Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 1 of 3
25 April 2015 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

Recently I've been reading about Bulgarian and getting interested in doing a little
personal experiment to learn some Bulgarian perhaps. The thing is that I don't feel
like spending €70 on an Assimil course that will hold my hand when I can probably do
it way faster than that. I can probably use FSI as my basic material (I don't know how
outdated the FSI is for this language).

Keep in mind I speak fairly good Russian and have experience with Slavic languages, so
I would like resources that are intended for speakers of Slavic languages (in
particular Russian) or other Balkan languages (Romanian/Greek).

Does anyone have some good tips moving forward? I know the basic outline of the
grammatical differences, but anything I should be alert to or on the lookout for?
1 person has voted this message useful

katarinaantalya
Diglot
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

7 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Bulgarian, Estonian

Message 2 of 3
25 April 2015 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
As to things to note when comparing Bulgarian and Russian, mostly watch out for the
verb moods. Bulgarian grammar (I've always found) is a lot simpler than Russian, except
when it comes to the verbs. There's a lot more things you wouldn't have to worry about
in Bulgarian, like the case endings.

For FSI, it is definitely a little outdated, but depending on who you'd be interacting
with, it's probably not a huge deal. Bulgarian has adopted English/Russian/Turkish
words for a lot of Bulgarian words, so that changed the lexicon a little bit. If you
need slang, just use anything British or American, they understand all of it.

I can't really reccommend any other learning programs designed for speakers of Slavic
languages, as I'm not one, but I did enjoy the Teach Yourself Bulgarian, for English
speakers, and Langenschneidt's Bulgarian course was good, if you know German.

Good luck!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
26 April 2015 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
I know German, so using Langenscheidt is okay; it's just impossible to get here in China.
I can't really buy many courses here; I would have to go back to Beijing.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version