Poland
Joined 5663 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 17 of 19
07 March 2015 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

It is purely a matter of taste, and if German does not appeal to you, take another language. There are enough of them :-)

And I'd say don't get discouraged so easily. How much of German have you actually heard? Or studied? It might take just a bit of listening to get used to its sound and if you think this language might be important career wise, it might be better to make a little effort then just throw your hands in the air and say "I don't like the sound of it!"
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5917 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 19
07 March 2015 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if there are people who think they don't like German, when the truth is that they simply don't know German. I know I used to be like this. But then in 2012 I made my first proper visit to Germany, and started trying to learn the language properly, and I realised that all my preconceptions about both the German language and Germany were just petty prejudices.

I guess the impression that German sounds harsh comes in part due to the throaty sound found at the end of "ach". But to me this is neatly balanced by the altogether gentler sound at the end of "ich", which I personally find quite pleasurable to produce. The German "r" sound is also produced in the throat, but so is the French "r" and I never hear claims that French sounds harsh.

Or maybe it is because of the regular stress pattern and the way that words don't tend to flow into each other like they do in French or English. But to my English ears the stress pattern sounds reassuringly familiar, and the neat word boundary distinction is a big help in developing listening comprehension, so I have no complaints here.

Also, I think that the German Forelle sounds altogether more charming than the English trout!

German grammar comes with its own difficulties. I took a long time to come to terms with separable verbs, although being able to relate them to English verbs like "to give up" helped. Three genders and four cases is a pain, but having said that the verb system is altogether more simple than, say, French. In any case, Japanese grammar is much more simple and logical, and yet it's still a much more difficult language for my English speaking brain to deal with.

I've also come to realise that German is a pretty obvious language to learn for somebody who is really into music, since German speaking people have a long history of being rather good at it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5500 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 19 of 19
07 March 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
How about this - find a famous German person you find physically attractive and then
listen to them speak German on YouTube. It will work wonders for your positve
psychological perception of the language.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version