Choosing a language

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4278 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 1 of 9
14 March 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Next language
Please, help me choosing my next language.

I’d like to add one more language to my list aside from Russian which I have just
started with Assimil with Ease series.

I am considering one of the following ones: French, Lithuanian, Latvian, Arabic,
Estonian, Finnish or Hungarian. A non-Indo European language will be my priority here.

I am interested in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia as I have been there before. I’d like
to visit the Baltic countries again for personal purposes. Of course, one could say
that perhaps Russian would be more interesting as it is spoken by certain amount of
the population (at least in the big cities it was so).

As long as I have researched, Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian lacks in good resources
such as textbooks and dictionaries for foreigners. (My biased opinion).

Finno-Ugric family
I am interested in this group for Linguistics purpose, but I also would like to read
some must read Finnish, Estonian or Hungarian books as well. I have taken a look on
their profile written by Chung and I have found them pretty interesting as he gathered
the main resources and many other interesting features.

Afro-Asiatic: Arabic
My main concern is which Arabic should I learn first? What Arabic is mutually
intelligible at most in terms of speaking and writing?
If I find good resources for beginners, I will probably pick up Arabic as its writing
system is different and perhaps because there will be more books written in Arabic
than in any of the languages I have already cited.

French
I would pick up this language just to rest my brain as I have already studied 8 years
ago and I haven’t found challenging at all. It would be just in case I want to be lazy
since I have intention to visit neither France nor some of French speaking countries
again. Perhaps it would be due to their literature as I missed some of the greatest
works written originally in French.
1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5895 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 9
14 March 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
For Arabic, most recommend starting off with MSA, but it seems like many people who do
this end up rather discouraged because MSA only indirectly helps in understanding the
vernacular dialects across the Arab world. Perhaps you might try starting off with the
Egyptian or Levantine dialect? (Egyptian is the most popular because of numbers and
centrality, but many people seem to find the Levant to be one of the most interesting
regions in the Arab world.)

Edited by lichtrausch on 14 March 2015 at 3:11pm

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 3 of 9
14 March 2015 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
French would probably be the easiest, if just for the extreme amount of resources. I'm
not familiar with a lot of the others, or whether or not they're super close to
Russian,
but you said yourself that they don't have a lot of resources.

As far as Arabic goes, it's usually best to learn MSA (Modern Standard, or Written
Arabic) first, as it makes it easier to branch off into dialects once it's learned.
It's also the language of most Arabic news websites which allows you to use that as a
learning resource. For dialects, Levantine and Iraqi are close enough where if you
choose one of them first, learning the other won't take too long. Egyptian has a lot
of resources, but it's fairly distant from the other dialects, which would make
learning new dialects take longer. I'd only learn Egyptian if you had travel plans for
there or really wanted to learn using Egyptian movies as a resource.

I'd like to add though, that students at DLI who learn Arabic dialects such as
Levantine, learn both MSA written and their dialect at the same time, so if you're
truly dedicated, this can be done also.

Edited by Silvance on 14 March 2015 at 4:54pm

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 4 of 9
14 March 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I've been trying to make a new topic for this, but it keeps posting it in here, so I
guess this is where language choice questions go, so sorry about the double post.

I'm a recent graduate of Pashto at DLI, and I'm looking to pick up another language in
the region that has similarities with Pashto. While Pashto doesn't directly stem from
another major language, it takes a lot of vocab from Persian, and Urdu takes a lot of
vocab from Pashto. Due to this I think I could learn either language in a fairly short
amount of time (6-8 months) but I'm having trouble deciding which.

Which language do you think would be more useful/easier/have more resources?

Edited by Silvance on 14 March 2015 at 4:58pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 9
15 March 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Silvance wrote:
I've been trying to make a new topic for this, but it keeps posting
it in here, so I
guess this is where language choice questions go, so sorry about the double post.

I'm a recent graduate of Pashto at DLI, and I'm looking to pick up another language in
the region that has similarities with Pashto. While Pashto doesn't directly stem from
another major language, it takes a lot of vocab from Persian, and Urdu takes a lot of
vocab from Pashto. Due to this I think I could learn either language in a fairly short
amount of time (6-8 months) but I'm having trouble deciding which.

Which language do you think would be more useful/easier/have more resources?

In this case I think it's a toss-up either way, but if you're thinking about your work
in the area I would actually advise Dari. That's the Afghan dialect of Persian which
will be of more immediate use to you.

As for the rest I don't think it matters, especially because for the most part Hindi
resources can also be used if you're studying Urdu.

