Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Maapsold
Germany
Joined 3452 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 1 of 8
22 April 2015 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
So I would like to bring my english to a high level. It used to be a bit better (8.0 IELTS some years
ago) than it is now. I need to read (more and more also to write) a lot of english academic texts in
university (economics), and generally I like to read (all english) scientific papers, blogs and books in
various subjects (mainly social sciences). Of course, exact comprehension is very important -
guessing the meaning of single unknown words from the context is negligent most of the time -
and so I am constantly forced looking up words in a dictionary. Also, I would love to travel more
and maybe even live abroad! Shouldn’t be lost time improving my english :-)

I am prepared to spend about an hour a day on formal practice for the next 2-3 years.

Grammar

About 30 minutes on two of three days.
For the first months(weeks), I would like to study the „English Grammar“ by Cornelsen. It is made
for pupils of ages 15-19 and there are two additional practice books available. This shall serve as a
brush-up on my current grammar knowledge.
After that, I would like to use the „Practical English Usage“ by Michael Swan, as it was mentioned
quite often in this forum.
Any material to be learnt will be put in an Anki Deck and repeated appropriately.

Pronunciation

About an hour a week.
I will learn the International Phonetic Alphabet with the help of a private teacher for some lessons. I
want to make sure that I am able to hear and speak the different sounds correctly. I am not sure
what follows after that, but I think it will be a mix of a pronunciation drills and some online
pronunciation courses.

Vocabulary

About 30 minutes a day.
I would like to create two different decks in Anki for learning vocabulary.

The first deck will be as following:

Front: term
Back (basically content of the Cambridge dictionary):     phonetic transcription
                                                      definition 1, example sentences
                                                      (definition 2, example sentences) etc.

Any terms which I read/hear and which I am not able to conclude by context will be added.
I know that most people are very skeptic of learning definitions of terms, and even more skeptic of
learning terms with more than one meaning. I sure would appreciate to get some feedback on this.

The second deck will be a common native language to target language deck. Any vocabulary that I
need to look up while writing a text will be added.

Thank you for reading - any feedback will be highly appreciated :-)

Edited by Maapsold on 22 April 2015 at 7:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4468 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 8
22 April 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
If you are as advanced as you say you were, then I don't think you need to do any more formal grammar study or use flash cards to learn vocabulary. I would read a lot, and try to push yourself a bit to read somewhat more difficult books (so long as they are enjoyable - motivation is important) and watch lots of TV/movies. Netflix or the equivalent will give you lots of English language programming at minimal cost. Also regularly reading an English language newspaper like the Guardian (which is free) will help broaden your vocabulary.

A tutor for speaking be helpful, though I suspect if you are getting lots of input, your level will improve quite quickly and naturally.

Maapsold
Germany
Joined 3452 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 3 of 8
24 April 2015 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your feedback! :-)

Reading an English language newspaper is a great tip. I will definitely do that as soon as my
current subscription is ending.
I am watching movies, reading books (academic books and non-fiction books) and like 90% of my
time spent at the internet is on English sites. Though I maybe was advanced at that point (the
IELTS test was before my Abitur), I am very unhappy with the current level of my English. There is a
huge amount of unknown words I run over every day. My pronunciation is not very good. Neither is
my use of grammar. I appreciate your input very much, but I have a strong feeling that I need to do
some formal work. :-)

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3606 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
25 April 2015 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Oh, that was a detailed plan.

Reaching a very solid C2 which is your goal means various things. Even the most
detailed CEFR definitions leave some wiggle room and there are overlaps between the
higher levels (i.e. B2, C1 and C2).

While the CEFR scale has got a lot of uses, it is sometimes practical to define one's
goals differently. Where do you feel you need to progress more? What do you want to
improve? I hope I understood your plans in your post correctly because I think
"pronunciation" and "vocabulary" may lead to different interpretations.

Maapsold, to bring your English up, you're going to have to work, hard. If you really
want it, that means a lot of hard work as anyone would need to do to reach a solid C2.
You'll need to read extensively, and, better than watching films, in my opinion, is
watching (and finishing) a TV series - or many.

