Triglot
United States
Joined 4406 days ago

39 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, German
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Gulf)

Message 1 of 34
18 February 2015 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
http://www.pastagate.com/pastagate-blog/france-now-demanding -that-all-future-leaders-be-fluent-in-english

"FRANCE NOW DEMANDING THAT ALL FUTURE LEADERS BE FLUENT IN English"

A recent article has caught the attention of many, France making it mandatory for their future leaders to speak English?

Mme. Natalie Loiseau head of ENA École nationale d'administration, one of France’s Grandes Écoles entrusted with the selection and initial training of senior French officials, has recently demanded that France’s future leaders be English proficient.

"The usual words such as 'sacrifice', 'vocation' and 'commitment' sound half religious, half military," said the career diplomat as she urges students to revise their vocabulary away from French words which she refers to as “stuffy and outdated”.

Between last week’s En FRANCAIS SVP malaise in Rouyn-Noranda and Philip Couillard’s heavily criticized Shakespearian address in Iceland, our own local French purists continue to claim otherwise.

Go figure or perhaps we should say, Imaginez donc!

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6407 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 34
18 February 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Alas! how the mighty have fallen.
4 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3924 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 3 of 34
18 February 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Wow! Could that article get more sensationalist?

"France making it mandatory for their future leaders to speak English?" we ask (although I'm not quite sure what that question means as it appears to have at least one word missing), after just linking an article explaining that a single graduate school is changing its entry requirements.

Is it an important school? Yes. Is it France? Well, it's located in Strasbourg, which I suppose is in France even though the Alsatians will disagree, so I suppose that means they speak for the French government... or maybe not.

They educate people with ambitions, often born into a privileged elite with ambitions for them already, who may end up running businesses, may end up in politics, or may end up writing long academic works on political science.

I suppose that if Eton decided to teach all students French it'd be completely legit to say that "the UK has decided that all British leaders must speak fluent French".
7 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4464 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 34
18 February 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Actually what ENA is doing is to sacrifice the knowledge of any language other than English. Up until now, in the "concours d'entrée" at ENA, aspiring students have to pass a test in one of the following languages: English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian or Chinese (Mandarin). From 2018, the only language admitted will be English. Not a step in the right direction if you ask me.

6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4358 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 34
18 February 2015 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
The original article can be found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/1141 4245/France-demands-that-its-future-leaders-must-speak-Engli sh.html.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 34
18 February 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
It seems that English is slowly percolating through society in French-speaking countries. I think we are a long way from the average blue-collar guy in a small French town being able to hold a fluent conversation in English. That probably isn't even the case in Quebec, a French outpost surrounded by a sea of English-speaking territory. But we are definitely moving towards this situation.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5061 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 34
18 February 2015 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3907 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 8 of 34
18 February 2015 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

:)

This drone adds:
Your linguistic and cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own.

Edited by Gemuse on 18 February 2015 at 7:59pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version