France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 4034 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 9 of 11
10 March 2015 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
I read the first Harry Potter book as a parallel text, English and Breton, with decent results when I had just a few weeks of Breton behind me and there was no way I would be able to read the book otherwise. It took me the greater part of a year. I am actually currently re-reading it without the parallel text, to see how much I have learnt since finishing my self-study course and reading another novel in between.

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to work in a similar fashion again. I have explicitly avoided parallel reading with Italian, though, because I understand it so well, thanks to French, that it would most likely bore me.

I'm no expert, and can only look to my own experiences, but at B1 in one language and A1 in another I'd avoid parallel reading in two languages as close as Spanish and Italian. I wouldn't be able to separate the two if I used the same time, the same space, and the same story, to learn these languages, especially since I'd be learning new words, new conjugations and new grammar, all very similar. If I didn't want to produce the languages myself, only understand them, then ok, but I wouldn't be able to remember whether the new things I learn are Italian or Spanish this way. All of my sensory memories associated with the learning process would be borderless, exactly the same even.

For comparison's sake, this is how close the translations are:

Edited by eyðimörk on 10 March 2015 at 11:47am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5101 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 10 of 11
11 March 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I usually read in a language I'm learning + English or Portuguese.
This year I tried German + French. It worked. My French is way better than my German for me to focus on my German only. What didn't work for me was trying to pay attention at both languages as for learning both at the same time. This and reading similar languages. So I will definitely avoid Spanish + Italian, for example. In the case of Assimil, I have to use Italian + French but I try to avoid looking at the French as much as I can. It is easier to just look up the missing Italian words elsewhere, because Italian is almost a transparent language now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 11
12 March 2015 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I love parallel texts but yeah I prefer using one I can actually use as reference, such as English or Finnish. I generally don't reread books immediately, but I've just cruised through "Death on the Nile" by Agatha Christie in Portuguese and I went back to the beginning to catch the clues properly. I think it could be interesting to go back to the beginning of a crime book when the murder happens, and then to start reading it in a third language when the mystery has been solved. HP books also have their own mysteries, so maybe it could work.

For me the LR method works even better with L2/L3 though. Have you considered it?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version