Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5252 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 337 of 740
21 January 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Rather different than what I expected....
   站台有广播因为火车快到了
zhan4tai2 you3 guang3bo1 yin1wei huo3che1 kuai4 dao4 le
The warning bell for the approaching train is going off.

I believe that 广播 refers to announcements like "The train is approaching. Please stand behind the yellow line" or "This train goes to Shanghai" or "First class is in the second cart".

站台 有 广播 因为 火车 快到了 = There is announcement at the platform because the train is arriving soon.

I'll never call 广播 warning bell or vice versa. 广播s have words.
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 338 of 740
21 January 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
   站台有广播因为火车快到了

.....snip........

That's why the sentence was unexpected. I was very clear in talking with this native speaker chat partner, that there were no words but only the sound of a bell. It is also possible that this may be a matter of regional or personal usage.

Edited by Snowflake on 21 January 2011 at 10:48pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 339 of 740
22 January 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I'm going to review the FSI resource module again....lately noticed that native speakers are having difficulty understanding certain sounds that I say. For example, a mainlander spent several minutes correcting my pronunciation of zhu. Later the Malaysian fellow told me that I was saying that wrong.

Edited by Snowflake on 22 January 2011 at 12:18am

lanni
China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English

Message 340 of 740
22 January 2011 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
   站台有广播因为火车快到了

.....snip........

That's why the sentence was unexpected. I was very clear in talking with this native speaker chat partner, that there were no words but only the sound of a bell. It is also possible that this may be a matter of regional or personal usage.

I wouldn't like to be mean to the native speaker chat partner you mentioned. The reason I chimed in the other day about the translation of "The warning bell for the approaching train is going off" is because the Chinese version "站台有广播因为火车快到了" you got sounds rather wrong both colloquially and formally, let alone grammatically. I assume you are learning 汉语普通话(hànyǔpǔtōnghuà),which, as what I have heard so far, is called in various ways as mandarin Chinese, standard Chinese, 国语guóyǔ, and 华语(huáyǔ),etc. Then I would say the sentence "站台有广播因为火车快到了。" is a rather negligent way of speaking. The only time that I myself could speak in that way is when I had been without sleep for 72 hours straight.   

火车笛声(huǒchēdíshēng):the prolonged honk that people usually hear from the approaching train.
警笛(jǐngdí):a police whistle; an alarm siren
站台铃声(zhàntáilíngshēng):the bell sound broadcasted through a loudspeaker at the platform.
下课铃声(xiàkèlíngshēng):the bell sound announcing the end of one class.
上课铃声(shàngkèlíngshēng):the bell sound announcing the beginning of one class.
广播(guǎngbō) n.:information people transmit by speaking through a loudspeaker or on radio/TV to the public.
广播 v.:to broadcast information by speaking through a loudspeaker or on radio/TV to the public.
听广播(tīngguǎngbō):to listen to the radio
广播找人(guǎngbōzhǎorén):to call someone's name out in a public place, especially using a loudspeaker, sometimes on radio, in order to find them.

Edited by lanni on 22 January 2011 at 1:59pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 341 of 740
22 January 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
lanni wrote:
sounds rather wrong both colloquially and formally, let alone grammatically.

Lanni, would you say that is true for many of the sentences I post? Most of my Skype chatting is with the person who helped me with the sentence that we're talking about. Here are a few more sentences from that person....

因为在修路, 所以有一点塞车
你的身体觉得冷,你会使用暖气
现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应/现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应
没办法, 分2天做
她正准备面试
我有一个问题是关於`需求`这个字

If you find the grammar, word choice, etc. a bit odd, then I think I know what is probably going on.

lanni
China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 

Message 342 of 740
22 January 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:

因为在修路, 所以有一点塞车
你的身体觉得冷,你会使用暖气
现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应/现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应
没办法, 分2天做
她正准备面试
我有一个问题是关於`需求`这个字
If you find the grammar, word choice, etc. a bit odd, then I think I know what is probably going on.

* 因为在修路, 所以有一点塞车。I personally prefer 堵车.

* 你的身体觉得冷,你会使用暖气。(Sounds wordy, too many redundant characters, and the   logic is not very clear, but generally this sentence is OK.)
觉得冷,就用暖气。(manly way of speaking,crisp, concise, clear logic. very colloquial.)
如果觉得冷,就用暖气。(mild,polite,still colloquial)
你觉得冷,就用暖气。(concise, focus more on the benefit of the person 你,considerate tone.)
觉得冷时,会用暖气。(shows an objective tone, like introducing living conditions)
觉得冷,可以用暖气。(means there is the option of using heater if someone feels cold)

* 现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应/现在你上年纪了, 身体比较不适应
Nowadays, the adv.比较 is abused in Chinese. I heard this comment from a teacher of Chinese language and literature. I agree. Is it trendy? I wouldn't follow.
现在你上年纪了,身体不太适应。
现在你上年纪了,身体不容易适应。
你现在上年纪了,所以身体不太适应。
你现在上年纪了,所以身体不容易适应。
(You can add 因为 at the beginning, it depends on which part you stress.)

