PianoFish
United Kingdom
Joined 3619 days ago

11 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 2
07 July 2014 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
I've been keeping a daily diary of everything I've been doing in Italian and thought I'd post a summary here about once a week, so I don't get distracted by updating my journal instead of working on Italian.

*29th June 2am - 7th June 2am*

Pimsleur: Units 4-10
Duolingo: Occupations, Adjectives, Present tense verbs 2, Adverbs (1-3) - total 338 XP
Lang-8: 1 entry, a simplified summary of an Eddie Izzard joke (because I don't yet know the Italian for "two weasels nailed to the back of a tractor).

I've also done half of Chapter 6 of Italian Demystified (present tense -are verbs) and listened to a few tracks of Michel Thomas and Paul Noble. I'm planning to accompany Pimsleur with one or both of them, the listening/speaking aspect is very useful for me as my auditory processing and speech both vary in quality in English so they need lots of reinforcement in Italian.

This week I'm going to carry on with Pimsleur and Duolingo, write in my Lang-8 diary at least every other day and make a start on the Learn Basic Italian list on Memrise. I'll also look at getting Colloquial Italian, as when I got Italian Demystified I didn't realise it was primarily a grammar book rather than a general textbook. I now know the Open University uses Colloquial Italian as the course text for their beginner Italian course and that's a good endorsement as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by PianoFish on 07 July 2014 at 3:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

PianoFish
United Kingdom
Joined 3619 days ago

11 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
15 July 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
*7th July 2am - 15th July 5pm*

Pimsleur: Units 11-16
Duolingo: Adverbs 4-9, places, objects, people - total 129 XP
Colloquial Italian: chapters 1-2
Lang-8: 2 entries, about wanting a new phone and a self-description (exercise 10 from Colloquial Italian chapter 2)

This week hasn't been as productive as last week and I haven't managed all of my goals, though I've made a start on Colloquial Italian and kept Pimsleur going. I've also acquired Easy Italian Reader and found I could understand the first couple of very basic texts.

Goals for this week are being expressed in hard numbers to improve motivation:

50 points per day on Duolingo
10 pages per day of Colloquial Italian
3 entries on Lang-8 of at least 3 sentences
1 Pimsleur unit per day
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version