To Tomohiro: pick a Baltic language anyway. It doesn't matter that there are less
resources. If you like them you'll put in the effort to find them, and besides you'll
have a skill most of us unfortunately lack. As for Arabic, pick the dialect of the
area you're most likely to travel in and learn that along with MSA. If you have no
travel plans or affinity for a particular variant, pick Egyptian. I recommend dialect
first, plus learning the alphabet.

Edited by tarvos on 15 March 2015 at 8:37am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 9
15 March 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Tomohiro wrote:
I’d like to add one more language to my list aside from Russian which I have just started with Assimil with Ease series.

Generally I'm all for learning several languages, but isn't it too early? Wanting to start a new language at the slightest difficulty is not a good sign.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4278 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 7 of 9
15 March 2015 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
It is interesting because I got different suggestions on here. Thank you all!

I have no realistic plans to travel in the next few years to any Arabic speaking
regions or affinity for a particular variant. So, Egyptian or Levantine Arabic will
depend more on the amount of high quality resources I will find to purchase. It would
be great if I have any opportunity to see the physical book before purchasing it.

Between Levantine and Iraqi, I would perhaps choose the first as I have found more
Levantine Arabic resources so far.

Perhaps what Tarvos suggested me is similar to what Benny has told other people
before. (http://www.fluentin3months.com/msa-or-dialect/)

On resources

I usually tell my acquaintances that one of the biggest problems that many experienced
language learners face is the serious lack of decent material and online tools to
learn from, especially when it comes to “minor” languages. Even though Arabic is
widely spoken and important languages, I believe that it shouldn’t be an issue to find
reliable resources of Arabic for foreigners.

1.Arabicpod101

There are some problems which was already reviewed by Mr. Donovan on:
http://www.mezzoguild.com/arabicpod101-review/
It is a pity that Arabicpod101 seems to be focused on Moroccan variant as it is out of
my plans to start with. “I would highly recommend ArabicPod101 to anyone interested in
learning Moroccan Arabic since there isn’t much out there for the Moroccan dialect at
present”

2.http://www.talkinarabic.com/
As Mr. Donovan studied with TTMIK, I think he decided to create together with his Arab
friends a course which he would provide almost everything he has never found on other
resources. Apparently he is rather focusing on quality over quantity which is what I
would expect.
To read what he has written: http://www.mezzoguild.com/how-to-speak-arabic/

3. http://arabicpod.net/
Does anyone know anything about this website? I think they focus on Lebanese variant,
but I am unsure about it.

I will need patience and time to find out more information about other resources.

Serpent wrote:
Generally I'm all for learning several languages, but isn't it too
early? Wanting to start a new language at the slightest difficulty is not a good sign.

Well, I have a great motivation to learn Russian. First, I would like to travel within
some of Russian speaking countries, including some I have visited before. I also have
some pen pals from Ukraine, Belarus and Russia who help me improving my skills almost
on daily basis (Sunday to Friday). I am aware that I have seen only the tip of the
iceberg as I have managed to finish only half (50 units) of Assimil with Ease which is
an easy book.

However, I haven’t had much trouble so far as I can understand the audio (it is
obviously very slow and for beginners such as me) and I retained most of the
vocabulary and notes’ explanation as I review 10 random lessons every day. I did and I
still do lots of L-R and shadowing.

Besides that, I have previously read about Russian linguistics (syntax, morphology,
phonology) some time ago and I found Russian pretty interesting. It is much more a
matter of vocabulary which is not related to my “strongest” languages at the moment
and I still believe that I won’t have many problems with Russian cases, aspect, etc.

In addition, there are lots of VK communities where people post some interesting
things. I am also fond of watching Russian football games and listen to many Russian
songs which are very great imo (at least the ones I am listening to).

I am not afraid of learning both Russian and Arabic simultaneously. I have read
Lucca’s blog some time ago and despite the fact that he suggested focusing on “one
problem at a time”, it is a matter of perspective, time, dedication etc. For instance,
I myself have previously started learning Chinese, Korean, German, Galician, Spanish
and Catalan simultaneously. Of course, Galician, Spanish and Catalan count as 1/5
(0,2) languages each accordingly to my biased and crazy criteria. So, I would say that
I have studied “4” languages simultaneously and I haven’t problem at all, aside from
the Portuguese interference in Spanish and Galician in terms of speaking (which I
didn’t care much).

I am not in a hurry to learn Arabic. I will start gathering as much information as I
can about textbooks and dictionaries as they are expensive. I am also willing to do
what I have done before with other languages as well. I usually start reading about my
target language’s phonology/morphology and syntax, not necessarily in this order.

Perhaps one of the main difficulties when learning a new language it is its extensive
vocabulary, especially when it is not close related to any of the previous languages
you have been maintaining.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3982 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 8 of 9
16 March 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Do Lithuanian.