Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5003 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 11
09 March 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
This is really embarrassing, but it's crippling my confidence and I thought I would ask for
input before asking *native speakers*.

So I'm told my pronunciation is good. Actually I've been told by lots of people that I
don't have an accent -- I don't believe that, but they seem sincere and honestly baffled
and I'm not asking them for feedback or anything. I get mistaken for a native speaker a
lot.

BUT .....

I feel like people have SO much trouble understanding me!! It's so embarrassing and I can't
figure what I'm doing wrong. I am TERRIFIED to open my mouth as it gets worse and worse. I
hang around other non-native speakers and I don't see them having the same problem.
Meaning, the native speakers seem to have no trouble understanding their VERY thick and
noticable to my ears foreign accents. If my pronunciation is supposed to be so good, why
can't people understand me???

I feel so discouraged because I shouldn't have to have a perfect accent in my second
language (how many people do?? Not very many!) but I do need to be confident that when I
open my mouth people will understand me. I just get more and more nervous and end up
shutting myself off from native speakers.

Any ideas what is going on? I am too embarrassed to ask people why they can't understand
me. Someone did tell me I speak softly, but that shouldn't account for all of the problem.
THis needs to stop!! I desperately want to have relationships with native speakers!!
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4994 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 11
09 March 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
What language are you speaking? Is it Iraqi Arabic?

Strength of accent isn't always correlated with intelligibility. Some people with very obvious foreign accents are
easy to understand because they speak slowly, distinctly, and consistently. Some native speakers speak quickly
and mumble. So it's very possible that your accent is close to native, yet hard to understand.

-Is the problem real? What exactly do you mean when you say people don't understand you?
-Do you ever have this problem in your native language?
-Is your grammar good? It doesn't help to have a good accent, if the thing you're trying to say is wrong.
-Are you speaking too quickly or too softly? It could be as simple as slowing down and speaking up.
-Do you mumble? Work on enunciating the words clearly, both in your native and second language.
-Are you speaking the same dialect/accent as the people who can't understand you? If not, it's not your fault.

The most important thing is not to lose your confidence. People DO care what you have to say. Repeat yourself
until they understand you. If they do not listen, they don't deserve your company.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 11
09 March 2015 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Darya0Khoshki wrote:
I get mistaken for a native speaker a lot.
BUT .....
I feel like people have SO much trouble understanding me!!

[...]

If my pronunciation is supposed to be so good, why can't people understand me???

Something doesn't quite add up. I can't imagine a situation where I would believe someone is a native speaker after hearing them talk, but without understanding them well. That just doesn't add up. Or do you mean that your pronunciation of individual words is good but that your knowledge of the language is poor?

I'd like to help, but the question just doesn't make sense as you presented it.

Edited by Arekkusu on 09 March 2015 at 8:46pm

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5003 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 

Message 4 of 11
09 March 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Robarb, that's helpful.

Areksu, I'm as baffled as you are! LOL. Not that people can NEVER understand me, just that I
feel like I have to worry SO MUCH about whether or not I'm going to be understood.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5316 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 11
10 March 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Darya0Khoshki wrote:
Robarb, that's helpful.

Areksu, I'm as baffled as you are! LOL. Not that people can NEVER understand me, just that I
feel like I have to worry SO MUCH about whether or not I'm going to be understood.

You could look for an online coach, a native speaker whom you will fill in on this issue and whose sole purpose could be to help you through this phase. Take is slowly and see what gives.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5161 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 6 of 11
11 March 2015 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I can't imagine a situation where I would believe someone is a native speaker after hearing them talk, but without understanding them well.

Politicians, economists, snake oil sellers of any kind... your pick, really. If you think you understand them and you don't feel the urge to reach for your wallet / punch them in the face, you don't actually understand what they say ;)

OK, a bit more seriously, if your pronunciation is really OK, then you should start questioning what you in fact say. Maybe you make poor word choices, or go in roundabouts too often. Compare what you say with what others (who are not "hard to understand") would or do say.

Edit: I overlooked robarb's neat summary of the question, sorry.

Edited by mrwarper on 11 March 2015 at 1:42pm

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5003 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 

Message 7 of 11
11 March 2015 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks.

I think volume and mumbling / lack of speaking with clarity and confidence are a factor. There
may also be issues of word choice and perhaps intonation but I have finding that as I raise my
voice the problem is significantly improved.

I get asked to repeat myself to a lesser extent but still I feel somewhat consistently in my
native language as well and I think it's a lack of speaking loudly and clearly.

Thanks! The more success I have, the more my confidence grows.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 11
11 March 2015 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm nearing 25 and finally starting to discover how often people don't *really* understand what I tell them, and how my style is abstract and concise and usually if they do understand, they'll ask many questions if they care enough. Maybe there's nothing *wrong* with your speech, it can just be harder to understand if someone's way of thinking is different. Have mercy for these poor people ;)

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version