CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5237 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 4
06 March 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

First, I read a lot on the different positions between MSA and dialect. Still, after reading the many posts on this forum and others website, I can't still make my mind for the following reasons:

- My girlfriend is Lebanese. She speaks Levantine Arabic. She doesn't understand MSA as she was born and raise in Canada. So, I wouldn't be able to practice MSA with her.

- Her mother speak both Levantine and MSA.

- Both told me, I should learn Egyptian arabic because of his cultural influence. That way, I would be understandable to much of the 'arabic world'. At the same time, I have concern about practicing with my girlfriend as she wouldn't pronounce the word the same way as Egyptian speakers do (ex. : 'ye' vs 'a' = yes).

- MSA would give me a solide foundation but I wouldn't be able to speak for a couple of years till I get a solid foundation in MSA and I start a dialect.

- I want to read, listen and speak in Arabic.

With those considerations, I would like to know which Arabic would be more pertinent in my case. Also, I would appreciate any learning material you could propose in (French, Engish or Spanish).

Thank you for your time.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 4
06 March 2015 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
If you want to speak learn dialect first, and learn the one they speak because it's what
you will need to understand
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4824 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
06 March 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I can tell you from experience that switching dialects is really hard at the beginner
stages - and the beginning stage with Arabic takes a long time to work through!

The problem I found is that the various beginner courses all use a different dialect.
To wit:

Egyptian:
Michel Thomas
Pimsleur I

Levantine:
Pimsleur I-III (with rumors of Level IV pending)
Syrian Colloquial Arabic
Your girlfriend and her mother

MSA:
Pimsleur I
FSI (really hard, no answer key)
Living Language (LL courses are beginner's level, despite having an 'advanced' tag)
Assimil (French based; gets mixed reviews. I hated it)
Mastering Arabic (Jane Wightwick)

Koran Focused:
Madina Book

I'd say your real choice is between Levantine and MSA. I never found enough courses
out there on Egyptian Arabic. Also, it will take years to be able to understand
movies; I can't imagine reaching that level in Arabic without immersion. Others might
have had better luck than me.

It's a tough choice. I would probably start with Levantine Pimsleur and the Syrian
book. I used it awhile back (when it was still free!), and really liked it at first.
It's not perfect for the autodidact (not all the dialogues were translated), so your
girlfriend and mom will probably have to help you after the fourth or fifth chapter.

2 persons have voted this message useful

thulé
Triglot
France
Joined 3500 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 4
07 March 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
There is a lot of material out there if you want to learn Egyptian Arabic. There is Kallimni arabi which is a very good course.
Since your girlfriend is from Lebanon, it makes more sense to learn Levantine Arabic I guess.
If you are serious about learning Arabic you need to learn MSA plus a dialect. If you don't learn MSA at some point you will hit a brick wall and won't be able to make progress any more. It really depends on your goals. If what you are aiming for is conversational Arabic then you don't need to learn MSA.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version