Diglot
Poland
Joined 4572 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 14
07 February 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi. My goal for this summer is to work in the south of France. I am 21 years old and a
student, so I'm looking for any kind of job. I must know French well no matter what I
find there.

Right now, I'm at the end of “Assimil, Using French.” A year and half ago, I finished
French with “Easy”, and after a year without French, I reviewed it and started “Using
French.” I did it using the mix of shadowing and listening/reading methods.

In my opinion I have strong B1 level skills. I'm talking slowly but quite well. I have
a problem with understanding the other person and the French media.
My summer plans lead me to focus on my ability to communicate freely and understand
others without problems. I talk with my aunt in French, but the problem is that she
switches to Polish often, so 60% of our conversation is in Polish. I will find some
French people to exchange languages, but I won’t make those conversations the core of
my language learning.

I am committed to spending at least 2 hours per day on my main language activities, but
I really don't know what would be the best method for achieving my goal.

To be efficient I have to have some kind of schedule. If I don't know exactly what to
do next, I find myself doing nothing in particular. That's why I like Assimil so much
(second part less so than the first).
I was thinking about reading very intensively and listening to “Trois Mousquetaires” by
Dumas, but I'm not sure that's a good idea if my goal is mostly speaking. I'm a book
worm so it’s really tempting, but on the other hand why not try something new or
different?

My second idea is Linqg. That might be good, but to be honest, I don't know how to plan
my learning with this tool or how to use it exactly. I like the shadowing technique
because I know what I have to do next when using it.

I really like listening to podcasts and other audio recordings on my way to university,
but I have a problem finding good ones. Podcasts for learners are too easy, and normal
podcasts are too difficult to just listen without a transcript.

Thanks in advance for your patient with reading this long post, and any advices.

Edited by Kszegosz on 09 February 2015 at 10:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
08 February 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
My advice is to get temporary employment at a youth hostel in France. They are always
looking for people and you actually have to know English too, and you'll get to practice
French every day. If you're lucky you get board included but you have to work shitty
hours, but it'll be really good for your French.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Kszegosz
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4572 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 3 of 14
08 February 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Probably I should be more specific. Right now I study in Poland, and I want to go to
France only for my holidays(July-September). So I have plenty of time before July to
prepare myself for those 2-3 months. Nevertheless that's great advice, because right now,
I know where I should start looking for a job.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5101 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 14
09 February 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Now that you finished Using French , go for Assimil Le Français des Affaires - Business French. It is dated but it has some interesting dialogues and texts.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7140 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 14
09 February 2015 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Based on what your wrote and your goals, one or more of these may be helpful:

a) RFE Radio Free International - Radio Francais
Facile
- This is a free daily news report with audio and a transcript. The news is 10 minutes. You could
turn the daily news into 30 minutes or more of study if you want to.
b) FSI Basic French is a thorough course based on speaking drills. If
you like it, this is a great course.
c) If you loved and felt the Assimil method was perfect, then the Business French course is good. It's about 3
hours and 30 minutes of audio. It is an ongoing story of three colleagues in the French business world.
d) If you find Listen/Reading helpful and fun. Do that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kszegosz
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4572 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 6 of 14
13 February 2015 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your advices. I decided that I do proper listening and reading with Trois
mousquetaires (I was thinking that things I was doing were l-r but I was wrong ;), some
grammar exercices and speaking.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5663 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 7 of 14
15 February 2015 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Kszegosz wrote:

I really like listening to podcasts and other audio recordings on my way to university,
but I have a problem finding good ones. Podcasts for learners are too easy, and normal
podcasts are too difficult to just listen without a transcript.

Thanks in advance for your patient with reading this long post, and any advices.

I'd say stick with podcasts. Find ones on the topics you find interesting and persevere. If you finished Using French, your level should be good enough to understand them. If you don't, it's probably because you're not used to normal speaking French. And the only way to get used to spoken French is by listening to spoken French. If you want to relatively easily understand what is said to you when you go to France this summer, you should make listening comprehension your priority.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6374 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 14
17 March 2015 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
How's LR going for you? Which recording are you using?

I found it extremely useful for increasing my French listening comprehension; typical radio is straightforward after fairly little French radio for me (but it's not my first Romance language).

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version