1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 34 of 46
23 May 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I have now completed the first five lessons of Greaca fără Profesor. And that is good
because I now have some basic phrases at my disposal. Time for more grammar!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 46
26 May 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
6 Easy Greek Words to Learn

In this entry, I will talk about six easy Greek words to learn using mnemonics. Maybe
some of you will be inspired by some of the stuff I come up with in order to remember
words! :)

1. Εγώ

Εγώ means "I" in Greek. An easy way to remember this word is to think of the
pronunciation, which is "eghó". This sounds like I would need a very big EGO to
pronounce it, which is a way to remember that this word means "I".

2. η ομιλία

This word means a "lecture" at a university or a conference (I used it to explain to my
teacher that I was going to the polyglot gathering). This word sounds like "umilia" or
"humble" to me, and to go to lectures and try to understand them, you have to be very
"humble" and open your mind! Thus ομιλία means humble!

3. η θάλασσα

This word means sea. Now the way I remember this is that the word is sometimes used in
paleontology as another word for a certain ancient sea (can't remember the name). But
however, this word means dinosaurs dying in the sea in a big flood. So θάλασσα = sea.

4. βλέπω

This word means to "see" something. However to me it somehow looks like a butterfly
(which has the Latin/Greek name Lepidoptera". So when I want to remember this word, I
have to see butterflies in my mind. And then I will know that it-s a B(utterfly) that I
am "seeing", thus βλέπω.

5. το ταχυδρομείο

This is a word that means post office. The first part sounds like there are a lot of
branches on the word with the χ (I think of Tachycardia somehow) and the last bit
sounds like "drome" which I imagine as this futuristic building where things get sorted
and machined (which happens at a post office). I am imagining that building to look
like it has a big white dome, very clean and hygienic windows, etc. It should look like
it is a perfect building from the future. From there the post branches out to other
people. Thus a branching drome is a post office! (where all the branches start).

6. κάνω

This word means to do. However, it sounds like "kano" which is the Dutch word for a
canoe. So I developed this habit of saying ti kano kano over and over again (as if I
was trying to say what am I doing in a canoe over and over again). Kano kano kano kano
kano....

Any other ridiculous mnemonics for your Greek words? Share them here!

Edited by tarvos on 26 May 2014 at 2:59pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4044 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 36 of 46
26 May 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
If I were using mnemonics I'd remember βλέπω through the Russian пялиться, which is a slang word for staring at something :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 37 of 46
29 May 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I've been continuing with Greek over the past week, mostly improving vocabulary. What I
have noticed is that I definitely need more spoken sessions a week to improve (and less
grammar), so that will be my focus for next week. The Italki Language Challenge starts
next week and I signed up, so I will focus on trying to practice Greek three hours a
week.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3679 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 38 of 46
30 May 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
6 Easy Greek Words to Learn

5. το ταχυδρομείο

This is a word that means post office. The first part sounds like there are a lot of
branches on the word with the χ (I think of Tachycardia somehow)

Well, ταχύς actualy means fast as you may know, so any word ταχυ+something means something goes fast or faster. Like the letters, or indeed your heart. So you made a good connection with tachycardia.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4044 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 39 of 46
01 June 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
My Greek is currently paused due to upcoming exams, but I today I've downloaded several Greek albums. That's the way that keeps me floating with my German, let's see if the same will work for somewhat more obscure language...

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4044 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 40 of 46
05 June 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I was bored but unable to do any serious work. Hence this... (click the pic for the bigger one)

And I'm still not sure how to read stuff. Oh, I guess I need some Michel Thomas to trigger all that. And get the alphabet done. Not sure if I want to mix it up with physical chemistry and other university things I am to deal with by the beginning of July.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version