Afghanistan
Joined 3762 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 18
12 February 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Welcome all to my language log.

I started Mandarin back in Sept and haven't really got especially far but have recently
felt inspired to continue again with renewed vigour.

My basic method is inspired by what I have learnt lurking about on these forums here
and over at chinese-forums.com (mandarin-specific).

AIM: I aim to get a minimum of 1 hour of study in everyday and to hopefully improve
that baseline with time.

CURRENT METHOD:

pimsleur

anki revision

FSI material

Presently I do a Pimsleur lesson everyday whilst on the subway and I usually spend an
hour doing it: 30m for the previous days lesson and 30m for the new lesson. I only just
started FSI two days ago and am figuring out how best to incorporate it into a study
plan. As for Anki I am in the process of switching over to the 10,000 AJATT method and
am sourcing material from both pimsleur and FSI to achieve that.

CURRENT GOAL: Given my minimum expectations of myself are 1hour a day, I will be happy
to continue Pimsleur at the current pace and hope to have it finished in two months.

Brief bio: I am starting from scratch, I currently live in China (and will likely
continue to be here for some time) and I work fulltime.

Wish me luck!

1 person has voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 2 of 18
12 February 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'm not learning it Chinese myself but I do like to wander around YouTube
channels looking for different language learning channels (it's weird, I know). One good
Chinese channel is Yangyang Cheng
her videos are pretty fun to watch and I found myself trying to learn along with her.

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3762 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 3 of 18
18 February 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig> cheers mate!

Back again for an update:

So far I'm proud to say I have stuck to my goal of a minimum of 1 hour of study every
day. In fact, I surpass that most days.

As for the details:

I have finished Pimsleur 1 (picking up from where I left off) and I am now at Pimsleur
2 lesson 4.

I have still to organise all my anki cards but i have thus far inputted all of pimsleur
I in sentence form.

I haven't yet figured out how I will manage to cover pimsleur/anki and FSI in my
limited study time but I am working on figuring out a study plan to do all of
pimsleur/fsi and anki concurrently.

Goal towards the end of this week:

have anki up to date and be regularly practicing anki everyday. try to make sure a
reasonable number of characters are being learned every week.

figure out a study plan for tackling fsi/anki/pimsleur

Year long goal:

learn 1000 characters

be able to pass the hsk 4 exam

be conversational in mandarin (be able to survive in the language without having to
resort to English to ask: "what does that mean",; "can you explain this?" ; "how do you
say this, etc,..."

POST: I intend to update this only once a week due to time constraints and my trying to
write/research less and practice more! This is turning into more than just something I
have to do! It's becoming a passion/obsession!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 4 of 18
18 February 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
I think you'll need more than 1000 characters to pass the HSK4. I studied pretty intensively my first year (3-4 hours a day, plus movies, anki, etc. in addition to living in China) and don't think i could've passed the HSK4. The HSK3, definitely. Anyway, i hope you make all the progress you're looking to make and more.

The FSI course tapes are each about 30 minutes, you could spend a couple days with a tape and move on to the next when you feel comfortable. But if you're only doing an hour a day and splitting that between Pimsleur and Anki, i don't think you'll be able to finish it before the years over. I think it took me about 10-11 months doing 2-3 hours of FSI a day. At the very least, i do recommend doing the pronunciation module.

Good luck! I'll be following along chiming in where i can :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 18
19 February 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
dhaubles wrote:

Year long goal:

learn 1000 characters

That's my goal for this year as well! I don't know if I'll make it, but it will be fun to try. Good luck with Pimsleur and FSI!

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3762 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 6 of 18
20 February 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Crush> cheers for the heads up. I am looking at ways to squeeze in a couple more hours so
that I will able to accomodate the work schedule required to complete FSI. Pleased to
hear you have attempted something similar!

Sunja> awesome! It's good to know there's at least one other who is starting from
scratch. On that subject: are you intent on writing and reading or just reading? For me
its definitely reading first writing much later, in fact I currently make no time for
writing whatsoever.

I'm wondering if this is truly possible: to be able to read a large amount of characters
without ever picking up a pen :s. Well we'll see, so far so good!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 18
20 February 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
dhaubles wrote:
Sunja> awesome! It's good to know there's at least one other who is starting from scratch. On that subject: are you intent on writing and reading or just reading? For me its definitely reading first writing much later, in fact I currently make no time for writing whatsoever.

I'm wondering if this is truly possible: to be able to read a large amount of characters
without ever picking up a pen :s. Well we'll see, so far so good!

I'm doing everything :) Some people can learn just fine without writing, but I find I can memorize things easier if I see it on paper.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 8 of 18
21 February 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
The one thing that helps about writing is that it forces you to pay attention to the radicals. However, i honestly think it's soooo much easier to learn how to write a character AFTER you're really familiar with it. I started off reading and writing characters, i think my time would've been much better spent focusing strictly on recognition as that's much easier. And when you're already familiar with it, you've got a general idea of it's shape, radicals, etc. and writing it is much easier. You'll also almost never have to actually write in Chinese, everything is typing these days. A lot of Chinese people have trouble remembering characters once they're out of school, too. There were a couple times where a Chinese person would ask whether a certain character was written this way or that way to another Chinese person, and i interrupted to answer. Maybe not very "谦虚", but it was nice to know that i really had learned something :P

Now i try to maintain the characters i've learned how to write, but spend most of my effort on recognition.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version