Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply

strickvl
Bilingual Tetraglot
Pro Member
Jordan
alexstrick.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4633 days ago

27 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Persian, Pashto, Dari
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 2
08 March 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm a semi-beginner in Arabic. I did a long course ages ago but am now only getting back into things and reviving
my language. I'm working more and more on improving things through the use of graded readers -- in particular
the Sahlawayhi series.

My question, though, was whether I should read out loud or just read in my head (as if I was reading in English).
When I learnt to read in English, we were always taught to read out loud, so I was wondering what the
advantages/disadvantages are to either method. My pronunciation is fairly good, so that shouldn't be the reason
for reading out loud I think.

Any studies on this? Or just hard-learnt thoughts/lessons?

Thank you in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
08 March 2015 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
What about doing both?

When you read out loud and you do it well that means that you structure complex information in a way that makes it easy for a listener to understand the text without the advantages of reading him/herself, that is, being able to speed up and slow down at will, to reread passages and skip back and forth to cross-reference information or pick up back at the point where your attention faded.
To me, that means the level of engagement with the text is different. When I compare reading a text once either silently or out loud, I actually remember more factual information when I read it silently but I remember more of the structure of the text, the way it was written, the way the arguments were presented when I read it out loud. I also tend to ignore details I don't understand when I read silently.
That becomes even more apparent when reading in one of my weaker languages. For example, I just started reading a pop science book in French and for some reason I need to 'warm up' by reading a paragraph out loud to find my pace. If I don't do that I find myself arriving at the end of a page to realize that I have puzzled together the meaning of most of the unknown words I encountered but I don't remember what the text actually said.
For English I sometimes read out loud for fun, and then I often have to realize that there are some words I don't know how to pronounce correctly because I never use them myself, or I stumble over the prosody of a phrase.

But I for one can't read out loud for hours on end. I might possibly be able to mumble along to what I am reading, but that's neither here nor there, irritating for anyone in the vicinity and probably a good way to get used to bad pronunciation.

So ... what about trying out both for different kinds of text to see which one works better at a given time for a given text?
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version