tobefluent.com
Joined 3962 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 22
20 June 2014 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

I have to say, I disagree somewhat with this. Benny's "Fluent in 3 Months" challenges have been all-day,
immersive experiences. I don't know of anyone else who has claimed to have gained either B1 or fluency in 3
months, but it would certainly take more than 2 hours a day.

I suppose I'm reacting because I've been at French for 3 years, usually for an hour or two a day, and I think I'm
barely scraping out of A2. I have to say that, like many of us on HTLAL, I am in introverted learner. That is, I do
more of my learning by input and only output when I'm ready. Some people would argue that it's inefficient, but I
couldn't do otherwise. Also, I think the massive input I am taking in now will put me in a much better position in
the long run.

On the other hand, the OP only has to be able to speak enough to make the people around there think he's
B1. If he's a gregarious person, good at blagging, and has tutoring as you suggest, I think it's possible, but he
will be faking B1. And then in a few months immersed, and with continued effort, he would probably attain a
legitimate B1.

Sygi, if I have any advice it would be to make it a goal to work on French for 6 hours a day (when you're not
working anyway), get people you can speak with, and practice speaking everything you learn from your
courses. You don't have to know a huge amount, but you will have to be able to use everything you know.

EDIT: I thought I'd look up how many hours are recommended for B1 by the "big providers".
Wikipedia

says that Deutsche Welle suggests 300 tuition hours for B1.1 and 400 hours for B1.2. Cambridge ESOL and
Alliance Française give similar numbers. But remember that these places would also expect a certain amount of
homework. What's my point? You need to know that you've got a huge task ahead of you, and arrange your
planning and activity around that fact.

You're absolutely right. I was much too hasty to say that B1 was possible without qualifying my statement. I
should have said that I think s/he'd be able - with lots of conversational practice beforehand - to meet the
minimum requirements for the living arrangements. Or, as you said, to "fake" a B1 in a social situation.

I teach full-time French classes, and many of my students could chat informally at a B1 level with native speakers
after a few months. Of course, that's not the same as being able to pass a full B1 test, which would be very
difficult for most of them.

Edited by Stelle on 20 June 2014 at 3:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5383 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 22
20 June 2014 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Like Jeffers, I also agree that only 2 hours per day is a pretty tall order for B1 in 3
months. 2 hours a day would be more like 3 years. In my opinion, the key, once one is
able to speak sentences, is to find a victim to speak with - regular speaking is
necessary to join up of all the parts. No amount of Pimsleur or Assimil or French in
Action will make up for that.

Another thing about French in Action, from my experience, is that to really get the
most out it, one has to do the Workbook exercises in an almost FSI like manner - i.e.
go through the observations and exercises in each lesson a good few times. FIA's
eminently comprehensible progression quickly lulls you into the belief that because one
can understand each lesson, one can use the language - but in my experience, that is
not the case. At least for me, understanding is just the necessary base for the hard
work of production.     

As to CEFR level - one can always test one self here:

http://www.bonjourdefrance.co.uk/learn-french-online/delf-pr eparation.html

Edited by Elexi on 20 June 2014 at 7:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 22
20 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick reminder: Logs are personal space for recording progress, and it's no fun to have your first post greeted with over a page of people saying, "Your plan won't work!" I had that happen to me on a French Egyptology forum, and I found it rather annoying, especially since my plan was actually working pretty well at the time. :-)

Anyway, sygi, here are some numbers from Wikipedia. I think these are pretty accurate up through about B1, but after that, I suspect these numbers assume an increasing amount of exposure "outside class."

Quote:
Deutsche Welle suggests A1 is reached with about 75 hours of German tuition, A2.1 with about 150 hours, A2.2 with about 225 hours, B1.1 with about 300 hours, and B1.2 with about 400 hours.[5]

Cambridge ESOL said that each level is reached with the following guided learning hours: A2, 180–200; B1, 350–400; B2, 500–600; C1, 700–800, and C2, 1,000–1,200.[6]

Alliance Française has stated students can expect to reach CEFR levels after the following cumulative hours of instruction: A1 60–100, A2 160–200, B1 360–400, B2 560–650, C1 810–950, C2 1060–1200.[7]

Anyway, make of it what you will, and good luck with your project!

Edited by emk on 20 June 2014 at 6:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4727 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 22
20 June 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
1. I don't think anyone said his plan won't work. Sygi himself said his ideal goal is
unrealistic. We're trying to give him realistic advice to achieve his stated needs.
2. He asked for feedback. As sygi is new, he probably didn't expect to get such an
avalanche of feedback! But sygi, you should know that the advice of most people here is
accompanied by a lot of goodwill. We want you to do well when you start your studies in
September.

I've kept this short so as to avoid continuing to derail the log. As a result it
probably comes off a bit "short", but I don't mean to be rude.

But, as Emk says, good luck! Also, work hard and have fun!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 22
20 June 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't think the plan is unreasonable at all. Assimil and FIA are certainly great sources and duolingo seems
to be working fine for some htlalers. 2 hours of studying a day should do it, if you don't count in the extra
activities, which are less intensive.

Given the fact I have some experience with French and I've seen far too many people around fail and only
some win, I'd have a few recommendations:

1. Take the time at the beginning and get the pronunciation right. Don't get overstressed about "r" and other
small details, which is what discourages many learners, but don't make basic mistakes. Focus on things that
change the meaning. Reading "u" "ou" "eu" is different. French is a beautiful language but the natives tend to
be among the most critical ones in the world.

