China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English

Message 329 of 740
16 January 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Rather different than what I expected....
   站台有广播因为火车快到了
zhan4tai2 you3 guang3bo1 yin1wei huo3che1 kuai4 dao4 le
The warning bell for the approaching train is going off.

Should this be better? 站(zhàn)台(tái)有(yǒu)广(guǎng)播(bō)提(tí)醒(x ǐng)大(dà)家(jiā)火(huǒ)车(chē)就(jiù)要(yào) 进 (jìn)站(zhàn)了(le)。

Edited by lanni on 16 January 2011 at 4:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 330 of 740
16 January 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
lanni wrote:
Should this be better? 站(zhàn)台(tái)有(yǒu)广(guǎng)播(bō)提(tí)醒(x ǐng)大(dà)家(jiā)火(huǒ)车(chē)就(jiù)要(yào) 进 (jìn)站(zhàn)了(le)。

Lanni, thanks for the sentence!

I tend to think of a broadcast 广播 (guǎngbō) as using sentences like in radio and TV public service announcements. That's why the posted sentence was unexpected. It's going to take me a bit to get used to train "bells" and alarm sirens as being 广播.

lanni
China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 

Message 331 of 740
17 January 2011 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
It's going to take me a bit to get used to train "bells" and alarm sirens as being 广播.

Sorry, I had not got what you actually referred to by "广播".

I think "广播" means broadcast(n./v.) on radio or through a loudspeaker like in supermarkets,at railway stations, airports or on trains,etc.

Train bell is the prolonged honk people usually hear when a train is approaching in the railway station, am I right?

lanni wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
Rather different than what I expected....
   站台有广播因为火车快到了 zhan4tai2 you3 guang3bo1 yin1wei huo3che1 kuai4 dao4 le

Forget what I said. I would revise it as the following in the order of most casual to most formal.

* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),要 (yào) 进站(jìnzhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),就要(jiùyào)进站( jìn zhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),就 要 (jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),告 诉(gàosù)大家(dàjiā)就要(jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn) 了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),提 醒(tíxǐng)大家(dàjiā)就要(jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn ) 了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),提醒(tíxǐng)大家( dà jiā)即将(jíjiāng)进站(jìnzhàn)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),提(t í)醒(xǐng)人(rén)们(men)即(jí)将(jiāng)进(jìn) 站(zhàn)。

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 332 of 740
17 January 2011 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
lanni wrote:
I think "广播" means broadcast(n./v.) on radio or through a loudspeaker like in supermarkets,at railway stations, airports or on trains,etc.

Train bell is the prolonged honk people usually hear when a train is approaching in the railway station, am I right?

In this case the train bell is a repeated bell like sound which is broadcasted from loud speakers on the train station platform. The prolonged honk, from the train itself, is what I would call the train sounding its' horn.

lanni wrote:
Forget what I said. I would revise it as the following in the order of most casual to most formal.

* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),要 (yào) 进站(jìnzhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),就要(jiùyào)进站( jìn zhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),就 要 (jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn)了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),告 诉(gàosù)大家(dàjiā)就要(jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn) 了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),提 醒(tíxǐng)大家(dàjiā)就要(jiùyào)进站(jìnzhàn ) 了(le)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉(lā)笛(dí),提醒(tíxǐng)大家( dà jiā)即将(jíjiāng)进站(jìnzhàn)。
* 火车(huǒchē)拉响(lāxiǎng)笛(dí)声(shēng),提(t í)醒(xǐng)人(rén)们(men)即(jí)将(jiāng)进(jìn) 站(zhàn)。

I really apprecipate these sentences. Thanks! It will take me a while to digest these.

Edited by Snowflake on 17 January 2011 at 5:07am

lanni
China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 

Message 333 of 740
17 January 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:

Ok. Let me try once more.

* 火(huǒ)车(chē)进(jìn)站(zhàn)铃(líng)响(xiǎng) 了(le)。

* 火(huǒ)车(chē)进(jìn)站(zhàn)的(de)铃(líng)声(sh ēng)响(xiǎng)了(le)。

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 334 of 740
17 January 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Lanni, again thank you for all the sentences. I'm rather floored that you spent the time putting these together.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 335 of 740
18 January 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
This is going to ramble.

I've been blah lately about my Mandarin. Some if it is probably cabin fever. Some of it is that having regular contact with native speakers continually reminds me how much I have to learn. That in itself is rather depressing. And on top of that, many of these native speakers have high education levels. So their vocabulary is probably pretty good. On the upside, lately I've noticed words and phrases in my SRS deck that I remember despairing ever learning though now whiz through during review.   I'm starting to see learning Mandarin as a huge ABA shaping exercise.   Below is a little guideline that I used when training dogs and other animals. I feel that what I'm doing very closely follows this;
1... Get the behavior; memorize words, phrases, sentence patterns, cadence, etc.
2... Change the picture; That's literally what I do. It may be working SRS entries while watching TV, while looking out the window riding on the train or simply moving around the house while talking to myself.
3... Name the behavior; no equivalent so far.   Suspect this will become the stimulus for using specific words and sentences during conversation.
4... Make it harder; stand up while working entries, work with different background noise, say phrases while what I see is moving, etc
5... Take it on the road; I've started going different places to sit and work my material. Since I'm tied to SRS software, typically I'll go to a coffee or other eatery with internet access.

I'm creating a sea of reinforcements, which in this case is a huge sea of proper usage. The idea of the sea of reinforcements is doing, or in this case successfully speaking 5000 times (or whatever large number you'd like to use). So if on the 5001 time something unfortunate happens, like I use the wrong tone and end up saying something inappropriate which is embarassing....that one time is a drop vs the 5000 times where things went well, so I'll shrug it off and keep going. I regularly backchain when working on a phrase.   And lately, the songs that sometimes play in my head have been in Mandarin. That includes Mandarin versions of songs which I originally learned in English. So things are moving in the right direction, regardless of how blah I feel.

Keep on climbing... 继续加油!

Update; I notice that things stick much, much better, when practicing the phrase while watching a scene which has movement. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a person moving around or whether it's the scenary passing while I watch out the window of a moving train, or whether I'm visually panning the room. I do have the feeling that things sticks even better when practicing while I'm physically moving around.

Edited by Snowflake on 18 January 2011 at 4:13pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 336 of 740
21 January 2011 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I've messed up my lower back again and cannot carry my laptop back and forth to work....trying to figure out how to continue working SRS entries on the train. Am thinking of getting an iPod Touch but I already have a project issued Blackberry. Wondering if there is an Anki equivalent for Blackberry with some sort of conversion utility for Anki files...and I would need to be able to periodically sync what's on the Blackberry with my master SRS file. I do not want to be tied to a SRS which uses a web browser, want an offline client app. Of course, I should think beyond this project. Do I want to be tied to a Blackberry?

I got an email today from one of my Mandarin small groups containing the testimony of a group member (mainlander) in simplified. I missed the day he gave it in person. Soooo will be spending some time translating that.

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version