United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 1 of 101
22 March 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I am currently learning the French language. I find it to be very elegant and that it flows well. Of course, I'm also interested in visiting Quebec, France, Switzerland, Belgium, etc. so that adds to the appeal. Not to mention the abundance of literature and history.

Well, I started learning a few months ago at university. It wasn't until two weeks ago that I decided university was moving too slow and I really wanted to learn more.

Anyway, I have been studying for at least 45-60 minutes everyday with just Assimil, Ultimate French, and University. I recently acquired Linguaphone so that will most likely add an extra 15 minutes at least.

What I will be using:

University Classes
Assimil New French/Using French
Ultimate French Beginner-Intermediate (no audio)
Linguaphone French (1971, with audio)
Easy French Reader (when I want to take a break from actual studying or if I have free time)

and when I get to the Intermediate class at university, I'll start Colloquial French 2.

My plan is to just study and get through these books. I'd like to be finished all of these books by Fall/Spring 2013. That is when I will start going into native material and apply what I learned.

I'm going to be studying for at least an hour everyday using all of these resources and hope to reach around a solid B2 level. (Is that realistic?)

As of now, I will be starting Lesson 9 of Ultimate French tomorrow, Lesson 18 in Assimil, and continuing Lesson 1 in Linguaphone.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 19 October 2012 at 5:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5475 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 101
22 March 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a great project!

Here are some estimates for the time required to reach the various levels, taken from
here:

DELF A1 : 60 hours from Beginner level
DELF A2 : 160 hours from Beginner level
DELF B1 : 310 hours from Beginner level
DELF B2 : 490 hours from Beginner level
DALF C1 : 690 hours from Beginner level
DALF C2 : 890 hours from Beginner level

These are pretty typical numbers, I think, though they might not include homework
outside of class. On the other hand, you might be able to study more efficiently.
Still, they're in the ballpark.

So if you study for an hour a day for a year, it's entirely possible to reach at least
B1. And that's not a bad level for travel: you should be able to "deal with most
situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken,"
according to CEFRL, and you should definitely be able to learn from native materials.

I can't say much about B2 because I'm not there yet. :-) Good luck with your studies!
4 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 3 of 101
22 March 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Awesome, thanks so much!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 4 of 101
22 March 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
As I was doing Linguaphone today, some of the lessons I could already understand after my first listen, and therefore didn't have to work on.

Also, I downloaded an Easy French Poetry podcast and I could understand a good majority of what they were talking about that didn't have to do with the transcripted poetry.

Definitely a good motivation boost. I feel as though my listening skills are getting toned more and more.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 22 March 2012 at 10:48pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 5 of 101
24 March 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Little a day is such good advice. I've been doing some Linguaphone and Assimil everyday for maybe 30-45 minutes total. I don't feel burned out and I look forward to doing each lesson. I'm amazed at the things I can read now. It's not much, but just little paragraphs that a few weeks ago I could not understand I can read. I'm very happy I followed ProfArguelles advice about the Linguaphone/Assimil combination because for me, these are the best methods.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 6 of 101
27 March 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
I find myself studying Assimil anywhere between 15-45 minutes depending on the lesson. I'm not sure if this is good or what, but the vocab is sticking.

The Linguaphone course is fantastic. I'm convinced Linguaphone/Assimil is the way to go, then a grammar book. Although, Linguaphone study time is way less than Assimil. 5-10 minutes per part. I recommend anyone who likes Assimil, whether it be without toil or with ease, try to some how obtain an old Linguaphone course. They work pretty much the same way and it sticks just as well.

My Ultimate French book is getting kind of boring right now. I don't know if it's because I hate grammar or because I do not have the CD's for it, but no matter the case, it's dry right now. Due to this, I have obtained a Hugo in 3 months/Advanced Hugo, both with CD's that I will use instead AFTER I finish Linguaphone/Assimil. Most likely in a combo with Using French. I'm getting ahead of myself now...

Oh and one more thing, I managed to come across some old Assimil without toil courses. French, German, Russian, and Spanish. I think I'm only going to use the French one seriously after I finish With Ease/Linguaphone or something, then dabble in German. I don't have much interest in German right now and no interest in Russian right now. I'd like to use the Spanish one but there's no audio. I know I made a thread saying I wouldn't use without toil, but I feel as if I should. I love Assimil and I have nothing to lose. Also, the French is the 1940 version and the German is 1965 I believe.

Anyway, this is my French journey and not my course acquisitions journey, so that's that.

About 25-26 lessons until I start the active wave. Every Assimil review day is when I tend to review all previous lessons. I hope I'll be able to translate easily when I get there!

Edited by sillygoose1 on 27 March 2012 at 9:25pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 7 of 101
30 March 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I've come to realize that I really like studying. I enjoy keeping myself busy with studying because I enjoy it, and this is one of the only times I've ever enjoyed studying anything! I have so many books that I'm getting through and I think I've been putting in 1.5 - 2 hours of study a day lately. New French, Without Toil, Hugo, Teach Yourself, and Linguaphone. More and more everyday, I'm learning a little more, being able to read a little more, and understand a little more, and that is great motivation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 8 of 101
09 April 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
It's been awhile since I last posted.

I did Assimil today. Lesson 38 in New French With Ease and this lesson took a long time for me to internalize or at least understand 95% of the lesson without looking at the text. This lesson took me an hour today which is the longest it's ever taken so far. Sometimes I tend to get frustrated when I can't understand the text without reading along with the audio, but it still feels like some what of an accomplishment trucking through it.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version