptions though.
Yes , at times , it can get very unmelodic , but I suspect it has more to do with the speakers voices than
with the language in itsself.

I don't like the way many austrians and swiss people speak too. They say they speak German , but in my
cases it's not German at all , it's a dialect ,almost another language . It takes courage to call it German .
I instead like when standard German is spoken with a mild swiss , austrian or bayern accent which doesn't
hinder my comprehension.

Edited by albysky on 12 January 2015 at 12:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3842 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 12 of 19
13 January 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
German ,in my opinion, sounds beautiful or ugly depending on the speaker.

This is how I feel, though I wouldn't say "ugly", I would say "harsh".

I definitely think there is some carryover from WWII; my friends and fiance don't like the
sound of German and when they hear me say something in it they'll say something like
(jokingly) "you Nazi!" or "hey, how's Joseph Goebbells doing?". I find it to be a very
dynamic language; it can be harsh, professional, conversational and even sound nice (when
a female is speaking it). Try listening to it with an open, unbiased mind.

With that said, I can empathize with you (OP) because it is the same with me and Spanish.
It would be very beneficial for me to learn it (in the US) with countless materials and
chances to practice speaking. I've tried to seriously learn it a couple of times and I
just can't get into it, whether it is the sound or a personal bias toward the language
that is holding me back. I will learn it one day though.

As another poster stated, try listening to how it is spoken in other countries like
Austria and Switzerland (though it is a bit different there). My main motivation to learn
German was because of my interest in Switzerland, but my interest in Germany and the
language grew over time and it keeps me going, now I do it "for the language", if that
makes sense, and I can't get enough of it.

Just try it with an open mind. If you find yourself getting into it, that's awesome. If
you find you still don't like it, move onto something else, no loss.

lsilvaj
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4065 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Russian

Message 13 of 19
15 January 2015 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
the one thing I really hate about German... separable verbs.

I was trying to read an article in a magazine and the verb prefix was about 5 lines below... wtf, how can these people understand each other? what's the point of splitting up a verb and putting its parts away the farthest possible?

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4017 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 14 of 19
26 February 2015 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
lsilvaj wrote:
the one thing I really hate about German... separable verbs.

I was trying to read an article in a magazine and the verb prefix was about 5 lines below... wtf, how can these people understand each other? what's the point of splitting up a verb and putting its parts away the farthest possible?

A German chap recently told me that he does two passes in such cases, and that it is not nice if people use seperable verbs in this manner (with a lot of stuff in between the stem and the prefix). And apparently in spoken German, the prefix is sometimes stuck in the middle of the sentence:
Hör jetzt endlich auf mit deiner dummen Fragerei.

Edited by Gemuse on 26 February 2015 at 7:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5269 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 19
04 March 2015 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
My ex-mother in law has this saying: Feelings are never right or wrong. They just are. And that applies here. Your feelings are right. For you. Even though some of them, or the feelings of people who dislike German may be incomprehensible to me.

I think German is a soft, beautiful language. Listen to *Mignon* and tell me again that German is a harsh language. I have another language, which will remain unnamed, which I feel sounds like they are trying to kill a cat. And my cat agrees with me, and runs away if I ever try to put on a tape in that language.

It is purely a matter of taste, and if German does not appeal to you, take another language. There are enough of them :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4603 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 19
05 March 2015 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
German reminds me of Nynorsk, beautiful but very difficult.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version