Your English is at a high level, but you want to take it higher. I think you should
keep this positive attitude if you are sincere about that - and then do that. There
are English-speaking German learners here on HTLAL who would be happy to give you
English speaking practice if you could help them with your German. You have only to
ask for a language exchange with people who share same interests, hobbies etc. You can
contact some people through PM or even use some other threads on HTLAL or you can even
find people in your country (I assume you are currently living in Germany) or other
websites related to language community.Depending on where you live, you might find
international students willing to develop their German skills while they can help you
to reach C2 level in terms of speaking, at least.

Perhaps it might take some time to find out some serious German learners who are at
native fluency in English; however, in meanwhile, what you can do without speaking are
read, listen, watch and write. Read a lot and read extensively, instead of using your
SRS (Anki). Listen to and watch native English media. There is so much (legal and
free) English-speaking media on the web that you should have no trouble finding enough
TV series to watch in English.

TV series are better than films for learners because of repetition, IMHO. You get used
to the actors accents, speech and vocabulary. You spend more time in the same
situation/locale. After you've watched a couple of native English language television
series, along with practicing speaking, writing and reading extensively, plus some
focused grammar study (only related to those topics you need to review), you should
notice a considerable improvement after those 2/3 years you established.

Patrickwilken has suggested you to read newspapers. You surely can read lots of
articles taken from newspapers; however, the key to progress is leaving your comfort
zone by trying some novels. For instance, Harry Potter is a good start and quite
anything else will serve. Basically, quite all the htlalers have found large amounts
of input to be beneficial to their progress. Sure, there are various tastes in the
genres and in methods to use the books, movies and so on. But the one thing we usually
agree on is that "the more you read the better.". From the grammar point of view, I
don't think you need to (if you intend to) take a look at specific grammars most of
time unless you have some problems with a specific topic and its usage. I mentioned
Harry Potter, but there are many other books and genres, especially speaking of books
written in English.

Another advice might be creating a log on HTLAL. You can easily create it and you
may also join the “Advanced Team”. The more you write about (in your log) many things
such as what kind of strategies (methods and techniques) you have been using to reach
a strong C2 level, plus other things that might be related to your field (economics)
or anything you come up with, more readers you will have. The amount of people reading
your log depends mostly on the content and how it is written. If it is fun, you will
have more readers and therefore, there will be more chances that people will give you
different feedback based on their experiences.

There are many experienced language enthusiasts and polyglots here as well. You can
take a look on them (their log) once in a while and find out someone who has a similar
attitude concerning your approaches. I, for instance, get my massive input in a much
different way from many language enthusiasts here (reading their logs).

I am not sure if you have read about the Super Challenge (SC). If so, ignore what I am
going to write here.

The HTLAL Super Challenge was designed (as far as I understood) to get people to do
that in order to take their language to the next level, no matter which criteria you
use, be it CEFR or any other system. You should consider doing a Super Challenge in
English- and try not to get bogged down in the minutiae of the rules- watch a hundred
hours of a TV series in English (without German subtitles, of course, since you are
already at high level) and read a hundred books.

I learn vocabulary from exposure. You are quite likely to internalize all you need
from books, movies, TV series, speaking with native speakers etc. This is where
fiction and stories prove more valuable than documentaries and newspapers, in my
opinion.

Just an additional comment:

As I said, the description of C2 level leaves some room for different interpretations.
If you take it literally, I could argue with you that even most educated native
speakers (of any language) don't meet it. For instance, I have just googled one topic
from CEFR: "Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read".

There are a lot of difficult books out there. There are romances, poetry and regional
slang to be considered too. Most native speakers have some difficulty with at least
some of those things which is associated with sociolect. You could have a vocabulary
and reading comprehension far superior to that of a native American (British,
Australian etc) college student, and still not be at that level. Even if you lived in
the country of your target language for many years and got to the point where you
prefer to read in the language, and speak it every day without difficulties of
communication, you still wouldn't unambiguously fulfill the requirements necessarily.

In addition, if you take C2 as native-like, then the chances to acquire such speaking
skills are very low unless you spend years in the country or you use it in your
country in your daily basis for professional reasons etc. Many people will disagree
with me here saying that they have reached native fluency without having moved to
their country of their target languages. I do believe those people might have reached
C2 in certain fields of their specialization academic or professionally speaking, but
some of them would probably have some “gaps” in between the C2 level. However, the
rest of the skills are different. You can reach a very high level (C2) in listening
comprehension, reading and even writing.

