Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How to make a decent language gathering?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
theyweed
Poland
Joined 3747 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 5
10 March 2015 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted to know whether you have some experience as far as language gathering is concerned.
We've managed to get ~20 people involved, but we crave for something more than small-talks. Do
you have any idea how such a meeting might look like. I've been thinking about making those, who've
reached C1/C2 tutors. Of course it'd involve a great commitment, but on the other hand it'd be a
great experience, for I've seen mentioned somewhere that teaching other people makes one learn
faster. OK, so why would it require an enormous involvement? The idea is to print a text written in a
given language and then discuss it - a tutor would ask question, explain unknown notions (without
reference to native language definitions, but using his surrounding and creativity to elucidate some
issues), everything in total immersion enviroment.
The matching pairs small talks (A1-A1 etc.), principally A level seem to have no sense to me and there
are two reasons that make think of it as an idle undertaking. The first is rather staightforward: it
stands to reason that a conversation held by people who have only rudimental knowledge of a
language is very limited and brings about to tedious topics. Mimicry of scenes in a bar or in a hotel
(unless someone knows that they will use a language only as a utensil of survive in a country X) is just
boring. The second issue is that speaking is hampered by a well-grounded concern about co-speaker
level and we'd rather avoid hearing someone who constantly uses bad structures etc.
I'm aware of a fact that the chance of success here is rather small, so I'd need more down-to-earth
idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6844 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
10 March 2015 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Have you seen this thread?
Polyglot Gathering Berlin

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 5
11 March 2015 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
What kind of gathering are you talking about? A big one-off thing like the above Polyglot Gathering, or a regular event like a Meetup for people to come and practise languages?

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3747 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 4 of 5
14 March 2015 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Actually I've been thinking about a meetup-like-meeting, avoiding at the same time the usual meetup
form, which seems kinda challenging, as I lack an idea how it might look like.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 5
14 March 2015 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I need some input here too! A friend and I started a meetup, and because we didn't know what else to do we started to make a bilingual version of the Taboo game, and at the meetups we would do some catching up, some introductions, playing the game together, and then conversations would develop, but often between people who knew each other before or between native speakers of the same language. One issue, of course, is that the other group is in a different situation, they have to live in a foreign country and learn its language quickly, while for us it's mostly a personal interest or something we want to use some time in the future.
Now we got the feedback that we should do something else, but I don't know what to do.
That is, I don't expect most of the group members to use those meetups for intensive learning, but I'd like them to get to know new people, to use their target language whenever they can, and I hope to develop a better group dynamic to make the evening more enjoyable. And whatever we do shouldn't be expensive.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version