Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6051 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 1 of 2
28 June 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
This log is meant to serve as the record of me entering a new era of good reading habits. It's not meant to be a
struggle or a pain or a forced duty. It's about reading and languages. After all, for anyone sharing my preferences in
life, nothing could be more fun!

Having done a bit of calculation, I decided to set my goal to fifty pages a day (on average, that is). That might sound
like a lot and it certainly would be - if I were to read only in Russian. At my current level (or rather at my level as per
last summer, which I haven't done anything whatsoever to improve or sustain since then) that would equal keeping
up a full-time job. Luckily, I'm allowed to level out my efforts in Russian by reading books (and other stuff) in
languages I'm more comfortable with, like (on a grade scale from most to least difficult) Italian, French, German and
English. Perhaps I throw in a couple of Danish and Norwegian books as well. I might even log the books I read in
Swedish. Since it's important not to neglect one's mother tongue. And who knows what other languages might crop
up in the course of this journey ...

Back to the calculation part. It goes like this: reading 100 * 50 pages (the reading part of one Super Challenge) in 5
languages amounts to a total of 25000 pages. If I am to achieve this by the end of 2015 I need to read (close to) 50
pages on an average day. Whether I will register with five languages in the SC I haven't yet decided. So far I'm only
participating with French, as this will be my focus in July. Neither do I know what to do with the watching/listening
part, but I will record any films and audiobooks I finish in this log as well.

It was something like this I had in mind for last year's TAC. It didn't work out then, though it didn't fail as massively
as my absence in that log suggests. I remember having a good week last summer when experimenting with reading
Ilya Frank's (franklang.ru) material prepared for Russian learners of foreign languages, but instead using it for
speeding up my painfully slow reading in Russian. Just like I found out early on that the inverted, or reversed, LR
(reading in L2, listening to L1) works pretty well, in fact better than standard LR - provided you're aiming at reading
and not listening. I also remember reaching a milestone last spring when I finished my first previously unread novel
in French without using a parallel text (or even a dictionary). It was a crime novel by Maigret and I plan to read a few
more of those. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I was really happy about what I was planning to do last year, I'm
only sad that I didn't carry it through. So this is a fresh start, sort of rehashing the same idea.

Enough said for now. I'll be back soon.

//aloysius
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 2 of 2
30 June 2014 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Looks like an excellent plan to me! Do you already have a colourful line-up of interesting novels planned? And if so, how did you decide on which ones to start reading first? I'm looking forward to following your progress on this project; it sounds like you've got lots of energy and are raring to go. Good luck! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version