Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 17 of 72
14 November 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
In European Portuguese it's ''cheguei a casa''.
The only variant of Spanish which uses EN with verbs of movement (like IR, SALIR, LLEGAR etc)
is popular Paraguayan Spanish: http://cvc.cervantes.es/lengua/voces_hispanicas/paraguay/asu ncion.htm

You could argue ENTER is a verb of movement.
In this case in Portuguese it's ENTRAR EM,
in Latin American Spanish it's ENTRAR A
while European Spanish prefers ENTRAR EN.

It's not that CHEGAR A is not used in colloquial Brazilian Portuguese, CHEGAR A and CHEGAR EM have different meanings:

chegar a: a meaning of coming/arriving and reaching/going to:
''Ainda não cheguei ao fim do livro'' stress on the act of movement, not on the destination/aim

chegar em: a meaning of coming/arriving and entering/going into:
'' A gente chegou no Louvre procurando a "Mille e Tre" '' stress on the destination reached (often with the meaning of going into, entering)

Edited by Medulin on 14 November 2013 at 2:25am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4461 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 18 of 72
14 November 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
So chegar a is like Spanish ir and chegar em is like Spanish llegar?

On topic: In Poland there is quite some discussion about declining loanwords and about włączać vs włanczać. Currently, the correct form is the former, but more and more people are using the latter. At least no one is telling us "poszłem" is correct yet!

Edited by Zireael on 14 November 2013 at 11:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4278 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 19 of 72
14 November 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
also
"arrivai in casa" or "sono arrivato in casa" in Italian sounds
fine too though--or is this a regional
difference?

It's a casa.

They're both fine in this setting, as you can't really tell if the event is near or far in time.

However, if you said:
"arrivai a casa poco fa"
"sono arrivato a casa poco fa"
the first sentence is wrong. This misuse of the passato remoto is typical of southern Italians. Generally you can use passato prossimo instead of passato remoto without making a mistake, but that doesn't work the other way around.

Edited by drygramul on 14 November 2013 at 12:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5352 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 72
15 November 2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Common errors leading to accepted form: One thing I noticed is that if the language community is fairly isolated, evolution is slow, i.e. errors stay as errors. With more inter-linguistic and inter-cultural exchange, evolution happens, including the transition of common errors to an accepted form. If the population densities of two groups speaking two different languages (neither group significantly dominates politically) live in the same area are about equal, simplification of each other's language occurs. If they have drastically different inflections, e.g., children of the next generation may opt for a language with minimal inflection or substituting a different simpler mechanism for inflection.

Edited by yong321 on 15 November 2013 at 7:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5038 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 21 of 72
15 November 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
drygramul wrote:

To reply to the thread's theme I think the term impoverishment here applies, and there are several reasons for that.
1 - as I pointed out in the other thread, is the corruption introduced by foreign common saying. For the example I provided, follow the other link. I am sure I make the same mistakes when I try to convey some expressions or sentences in another language, but there's a huge difference when a native speaker does that.
2 - the Italian education system (both in the public and private funded schools):
- different standards of education between different schools
- almost universal passing tho higher education during the compulsory phase
3 - Marketing and consumerism. We are accustomed to consume everything, from food to music, movies and anything without any filter. The dumbing down process is a marketing strategy that provides the means to reach every people, and obviously the least common denominator is the ignorant. And language reflects what's happening in any other aspect of our life. We need immediate fulfillment, there's no sophistication in what we hear, eat, or watch, and the same goes for language. Why should we try harder?

This is nonsense.

1. The fact that a linguistic change has been introduced from a foreign language has nothing to do with whether or not it's an "impoverishment," whatever that loaded term means.

2. More educated people may speak differently than the uneducated, but that in no way means the educated dialect is the more correct, less "dumb-downed" one. Utterly uneducated folk speak with the same linguistic complexity as Nobel Prize winners.

3. That a change is introduced via mass media also has no bearing on whether or not that change is a detriment to the language.

Simply put, all human languages (and all dialects, but not pidgins) are of equal communicative power. Notions that a certain class of language are more dumb-downed than others is not one the linguistic community takes seriously and makes about as much sense as my claiming that Italian is just a dumb-downed form of Latin. ("Those dreadful Gauls! Dropping case endings wherever they like! Introducing barbarities from their native tongue! It's a result of the Vulgate, you know, Jerome trying to reach the common man, who of course is an ignoramus. Poor Latin!")
5 persons have voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4278 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 22 of 72
15 November 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:

1. The fact that a linguistic change has been introduced from a foreign language has nothing to do with whether or not it's an "impoverishment," whatever that loaded term means.

I warmly invite you to read again what I am referring to, that was not even the point.

Quote:
2. More educated people may speak differently than the uneducated, but that in no way means the educated dialect is the more correct, less "dumb-downed" one. Utterly uneducated folk speak with the same linguistic complexity as Nobel Prize winners.

How's that a sequitur? Who talked about an educate dialect? The Italian language follows precise rules that are the same in the whole country, not unlike maths.

Quote:
3. That a change is introduced via mass media also has no bearing on whether or not that change is a detriment to the language.

Again, that was not even the point. The culprit of my argument was not the mass media.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5038 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 23 of 72
15 November 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
drygramul wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:

I warmly invite you to read again what I am referring to, that was not even the point.

Then I have no idea what you're saying. You were the first in the thread to introduce the term "impoverishment," and then to support the claim of impoverishment you said:

drygramul wrote:
To reply to the thread's theme I think the term impoverishment here applies, and there are several reasons for that.
1 - as I pointed out in the other thread, is the corruption introduced by foreign common saying. For the example I provided, follow the other link. I am sure I make the same mistakes when I try to convey some expressions or sentences in another language, but there's a huge difference when a native speaker does that.

The only reasonable reading of what you said I can devise is: "The term impoverishment applies because the change is introduced by "foreign common saying.""

Your only response is that I misunderstood you. Fine. It would be much easier if you elaborated what you meant rather than just claiming I missed the point.

drygramul wrote:
Who talked about an educate dialect? The Italian language follows precise rules that are the same in the whole country, not unlike maths.

You did. You blamed the Italian education system and its differing standards for "impoverishing" the language. If that's not equivalent to the claim that the less educated speak worse, then I don't know how else to construe it.

Incidentally, grammar is not the same thing as math. The truths of math extend beyond the social realm, whereas whether or not you can split an infinitive gramatically is merely a social construct.

drygramul wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:

Again, that was not even the point. The culprit of my argument was not the mass media.

Then tell me the point. Because when you blame an impoverishment on the "dumbing down process [that] is a marketing strategy that provides the means to reach every people, and obviously the least common denominator is the ignorant," I'm not sure what else you could be referring to.

Regardless, whatever the answer to all these niceties, the objectionable part of your post was the idea that language is impoverished or dumb-downed by a change. Is that what you're saying? Because that is, to repeat, nonsense. And if that's not what you're saying, then what do you mean by impoverishment?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5871 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 24 of 72
16 November 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
So chegar a is like Spanish ir and chegar em is like Spanish llegar?

No. You're mixing two things here:

First: the verb
To go = ir (PT/ES)
To arrive = chegar (PT) = llegar (ES)

Second: the preposition
See Medulin's explanation above. I think it's rather complete.

I can elaborate on the preposition's side, if you wish. As it is a bit of a nightmare (preposition use varies wildly from language to language and sometimes within the same language) I'll just leave it at that, for now.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version