Korea, South
Joined 3617 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 4
16 February 2015 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time caller.

I've been learning Korean for about 6 months, now. Prior to that, I wasted a couple months doing stupid
things like memorizing isolated vocabulary lists, NOT speaking, relying on bad classroom-style classes,
and just practicing generally bad habits.

The TOPIC of this post:
I have a speaking test over the phone in two weeks, and I'd like to hear what folks have to say about
mental preparation, before a test.

About ME:
I would self identify as a very high level beginner, with stronger speaking than listening skills.
To date,
I've been heavily using Anki, to study words and sentences.
In Anki, I have a lot of sentence-level audio extractions.
I do some self-styled aural training using Audacity and DJ software (I'll be posting later about it).
I have been working with a tutor.
I have been working with a conversation partner.
I have prepared for the content-specific nature of the test, all the usual biography, weather, travel, topics,
along with some specialized vocabulary.
I have been preparing my repair strategies (Did you mean to say _____?, etc etc)
I have been preparing my BS strategies, generalisms, and circumlocutionary forms/vocab.

I am a musician, and I have a lot of experience preparing auditions, which are basically a "live assessment"
similar to a speaking test. But I suddenly realized that I haven't really strategized my test-taking, yet. Of
course, it's been on the back of my mind, but I've been focusing on language proficiency, and test-
content areas, since I obviously just want to speak the language, and not "game the test", which I don't
think is possibly anyways.

My QUESTIONS:
In my learning results, I notice an ebb and flow of my own proficiency. There are times when I surprise
myself when the words just come flowing out. And there are times when I stumble and falter below my
level. This is natural and very similar to my experiences with learning music.

I have a sense that this is related to the background processes of my mind, as I assimilate and really
integrate the language. It's sort of related to whether I'm learning a lot of new material or not. But I don't
really have control. So I'm not really learning new grammar in these last couple weeks, obviously. But I
would like to know if there are other mental/behavioralist preparations that you folks use, when you need
to prepare for a speaking-based assessment.

It might be a fanciful thought, but I'd like to hit a "plateau of stability" as I near my test date. The obvious
approach is to hone existing forms, memorize monologues (and be flexible with them), and generally
practice review/fluency and avoid expanding my range.

Other thoughts?

Sorry for length. Many thanks for your consideration and replies.

1 person has voted this message useful

sevitzky
Korea, South
Joined 3617 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 2 of 4
21 February 2015 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Hm. Disappointed at the lack of responses. Perhaps test prep is looked down upon?

Anyway, I'll just say, I've been doing a lot of work with my monologues and doing some SAFMEDS
exercises. I think SAFMEDS is a great "condensing" exercise.   The fluency-thing is really helpful.

Ok, peace out.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 4
21 February 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Either this test is for beginners and in this case I fail to understand the point in testing your speaking skill, first skill to be tested in beginners (if any) is how well they understand ;
or this test is not for beginners and you would need great speaking skill but also great listening skill because if they come with questions you don't understand your speaking skill only will be of little help ;
or maybe this test is not a language test but some kind of audition for a foreigner who will have to sing or to be an actor of some kind in korean.

sevitzky
Korea, South
Joined 3617 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 4
06 March 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
For posterity and for other people preparing for a Korean level test:

This was similar to a CEFR / ILR / ACTFL type of level assessment. It was a speaking test
over the phone administered by a large, well-respected institution. I would say my equivalent
score was a CEFR B1, though weaker on my listening skills (as I already know...). In all
honesty, I think my passing score was "weighted" or "qualified" by the nearly-adversarial
nature of learning Korean from English.

In my final preparations for the test, I jettisoned Anki, and even my listening study
materials. I moved my training to a more behaviorist route.

So I practiced my monologues, focusing on structure (hitting all the main points) and
transitions (discourse!). e.g. Tell me about your job? I want to make sure I talk about my
job history, my current responsibilities, and my field. Or something, etc.

I also practiced my monologues, focusing on speed. Something special happens you when work on
speed as a core target. Somehow, I feel the mind is able to see the bigger picture, and not
get lost in the details. The reason this is effective (for me, at least), is that it allows
you to circumlocute more easily. Small obstacles are more easily passed over when you are
still firmly grasping the big picture. This is more of a public speaking skill, and something
I learned in radio, but I think it applies to SLA.

Finally, I stopped processing new materials, and learning new words, expressions, and grammar.
But I made an exception: For the topic areas where I was comfortable speaking, I allowed
myself to practice a couple new words and expressions, as a refinement of existing
expressions. My mind is more alert when I'm learning new information. I found that by
carefully managing the input of new content, I could ride that "edge" of staying interested
and alert without going into a learning-spurt/proficiency-slump, as I mentioned in my first
post.

This was a nice breakthrough in terms of learning techniques, for me.

Hope some of this might be useful in the vertical wall climb of Korean or other language test-
takers.

peace out y'all!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version