Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3662 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 21
14 May 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Well, yesterday got a bit busy, so all I had time for in German was to listen to the
Assimil text for a few units and to listen to some Easy German at work. I made up for it
this morning by translating unit 6 into German and starting to read through unit 13. I'll
do more tonight.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3662 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 10 of 21
15 May 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Well, no more translation for me today. I forgot that every 7th unit in assimil is review:) I've worked through to
unit 14 now and am quite excited about it. I'm moving a lot faster right now than I feel like I should..mostly just
because of all those German classes in the past. I'm sure ill slow down once the material starts getting harder
but for now I can easily do multiple units per day without losing anything. Looking forward to getting into a
some declension/conjugation beyond the nominative present:)

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3662 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 11 of 21
15 May 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
For future reference, anyone have suggestions about where to find A conversation partner for German?:)

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3662 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 12 of 21
16 May 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Well, today I stuffed a bunch of new material into Anki.. for some reason I was having a really hard time
studying today. Either way, I translated unit 8 into German today and worked through units 10-15. Also
listened to about 45 minutes of Michel Thomas Advanced German :) Good night everyone.. tomorrow will
be more productive.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3892 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 21
16 May 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Once you get to Unit 21, I'd recommend you start working on Hugo German in 3 months. A
bunch of us on HTLAL are working on it, and have liked it a lot (until the later
chapters when it becomes too fast). It is also very inexpensive, dirt cheap if you get
it without the audio CD. It has a grammer intensive approach, should complement Assimil
nicely.

Edited by Gemuse on 16 May 2014 at 7:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3662 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 14 of 21
17 May 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Once you get to Unit 21, I'd recommend you start working on Hugo German in 3
months. A
bunch of us on HTLAL are working on it, and have liked it a lot (until the later
chapters when it becomes too fast). It is also very inexpensive, dirt cheap if you get
it without the audio CD. It has a grammer intensive approach, should complement Assimil
nicely.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gemuse! Is it that good? I've generally been a bit hesitant to add anything
until I'm further along with Assimil, cause I have a tendency to try to acquire too many language
resources and not stick with one long enough..

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 15 of 21
17 May 2014 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Willkommen! Es gefällt mir immer, ein neues Mitglied zu sehen, daß deutsch lernt!

I second the Hugo suggestion (Gemuse is the one that got me into it). It will give you plenty of useful vocab to work with and good grammar explanations. It does get a bit tougher maybe around the 9th or 10th chapter but it's not that bad, you just have to spend more time absorbing the information.

I would suggest setting yourself up with a vocab program (Anki, Quizlet, or good ol fashioned note cards), quickly perusing each chapter beforehand, look for all unknown vocab and put the words into the program and master them before studying the chapter. This applies to any grammar source really, not just Hugo.

You should be fine with just Hugo and Assimil. I juggle three programs and have no problem working with them on most days.

I'll keep an eye on your journal, viel Glück!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4343 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 21
17 May 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

I would suggest setting yourself up with a vocab program (Anki, Quizlet, or good ol fashioned note cards), quickly perusing each chapter beforehand, look for all unknown vocab and put the words into the program and master them before studying the chapter. This applies to any grammar source really, not just Hugo.

I would second the idea of getting a flash card program.

I found Anki extremely helpful I inputted all the sentences and word lists from my textbooks as I went along. Never forget a chapter again! It was very helpful in giving me a ground from which I could then tackle native materials.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version