21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 21
20 March 2015 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
My maximum is three and only when I am not too busy otherwise. I'd say
all those people who manage to learn more need to be very good at time management and
very disciplined, which are qualities I lack.

I never learn more than 3, and that's when I'm feeling pumped up and/or I'm bored and
don't have anything else to do. I've tried more (I even tried doing a marathon of five
language classes in different languages in a day) and I was exhausted at the end, even
though I bookended it with my best languages! You can do more during a week (I am
positive about this - otherwise the Dutch school curriculum has a few problems to sort
out, given that I studied four during my high school days, namely
English/German/French/Latin next to Dutch). And 3 is usually a lot already. I'm doing
more or less four now, given that I am in China, and my other languages that I am
studying are Greek, Russian and Italian. However Chinese is something I use in daily
life here in China (no escaping it anyways), and Russian is a language I am good at,
but maintaining particularly because I want to open myself up for the opportunity to
teach that language later on myself. Greek (and Italian which is more of a fun
project; I used to have Norwegian there) are necessary preparatory things which I am
doing so I don't get lost during my next project.

Quote:
find very interesting Serpent's note on whether we would put several times
more time
into one language if we weren't learning others at the same time. I think her
assumption is correct, I wouldn't. My few months of pure French focus were somehow
efficient, yet I wasn't enjoying it as much as I enjoy learning two (or sometimes
three) languages at once even though less intensively.

I wouldn't. But others would. I notice that after three months I need fresh input
somewhere else (it's about three months; I go with my gut, not with a timer) and that
I need to switch approach. I can't switch off of Chinese for obvious reasons, but I
did severely tone down the formal study. Most of my Chinese comes from active use and
that's not time you can count, but certainly time spent improving.

Quote:
I think there is as well one more question to ponder. Most of us, from what I
read in the logs, learn actively one or two while maintaining the others (I am usually
maintaining just English and now French but some people are maintaining a dozen
languages which I find amazing and worthy of admiration). However, where is the line
between slow learning and maintenance? In past, I had been doing activities I
considered to be pure maintenance for an extended period of time. And I found out
later I either made some progress or, at least, I had prepared ground for a larger
chunk of progress shortly after return to active studying. Therefore I believe it is
well possible we are often learning more languages at once than we believe. After all,
we are getting better (=learning) even at our native languages for as long as we live
and use them, in my opinion.

Use it or lose it... some languages I would hate to lose after the time I spent on
them, like French. If my levels in Romanian or German drop a bit, that's okay... (not
that they have) but if you keep doing something in that language once every so often
(this is why I have my blog!!! I write in my better languages occasionally!) you will
improve even if slowly. And to be fair at my level sometimes the improvement isn't
noticeable, but once you get back into it you will notice that you are using details
correctly that you weren't before.

Edited by tarvos on 20 March 2015 at 4:35am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 21
20 March 2015 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
I is true that 2-3 seems a good maximum, if the goal is to get somewhere in our languages, although the best progresses seem to be made when focusing on only one language.

*If the goal is to get somewhere asap, and this also depends on whether you count passive skills as getting somewhere. For me they definitely do, so the maximum is 2-3 language families (or technically groups), like Romance/Germanic/Slavic. I wouldn't count larger families like Indo-European, although once you explore something like Finnish and Indonesian, you'll see how many similarities between English and Russian you've been overlooking. I think it's not a coincidence that many negative experiences described here were with trying to learn several Romance languages and presumably attempting to get active skills in all of them (and not by reading books either). Tarvos has more experience with unrelated languages and his limit seems higher. Now look at Prof Argüelles and the pattern gets pretty clear.

It's nice how the current discussion is basically in the European context of this debate. No "typical" Americans who've spent so much effort on learning Spanish and see how they're still not native-like and claim that it's foolish to start a new language when they see how much they still don't know. My main difference from the Europeans here is that I'm not in the EU/Schengen, and while there are definitely Russians who try to take as many weekend trips to Europe as they can, I'm not one of them. I also don't really have any random exposure to the European languages, but instead to Vietnamese/Georgian/Kazakh and the like. (and they are fascinating, but I'm not interested in learning them) Of course I'm simplifying the typical European experience, but still.

edit: as for the original quote, the definition of "focusing on one language" also varies. I often have to choose an official focus language for 6WC and three for Tadoku, but I still work on 5-15 more languages at least a bit.

Edited by Serpent on 20 March 2015 at 1:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 19 of 21
20 March 2015 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
   Tarvos has more experience with unrelated languages and his limit
seems higher. Now look at Prof Argüelles and the pattern gets pretty clear.

I don't think my limit is that much higher, I'm just more efficient at stuffing
language things into my day. And I am nowhere near the professor in terms of
discipline... I am not even anywhere near Iversen. It's true that I have more
experience with learning unrelated languages to knowns (all languages that fall within
Romance/Germanic, really), but nowadays I am starting to notice that filling in gaps
in those groups is easy - I can communicate even if it isn't necessarily very standard
what I am doing. Maybe there are more relationships between English and Russian or
Greek than between English and Chinese, but in those languages it's not enough to
matter; the vocabulary horde is still too big to bridge at once.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 21
20 March 2015 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I agree that it's more about stuffing your day than about finding the limits.

I hate discipline though. I consider myself extremely devoted, not disciplined.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 21 of 21
21 March 2015 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I don't consider myself disciplined either, no matter what anyone says about me...

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version