So, listen a lot. Repeat after the Assimil. If you have a bit of time, doing the pronunciation drills from the
beginning of the FSI course might make a world of difference.

2. Listen a lot. Get extra listening practice during the day. Music is a great tool here. So are the assimil
lessons in an mp3 player

3.Should you feel the need to get further grammar explanations than the bits in your assimil lesson, go for it.
French grammar is fairly logical and many courses make it more difficult than necessary by chopping it in too
small pieces. Just an overview od how does a piece fit into the puzzle can make it easier to learn the piece.

4. You have chosen good resources, now stick with them. Get through them and don't second guess yourself.
Pimsleur is nice but not that useful for a non English native because it expects you to have their troubles. I
think Polish is an easier starting point for French than English actually, bu that is just my theory. So what I
meant: don't waste time on changing sources, you don't have that much of it. The only thing I believe you
might find useful would be a good quality grammar book with more exemples and exercises but that is not
necessary. Other than that: don't let other things tempt you to leave the path. There are millions of websites,
courses of various quality, cds, tools. You cannot use them all.

5. Have i meantioned tons of listening? I have. And i could repeat it a hundred times more and for a good
reason. Listening to your assimil lessons on the go during the day can be very helpful.

6. Anki may seem dry to you but it can significantly speed up the process of memorising the vocabulary.
There is even a ready made assimil french deck you can download without any time loss

7. For the extra time, outside your 2 intensive hours a day, there is a lot you can do for your french while
having fun. If you have an alliance francaise nearby, go to their library for graded reeaders, bds and so on.
Extra input always helps

8. Get practice, if possible. However, don't expect a flood of eager exchange partners in order to avoid
disappointment. Our English native friends talk about it as if it was the easiest thing in the world to find an
exchange partner. For them, it is. For us with less popular native languages, it is different. So, look for
someone but be prepared to persevere.

9. Not only until you find a partner, work on your speaking alone as well. Get ready for the real situation.
Repeat after audio, do your exercises out loud, speak to yourself. Thinking and whispering won't do.

I wish you good luck, lots of success and lots of fun on the path. Im looking forward to following your log
4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5383 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 14 of 22
20 June 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
If you are going to use French in Action - I really recommend downloading Quizlet and
using the vocabulary sets uploaded by a user called 'drbarb' (not me btw) - They go to
about lesson 34 and contain only the core vocabulary (about 30-45 words a lesson). I
find that Quizlet is the best app for learning vocabulary from scratch and that by going
through the FIA sets really drills the vocabulary. Quizlet's games help you review
without the tedium of SRS (which can, obviously be very useful as well).

sygi
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4964 days ago

11 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Esperanto
Studies: French

Message 15 of 22
20 June 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Salut!
Merci pour vos responses!
I didn't expect so many replies at all. They made me
even more motivated and were nice too ;) Thanks!

B1 stuff:
As Stelle said, Je ne dois achieve real B1 with all writing, reading or passing
any test. Just my place requires people have a command of French and suggest that B1
level is appropriate. (I hope they don't throw away students who can't answer simple
questions in French :P) I think it's fair (and fun) to try my best to reach that level.

Listening/plan:
I had a possibility to listen un lecon of pimsleur and didn't like it at all :(
It was too much repetitive = boring for me. Based on your answers, I also decided to
put aside Duolingo un peu, mais c'est hard, parce que, c'est très
addictive. But you are right, Assimil and FIA > Duolingo, as my biggest aim is develop
listening and speaking skills.

Time:
Je ne peux pas dire exactly how much time daily I'm going to spend, as I expect
this to vary. I know this is mauvais, but I can't help it :( But probably I will
disponse of my most waking time until July and then have about 2-3 hours in working
days and whole weekends.

Language partner:
I understand that language partner can help me a lot, but, as Cavesa said, I don't
expect it to be easy to find. I will try to find some francophone in a place where I'll
work.
Meanwhile, I asked a French-speaking friend for a conversation before I'll leave ;)

Log stuff (finally!):
I listened to 3 episodes of le journal en francais facile. Je comprends
seulement
single (simple) words of of it, but I think spending 10 minutes on it a
day won't do a harm. Alors que j'ecoute ils, je lis ils aussi.

I did two Assimil lessons. They were very slow comparing to FIA and RFI. I understood
most of it. I think I will skim through the first few easy lessons fast (listening to
them only once) to get to ~5 lesson and then listen them more times and repeat. I also
did the exercises

I listened to the first audio of FIA and then did the whole second ( deuxieme?)
lesson: I watched video, listened to audio, looking at the transcript and did the
exercises. It was une experience intensif - it took me more than hour to finish
it all. Video was nice, and, in general, I like the idea of the 'teaching story' (I saw
it once in Esperanto = Pasporto al la Tuta Mondo - it was nice ;). I guess I understood
more than was expected to and it was nice, but at the end when le profeseur
expected to repeat (or answer) I wasn't sure what he expects me to do :(
On the other hand exercises were a bit boring.

I also did a few (~5) Duolingo lessons.

Thank you again for your answers ;) Sorry for making the post so long and for writing
boring personal opinions about materials I used, but it is a language log after all :P

Edited by sygi on 20 June 2014 at 9:42pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4727 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 16 of 22
20 June 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Au contraire, we enjoy the personal details about materials people use. It's the experience of others which guides me in my choices of materials to use. As for Duolingo, if you like it then use it. I think it is quite good, and will work well in combination with your other resources.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version