Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4952 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 9 of 11
25 February 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
You can weed out most scammers pretty fast from the profiles. No pics, obviously fake
pics, awful spelling, hidden ads or sexual advances etc... usually country of origin may
also give you an indication. East Asia, North America, Europe are usually fine, so is
South America. Africa could be anything, so could the Arab world.

That makes me the wrong guy because I never put my picture on any profile.
That makes most french, scammers - because their french spelling is often worst than awful.
Some could call you a racist and it makes you an easy target if you think bad guys only come from Africa or Arab world. For one thing many people from African or Arabic origin live in Europe. It is so easy for scammers to put a picture and claim to be from Luxembourg or any other "clean" origin.

There are no reasons to trust more the people you meet on the internet than the people you meet on the street, more the one from lang8 than the one from skype and the other way - no reasons to trust more and no reasons to trust less.

As far as language learning is concerned - what you expect, what I expect would be conversations - and liars often make better conversations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
26 February 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
When looking for language exchange partners, I'd send a screening pm introducing myself and
asked the same from the other person. My intro included that I work in such and such
industry, am married with grown up kids, am a heritage language learner, etc. I always asked
why they were studying X language. Any follow up depended on the reply. I found this a very
good way to quickly hone in on the more serious language learners. Good luck!

Update; BTW, I approach initial chats as conversations that you might have at a party with
lots of people whom you've never met. If you talk with them again, then great. If not, well
then you've exercised your conversation skills.

Edited by Snowflake on 26 February 2015 at 2:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

SevenSyndicate
United States
Joined 3677 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 11
14 March 2015 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
tarvos wrote:
You can weed out most scammers pretty fast from the profiles. No pics, obviously fake
pics, awful spelling, hidden ads or sexual advances etc... usually country of origin may
also give you an indication. East Asia, North America, Europe are usually fine, so is
South America. Africa could be anything, so could the Arab world.

That makes me the wrong guy because I never put my picture on any profile.
That makes most french, scammers - because their french spelling is often worst than awful.
Some could call you a racist and it makes you an easy target if you think bad guys only come from Africa or Arab world. For one thing many people from African or Arabic origin live in Europe. It is so easy for scammers to put a picture and claim to be from Luxembourg or any other "clean" origin.

There are no reasons to trust more the people you meet on the internet than the people you meet on the street, more the one from lang8 than the one from skype and the other way - no reasons to trust more and no reasons to trust less.

As far as language learning is concerned - what you expect, what I expect would be conversations - and liars often make better conversations.

I agree what he said is kind of racist. And I'm with you, I rarely put a picture on any site. I use lang-8 a lot and the best indicator I have always used is to see how much they have posted. I get friends requests all the time on lang-8 and the first thing I do is check their profile, if they post a lot and actually seem to be making an effort, I accept it. If not I don't. As for skype though I couldn't really give you any tips other than trying to find out as much as you can about the person before calling them. And as for italki I have never had an issue. Overall though I wouldn't sweat it too much, at the end of the day this is the internet we're talking about. If you don't like someone, remove them. Simple as that. The internet is not like the real world, you can remove people from your life with little to no consequence.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version