9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3848 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 1 of 9
25 April 2015 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I've been reading on here, and one thing I've found once in awhile, is that people who speak more than one language fluently sometimes have difficulty telling the languages they know apart, I've never had that difficulty, I've always known which language I was listening to, even during the moment I described on an earlier post, which has started becoming a bit more frequent to me. Even when I randomly encounter a French speaking character in a book I am reading, I still know I am looking at French, even though I happened on it by chance. I do not plan on 100 percent fluency, just enough to be able to enjoy talking to people, and enjoying the various entertainment I've found I like. That being said, I do not speak more than one language besides English fluently, though I am at an intermediate stage in a couple. Most of the languages I am interested in have a different alphabet entirely from English. I'm new to the whole language learning thing, and have a billion questions, and try my best not to overload you all with them.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4994 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 9
25 April 2015 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
It's probably not exactly difficulty telling them apart, but more like sometimes you don't notice if you're focusing on
the content.

The prerequisite for this is you need to be able to understand both languages well, otherwise (a) it would be hard to
focus exclusively on content, and (b) you would notice that you suddenly stopped or started understanding.

There's lots of cool research about the surprising amount of stuff you can fail to notice when you're paying attention
to something else. For example, when watching a video of a person performing a magic trick, the entire décor of the
room can change, but most people won't notice. When you are talking to a stranger, the person can be switched for
another stranger of the same race and gender, and many people will not notice if the new stranger continues to act
in a way consistent with the content of the exchange.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3848 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 3 of 9
25 April 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Interesting! I remember a Conan Doyle quote having something to do with seeing but not observing,is that what you are driving at?

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4994 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 9
25 April 2015 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like a literary mention of a similar idea. Though, could he have been referring to some people lacking
the necessary expertise to observe something?

I come from a scientific perspective, where we talk about the phenomena of "change blindness" and "inattentional
blindness," and the most famous of many researchers who study the topic is Dan Simons.

Edited by robarb on 25 April 2015 at 10:58pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6844 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
26 April 2015 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I came to think of the fairly recent thread, Not know what language you're hearing.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
26 April 2015 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion language interference occurs when you have holes in a target language and try to fill out those holes with whatever occurs in your mind. The result is confusion, but when it happen to me it doesn't feel anything like confusion, only as a shimmer of the prerunner of panick. I know which language I'm supposed to use, and I mostly also know which languages the intrusions come from. And if I don't notice the intrusions I can be confused by them.

Add to that the more or less deliberate guesses, which also may be confusing to others when they are wrong - but again: not to myself. Actually I can be speaking total nonsense, but because my guesses make sense to myself I am personally not confused at all.

The other way round there may be lack of comprehension, but again confusion isn't the adequate word for it. For instance I still can't hear any consistent difference between Serbian and Croatian from a phonological point of view. But then I just try to understand what I hear without bothering to identify the language or dialect.

I would speak about confusion (in the passive sense) if I thought I heard one language and suddenly realized it had been another. I can imagine situations where I was very sleepy and things like that might happen, but mostly I would know when I couldn't identify a language or dialect because of my own lack of knowledge. And then I'm not confused, but just baffled.

Edited by Iversen on 26 April 2015 at 11:30pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4600 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 9
27 April 2015 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
It's probably not exactly difficulty telling them apart, but more like
sometimes you don't notice if you're focusing on
the content.

I'd agree with this. If I'm watching a programme for its information content, then the
language (assuming it's English or Italian) isn't important and doesn't always register.

I don't think I've ever had the experience of watching something and then (as I'm watching)
not being able to identify the language. I've certainly had the experience of discussing
something I'd seen the previous day but not necessarily remembering the which language was
spoken. That would be much like not being able to remember the channel on which a programme
happened to be broadcast.

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4468 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 8 of 9
27 April 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Another really cool but rare phenomenon is achromatopsia, which occurs after injury to (one side of) the brain that handles colour. In it people literally "see" black-and-white in one half of their visual field and normal color in the other half of visual space.

What is amazing is that people don't notice that their colour perception is screwed up.

While this is is pretty counterintuitive, it makes sense once you realize that perception is not like a movie screen which you watch in the back of your head. If your brain doesn't represent something you not only don't perceive it, but you won't notice you don't perceive it. People with strokes, who often lose a part of visual field (it's like having a hole in visual space) often don't report noticing the hole for similar reasons.

I also sometimes don't notice whether someone is speaking German or English for similar reasons. I am listening and understanding what people are saying. My brain isn't bothering to create a meta-representation that says what language I am listening to. I'm just listening to the meaning of what people are saying.

Edited by patrickwilken on 27 April 2015 at 4:58pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version