United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Danish

Message 9 of 19
08 June 2014 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Watched Van Helsing in French, annoyingly the subtitles didn't match the audio. Watched "Les Triplettes de Belleville" on Netflix. That was a confusing movie.

Listened/read Lovecraft's "L'Intrus."

Giving up on the whole Skype thing at the moment, as until the roommate moves out (August) I don't really have a good place to Skype before I go to work in the morning. Also, I've been sick on and off for the past two weeks and that takes a lot of energy out of me.

Duolingo: 2203 xp
Memrise: 1617 items
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3666 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 10 of 19
08 June 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Les triplettes de Belleville is a confusing film, I agree. I first came into
contact with it (bizarrely) at the end of a maths lesson. I'm still not sure why, but I
did enjoy it despite spending the entire movie confused.

A French animation I really like is Panique au village, although it is also
slightly strange. I've only ever seen the film, although google tells me that there is
also a series, which I'll have to check out. I found it interesting, however, the
language and speed was a bit difficult for me to get to grips with when I first watched
it a year ago. Still, might be worth your watching :)

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 11 of 19
09 June 2014 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
I'll be sure to check it out, Elenia. :)

Started listening/reading to "Les Aventures de Tom Sawyer," by Mark Twain. The English version of this was one of my favorite books as a kid. Did chapters 1 - 2 today. Seems like I'm still at the point where I can have reading comprehension, or keep up with the audio, but not both.

Duolingo: 2277 xp
Memrise: 1620 items
Lingua: 222 words

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 12 of 19
11 June 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Well, Mondays aren't really good for me in terms of learning new stuff. I tend to not get home until after 11 pm.

Something I haven't mentioned (because I didn't have the link on my home computer) is that I've taken up listening to Learn French with Vincent when my office mate is out and getting some vocal practice in that way. I'm up to Unit 2, Lesson C at this point. I like it better than French in Action because I don't have to actually watch it to keep up with what is going on.

I've noticed that I'm able to recognize new words that I've learned out of the French songs that I listen to, which is sort of cool. I'm not sure how to describe how I learn, but I think "random reenforcement," like encountering words I've learned in new contexts, is really cool, and helps me remember.

I watched the Viva Mexico episode of C'est Pas Sorcier. I suspect that if I take up Spanish next, it will probably be significantly easier for my to pick up listening-wise. When I was traveling last month, I was sitting in a McDonalds next to some Hispanics, and it's way easier for me to parse the sounds in Spanish. Still not sure if I'm doing Spanish or German next.

Listened/read Chapter 3 of Les Aventures de Tom Sawyer. I'd like to do more, but I've been getting to bed dreadfully late as it is.

Duolingo: 2354 xp
Memrise: 1639 items
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4254 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 13 of 19
11 June 2014 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
I started off with some online videos: "Jason's French Fast" and moved onto "Learn French with Victor".
The first is a video with several cartoon characters. The second is a set of situational videos like at the
restaurant, at the train station, at the supermarket, etc.

Right now I'm on Yabla French. What I like about these videos is that they have caption & subtitle in
French & English. You can look up words & phrases easily and you can repeat phrases at regular or slow
speed.

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 14 of 19
19 June 2014 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Up to the "Places" module in Duolingo. I'd say it seems easier than normal if I didn't keep failing on the last question in the lesson.

I am officially 50% done with "1000 Words Introductory French." I'm trying to find a French speaker to add audio to two of the courses I made, but no bites so far. I'm willing to do English audio in exchange. Guess I'll see what happens as I only posted the request tonight.

I've started watching Les Simpsons. Now I've learned "Je suis un andouille." I suspect that may be the caliber of vocabulary I pick up from the show. It's also a nice change of pace.

Done up through Ch. 6 of Les Aventures de Tom Sawyer. Huck Finn has been introduced. He was always my favorite character. Unfortunately, I haven't found a French audio version of the sequel to Tom Sawyer. Yet. I've also watched a few episodes of C'est Pas Sorcier.

I haven't looked up "Jason's French Fast" or "Learn French with Victor" yet. I'm still listening to "Learn French with Vincent," but I've had a lot of meetings at work, so I haven't gotten far (Unit 2, Lesson N, I think).

Roommate moves out in about six weeks, so after that I'll see if I can hook up with some French speakers from Italki and do language exchange before I head into work.

Fiancé has been talking about taking German or Spanish when he starts college this fall, and I'll probably start learning whichever one he is at the same time. I'm currently hoping for Spanish, because I plan to keep up French at the same time, and Duolingo has a French - Spanish course, but not a French - German course.

I listened to some French radio today. They were talking about the World Cup. I understood a fair bit of it.

I feel progress is being made. Not rapid, but forward.

Duolingo: 2645 xp
Memrise: 1703 items

2 persons have voted this message useful

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 15 of 19
23 June 2014 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Apparently BFMTV is now region protect. Boo.

Watched "Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec" on Netflix. Very good movie, and I understood surprising amounts of the audio.

Also been watching Simpsons.

Up to chapter 8 in Les Aventures de Tom Sawyer

I've managed to get over 200 xp, mostly in new material, in Duolingo over the past couple of days. That's pretty good for me. 35 skills left on the skill tree.

Someone offered to do audio for my Memrise courses, so I'm excited about that.

Yea, not a lot of exciting stuff. Just one foot in front of the other. One word in front of the other. You get the drift.

Duolingo: 2908 xp
Memrise: 1741 items

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3663 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 16 of 19
02 July 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Found another site that streams news in French (http://www.france24.com/fr/), so I'm watching that instead of BFMTV.

About halfway through the second season of the Simpsons. I can maybe understand 25% of the words.

On days when I have time, I try to get 100 points on Duolingo. Mostly the weekend.

Done up through chapter 12 in Tom Sawyer. It's been slow going, as I keep watching Simpsons instead.

After the roommate moves out at the end of this month, I'm going to try italki again and see if I can get some language partners that I talk to before going to work in the morning. I should probably also go back to writing practice...so many things I should do.

J'ai besoin de plus de cafe. :)

Duolingo: 3535 xp
Memrise: 1865 items

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version