Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 4027 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 11
09 March 2015 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
After having reached something around the B1 in Spanish, A1 in Italian (although way
higher in understanding), and A2 in German, I wanted to work on my Italian with harry
potter, and in order to refresh my Spanish vocab, I was thinking about reading both
versions of a same book simultaneously. Would anyone advise that, or advise against that?
Would it be too difficult not to mix both languages?
And what about reading it in German as well, at the same time? Would it be too time-
consuming? Or would it have advantages? I have never learnt by reading a same book in 2
languages at the same time, so I would be curious to know where this method would lead.
Any experiences to share?

Edited by guiguixx1 on 09 March 2015 at 8:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4944 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 11
09 March 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I tried such an experiment once and gave up.

The time wasn't an issue, reading more books at once or one after the other is in the
end quite the same. However, I can see two troubles there:
1.It's not fun for me and fun is a large part of the input activities for me. I do not
reread books right away either.
2.I always try to do different activities in different languages, unless I am already
good at both. I believe it beneficial not to do the same kind of thing in both on the
same day and reading the same book is an extreme example of it.

Another case is reading in a language you are already strong at and in a weak one as
well, which is basically a longer and more interesting parallel text than most you can
find preprepared on the market.
5 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4456 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 11
09 March 2015 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Another case is reading in a language you are already strong at and in a weak one as
well, which is basically a longer and more interesting parallel text than most you can
find preprepared on the market.

I find that terribly boring as well.

but back to the original question:
Why not change the language after each chapter? This would avoid the boring re-read.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 4027 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 11
09 March 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:

Why not change the language after each chapter? This would avoid the boring re-read.

Yes, but one of the goals with reading in both Italian and Spanish was to keep Spanish
words while reading the Italian translation and learn those words.

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4323 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 5 of 11
09 March 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Hmm...right now I'm reading two Star Trek books, one in German and one in French (different novels, but both in the ST franchise). I'm also watching Star Trek in Italian from time to time...I don't find it especially confusing. I think maybe reading the exact same book at the same time would become boring, but I don't see there being any problems with mixing up languages.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4994 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 11
10 March 2015 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
That's similar to using parallel texts, except that both languages are ones you're learning instead of just one. I can't
imagine that it would be harmful to read that way, although repeating the content is boring for some. There's
probably little or no advantage other than that the support of the stronger language makes it easier to understand
the weaker language and therefore get more exposure to it quickly. But for this, I prefer to read books in the weaker
language that I have already read in the past, rather than at the same time.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7140 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 11
10 March 2015 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
If it's a "super book" - one that you can read in your native language repeatedly and still get more and more
out of - AND I've got strong B level skills in both languages, then I can do it.

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 8 of 11
10 March 2015 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
I'm doing that right now with Grimm fairy-tales. I
read in German and check with French. It's