Joined 5871 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 9
09 June 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
pengin wrote:
Zireael wrote:

EDIT: You could also head over to Team Rare's team thread or try to find Luso's log. He's much further along than either of us.

thank you zirael for your advice especially the new resources; i will try to find luso's log right now!

(...)

Hopefully Lusos log will give me some ideas

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't know whether my log will be all that helpful.

I'll try to help, anyhow.

Pengin, you began by saying that you are new to the forum. You have already noticed that there's a lot of people here. A lot of methods, too.

As with anything else, it's important to know where each one stands. This is especially important with Arabic. My approach is neither better nor worse than anyone else's, but I believe it to be the best for someone that's coming in for the long haul with no special agenda (cousins from Lebanon, a Moroccan girlfriend, whatever).

Just to be clear:
- I learned MSA in class with an Arabic-speaking teacher
- The materials were provided piecemeal by this teacher
- There was a focus on correctness, rather than getting by at all cost
- The rhythm was light, but it lasted for 5 years (in my case)
- I stopped about 1 or 2 years ago
- I forgot a lot (really - a lot)
- Until the end, we used diacritics to a great extent
- The teacher is a personal friend, but I try not to impose on him
- I have enough materials to do comprehensive reviews, if and when I want
- We had a few sessions about dialects, but nothing much

The above was important so that you know where I stand. I know little or nothing about software A, B or C. I know something about demographics, namely which dialects are closer to each other and why.

I know a bit about cases and declinations. I believe it's important. I never could understand those programs where they abandon diacritics after one or two months. Or six, it doesn't really matter. It's too soon.

Translating with Google is getting better, but they are still guessing (no diacritics, see?).

I use this keyboard. I find it complete.

For a while, Google Labs had a very decent "tashkeel" site (for diacritization), but they ended it. Nowadays, there's a few excellent ones, like this site.

I also like this dictionary, among others.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version