Finland
Joined 3676 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Swedish, German
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 2
15 June 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I studied German in school for two years and after that I didn't study it at all for a year. Now I'm picking it up again and refreshing my skills during my summer vacation for my lessons that will start again in August. I've always been interested in languages and when I faced the opportunity to pick one (from French and German) I picked German (for various reasons). I took a pause because I didn't have any time for any language studies beside the mandatory English and Swedish we have here in Finland. I have studied English for 8 and Swedish for 4 years. I'd estimate that I am a B2-C1 in English and an A2 (or low B1) in Swedish. My level in German is probably A1 or A2 but I have lost a lot of vocabulary since I had my pause.

With German I am doing well when it comes to grammar but gaining vocabulary is the though part. I gained a lot of my English vocabulary from school I do not know how I should start growing my vocabulary in German (and Swedish also, but that's not my priority). I have tried reading but that becomes very frustrating after a few paragraphs when you realize that you had to check 50-80% of the words in there. I don't know if I'm just impatient or what but I will need to find a way to grow my vocabulary.I should probably start looking for some children's books or start reading short news in German.

Plans

English

I have The Lord of The Rings books and a few others waiting for me on my shelf so I am planning to read them and then continue with the books from the library. I will have lots to read from since I'm browsing the internet a lot and almost every time I visit the book store I leave with a few English books. I should start speaking a little more because I'm not the best in it but I do not know if I'll get to doing that any time soon.

Swedish

I should really be studying Swedish a lot more because I want to get myself into a decent level at this language but I really don't know what I should do and whenever I start doing something it doesn't last for a long time. I will search for a good news site and maybe I should check the TV if there's anything interesting going on there so I could get used to the sound of the language. I've seen "Solsidan" a few times and it seemed like a funny series. Maybe I should start watching it.

German

German will be my priority language. I have a few websites that I use to learn German but that's not enough. I could go to the book store and look for a book series intended for upper secondary school students, maybe I'll by the books we'll be using on our school courses. I know there are a few German shows in the Finnish TV. I should watch a few episodes of them and get some listening comprehension. I also have a few podcasts I have been meaning to listen to. I should get around to doing that.

My largest problem by far is procrastination and I'm looking for ways to fight that. A study schedule might be good. I'm hoping this log will help me at least a little bit in my fight against my lazy side who would like to scroll reddit even at this moment.

Please feel free to correct any of the languages I write in. I'm always happy to get input on my skills.

Edited by Epeli on 15 June 2014 at 10:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3673 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 2
16 June 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies :)
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version