ericblair
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 21
30 March 2015 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
What is nonesense? her saying it takes 2 years for an error-free Arabic sentence to be
said? Or her view of MSA versus dialect first?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5196 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 10 of 21
30 March 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
For a typical twice-a-week-language-class scenario - which is how the majority of grown-up language learners probably start, two years seems appropriate.

In an interview with a professor of Arabic he mentions (about 6 min into the video) that some of his students manage to reach an intermediate level already within one year. It depends. They are probably doing more homework.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 21
30 March 2015 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
What is nonesense? her saying it takes 2 years for an error-free
Arabic sentence to be
said? Or her view of MSA versus dialect first?

The first one is nonsense. If I repeat a native speaker's sentence, it's error-free.
If I say a simple greeting correctly, it's error-free. What she means is that it takes
two years to be almost completely fully functional as a human being - this I can
believe, but even then I fear that someone is being fairly inefficient when studying
Arabic. I would say it's even ridiculous with regard to any language. If you're going
to follow an inefficient language class approach then YES it is going to take two
years, but I don't see why anyone would take a route that slow, unless they're like me
and have to juggle 17 other languages at the same time (and even then I could find the
time to get to B1 Arabic in half a year easily enough; probably even less).

With regards to MSA vs dialect, I also disagree, but here you have a lot more leeway
depending on personal goals. I would always start with dialect first but that has way
more to do with my lifestyle and goals than it has to do with any academic study of
the language (and I am not studying Arabic at this point in time anyway).

Edited by tarvos on 30 March 2015 at 5:42am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5996 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 21
30 March 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
@ericblair: I agree with tarvos, and that's why I started with MSA.

Confused? Don't be. If you look at his argumentation, he says you should follow the method that best suits your needs, in order to attain your goals.

So, if you want to hit the ground running in a short period of time, you should choose a dialect. Given its entertainment-based diffusion, Egyptian would probably be your best bet.

However, if you want to find a common denominator, valid across the Arabic-speaking world, you should go with MSA. This approach will give you a wider vision of the language, albeit taking longer.

I really don't want to reopen the discussion one more time, but I'd like to give an example (in topics):

1. I studied Arabic for 5 years with a Tunisian teacher. From day one, he told us he would be teaching us MSA, and that's what he did.

2. One colleague was a Portuguese engineer that had worked for a few years in Morocco. As he used French in his everyday life, the local expressions he picked up were few and far between. Yet, in 3 or 4 years, he went shopping, got to travel a little, got invited to parties, etc.

3. As a result, he picked up a lot of isolated expressions, which he always thought to be Arabic. This as default, of course, since he knew that Moroccan is one of the toughest dialects, since a) it was developed independently, and b) is full of Berber words and expressions.

4. What happened is that, every now and then, this colleague would venture an expression, and our teacher would smile and tell him "no, that's dialect", or "I don't know that one". If you add the fact that he is Tunisian (closer to Morocco), you get a glimpse of the diversity it entails.

My point is: by starting with MSA, you may (admittedly after a longer period of time) then learn one or more dialects. If you start with a dialect, you can never be sure whether what you're saying is local or global.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 13 of 21
31 March 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
tarvos, 6 months to B1 for Arabic seems quite ambitious. Care to share what your plan of
action would be? I'm curious!

Luso, nice post. I think from what everyone is saying that MSA is a it of a no-brainer
in my situation. I will take that as far as I can, test to get it on paper in my favor,
and then readjust for a dialect if/when I get an opportunity to do work abroad. if that
never comes, I will just work on MSA indefinitely and work on any dialect that catches my
attention down the road. Though I think I am partial to the Saudi Arabic course from FSI.
Looks quite thorough!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 21
31 March 2015 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
The same as my plan for every other language. I have reached B1 Chinese in 6 months as
well, and I reached B2 Swedish/Romanian in 6 months! In Arabic, I imagine the
diglossia complicates things a bit, but I wouldn't do things very differently, and I
don't have characters to contend with in Arabic.

I would pick a dialect, start learning that (in my case, Levantine) and learn the
alphabet and pronunciation concomitantly. (particularly the Levantine dialect
pronunciation). I would get a tutor to instruct me on how the dialect works
(preferably from Lebanon or Palestine) and work from there. Once I have a solid grasp
of the dialect basics I would move on to reading simple texts.

I would try to find materials aimed at the dialect specifically. After 3 months of
familiarization with the dialect I would dive more into MSA and written material.

I would also stage immersion in a Levantine-speaking country (preferably Israel or
Lebanon).

Nothing different from what I have done elsewhere. The only thing I would do is drop
most of my other activities and focus on preparing for that language trip/immersion.

But keep in mind that would be from a travel perspective - I have no intention of
becoming a religious scholar and Classical Arabic is out of the question - MSA is just
there to understand news reports and so on at a later level should I wish to go there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5996 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 21
31 March 2015 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
The choice of a dialect might be a treat in itself. To help you choose, we could take a look at a map that I use sometimes:

Please note that what follows is not based on dozens of papers, but it's not wild speculation either. Where I don't know, I say it.

Roughly speaking, you have three or four major dialects that have diverged from the "classical" language. This happened mainly in important centres of learning, capitals of important dynasties, or heavily populated cities, such as Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo, Cordoba, Fez, etc.

- Levantine: Umayyad dynasty; Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan.
- Iraqi: Abbasid dynasty; Iraq, and formerly further to the East.
- Egyptian: Fatimids, Mamluks, ...; Egypt (similar to most Saudi dialects).
- Maghrebi: several dynasties; Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and formerly large parts of the Iberian Peninsula.

I didn't mention the Gulf cluster, because I really don't know it. I understand dialects in the region are similar to one another, but little more.

Some peculiarities:

- Most Saudis don't speak Gulf dialects, because they tend to live near the Red Sea; hence, due to trade, their dialects (Hijazi, even Najdi) are closer to Egyptian. Same with coastal Yemenis.
- Due to isolation, some dialects are a lot closer to "classical" Arabic: these include Hassaniya (apparently, Mauritanians traded more via Trans-Saharan routes than with Moroccans), Libyan (semi-isolated between Egypt and Maghreb) and, more understandably, nomads and mountain folk from the Arabian Peninsula.
- Interestingly, I'd say that, due to geography, it's easier to find common dialects across seas (Red Sea, Persian Gulf) than places linked by land (but rendered inhospitable by deserts); note especially the Red Sea symmetry.
- In some regions, we find dialects with significant influences from completely unrelated languages, such as Farsi, Kurdish and Berber; some versions can even be considered creoles (like in some regions of Africa).

So, here it is. I hope you have fun learning Arabic (MSA and then your dialect of choice).
5 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4586 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 16 of 21
31 March 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I'll add that Yemeni Arabic is a single color on the map but the country has insane dialectal variation within its borders.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version