Just as a matter of reference, IELTS’ band scores of 8.5 and higher are recognized as
C2 and band 8 is borderline (C1/C2), level which you were assessed according to your
post.

Anyway, instead of focusing on whether it is C2 or whatever criteria, focus on what
you can do to reach the high level you defined on your own. I don't stick to those
levels as an evaluation of my language skills.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 25 April 2015 at 12:53am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
25 April 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
If you are as advanced as you say you were, then I don't think you need to do any more formal grammar study or use flash cards to learn vocabulary. I would read a lot, and try to push yourself a bit to read somewhat more difficult books (so long as they are enjoyable - motivation is important) and watch lots of TV/movies.

I basically agree with patrickwilken: above a certain level you don't need to do formal grammar or vocabulary training. But you still need once in a while to take time off from reading or listening for content and instead focus on pronunciation, formulations and words. As I once have said: you can skip a word thirty times and still not learn it. But focus on it five times and ask yourself what it means and why it is used, and then you have a new trophy item under your belt.
3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4468 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 8
25 April 2015 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
If you are as advanced as you say you were, then I don't think you need to do any more formal grammar study or use flash cards to learn vocabulary. I would read a lot, and try to push yourself a bit to read somewhat more difficult books (so long as they are enjoyable - motivation is important) and watch lots of TV/movies.

I basically agree with patrickwilken: above a certain level you don't need to do formal grammar or vocabulary training. But you still need once in a while to take time off from reading or listening for content and instead focus on pronunciation, formulations and words. As I once have said: you can skip a word thirty times and still not learn it. But focus on it five times and ask yourself what it means and why it is used, and then you have a new trophy item under your belt.

What I didn't say was that at some point writing with corrections would be very helpful. I guess you can do this for a language tutor, but I think it would be more useful for your to focus on writing essays at university and getting formal feedback. University essays are better because you are really trying to communicate an argument, and you need to get your grammar/vocabuary right to make the best argument possible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 8
25 April 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
If you have a tutor that can correct university-level essays, like I did for French, then
it's worth it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 8
25 April 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Maapsold wrote:
Of course, exact comprehension is very important - guessing the meaning of single unknown words from the context is negligent most of the time -
and so I am constantly forced looking up words in a dictionary. Also, I would love to travel more and maybe even live abroad! Shouldn’t be lost time improving my english :-)

Your style is quite formal. You definitely need some colloquial input as well.
Context is a pretty safe tool, as long as you don't feel the need to narrow down the meaning. Are you okay with having only a vague idea in your mind that develops a clear shape as you see the word more times?

Quote:
Grammar

About 30 minutes on two of three days.

Seems like overkill to me. Even at a linguistic lyceum and university, I had separate grammar classes only once a week. (Also separate phonetics and literature classes once a week, and later stylistics etc)

Quote:
Pronunciation

About an hour a week. I will learn the International Phonetic Alphabet with the help of a private teacher for some lessons.

You don't need to learn the whole IPA, just maybe the sounds English has, if even that. Consider recording yourself and either posting that here on HTLAL or sharing with a native speaker you trust.

Quote:
Vocabulary

About 30 minutes a day.
I would like to create two different decks in Anki for learning vocabulary.

The first deck will be as following:

Front: term
Back (basically content of the Cambridge dictionary):     phonetic transcription
                                                                   &nbs p;definition   1, example sentences
                                                                  (definition 2, example sentences) etc.

Any terms which I read/hear and which I am not able to conclude by context will be added.
I know that most people are very skeptic of learning definitions of terms, and even more skeptic of
learning terms with more than one meaning. I sure would appreciate to get some feedback on this.

The second deck will be a common native language to target language deck. Any vocabulary that I
need to look up while writing a text will be added.

Have you tried SRS before? In my experience, these kinds of cards can get boring easily. Consider using cloze deletion. Add only the words that are relevant to you. Don't study too many cards from the beginning, as they accumulate quickly.

In general I would recommend a combination of input and something like the 20 hour technique.

Edited by Serpent on 25 April 2015 at 1:54pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version