* 没办法, 分2天做。(It is very concise and I don't know the context, so I have two ways of understanding.)
   1. 没办法,所以分两天做/干(完)的。Since conditions did not permit, we/I/he/she/they had to spend two days doing it.
   2. 如果没办法,就分两天做/干。If conditions do not permit, it is OK to spend two days doing it.

* 我有一个问题是关於`需求`这个。 (It is English way of speaking Chinese. Not very natural, but OK. If you punctuate it into two parts, it might sound better and be comfortable speaking)
     我有个问题,是关于“ 需求 ”这 个

Edited by lanni on 22 January 2011 at 12:57pm

lanni
China
Joined 6207 days ago

102 posts - 156 votes 

Message 343 of 740
22 January 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Lanni, would you say that is true for many of the sentences I post?

I am only a native Chinese speaker. What I said about the sentences you posted is my instinctive impression. Just for your reference.
Snowflake wrote:
四萬萬五千萬 (四万万五千万)

message 68 page 9
Dated. Heard it in period films about the times of late 1800s and early 1900s. In today's daily life, 450,000,000 is 四亿五千万(sìyì wǔqiānwàn)
Snowflake wrote:
你的妻子好不好?
message 89 page 12
My first impression of this sentence is: Is your wife a nice person?
To express the meaning of "How is your wife? ", I would say:
你妻子好吗?
你爱人好吗?
您夫人好吗?(very very formal. If you say 你夫人好吗? to a close friend, it implies a friendly joking tone. )
Snowflake wrote:
弄坏了
message 91 page 12
to damage something by messing about with it so that it does not work properly.
Snowflake wrote:
ruining your clothes

把你的衣服毁了。
Snowflake wrote:
弄毀了

I never heard anyone use "毁" as adv or adj.   If I remember correctly, 毁 is always used as a verb.
Snowflake wrote:
gan4 me5? 幹麼? (simp 干么?) The fellow from Jiangsu said that is, what are you doing (in general). I've also heard this used as a sort of what's up?! He said in comparison zai4 gan4 me5? 在幹麼? (simp 在干么?) is short for 你在幹什麼? and is what are you doing (right now or in particular).
message 93 page 12
干么/吗(gànme)?Would you do it? Shall we do it? Are you going to do it? Is she/Is he/Are they willing to do it? Do they/ Does she/ Does he/Do you accept it?
在干嘛(zàigànmá)?What are you doing? (more colloquial than 你在干什么?)
干嘛(gànmá)?An impatient way of asking someone what they want when they call to you.
Snowflake wrote:
Shen2me5 hui2 shi4? 什麼回事? (simp 什么回事?)   
message 94 page 12
Never heard of it.    It should be 怎么回事儿(zěnmehuíshìer)?
Snowflake wrote:
你的辦公室開的嗎 /你的办公室开的吗?/ 你的辦公室開了嗎
message 99 page 13
你的办公室门开着吗(nǐdebàngōngshì ménkāizhema)?Insert a brief pause between 室 and 门, to make the reading comfortable.
你办公室的门开着吗?
你办公室的门是开着的吗?
Snowflake wrote:
手工冰凍水餃/ 手工冰冻水饺
message 137 page 18
手工速冻水饺(shǒugōng sùdòng shuǐjiǎo)。
Snowflake wrote:
马马虎虎/馬馬虎虎 (ma3mahu1hu)
message 158 page 20
马马虎虎 (mámǎhūhū)   The first马 is actually pronounced as 2nd tone in real speech.   The second 虎 is also 1st tone.
Snowflake wrote:
忘记比忘丢,没有什么分别
message 177 page 23
Never heard of 忘丢。
Often hear people say "我/他/你忘了……。" “我/他/你忘记……。” "我/他/你 忘了。" “我/他/你 忘 ……了。”
Snowflake wrote:
要是我等到听得懂的时候,就是甚么都听不懂. If I wait until I understand, then I will never understand anything.
message 189 page 24
If you translate this English sentence literally, I guess every Chinese native speaker would pause for a few seconds before answering. I myself paused longer than that before I came up with this understanding:
不管以后怎样,反正现在我能听懂多少就算多 少(bùguǎn yǐhòu zěnyàng,fǎnzhèng xiànzài wǒ néngtīngdǒng duōshǎo jiù suànduōshǎo)。 I've got to be satisfied with whatever I can understand anyway, I will leave future to future. (Excuse the rough translation. I am still learning English.)
Snowflake wrote:
电子邮件也发不通。The email didn't go through.
message 215 page 27
发不通 is not natural. I would say 电子邮件也发不出去(diànzǐyóujiàn yě fābùchūqù)。
Snowflake wrote:
Have started running into more words that are not showing up in Nciku. The frequency is extremely low, though noticeable. An example is 缩写 (縮寫) suōxiě abbreviation; to abridge which came up when talking about acronymns like ASAP.
message 242 page 31
缩写:to abbreviate; abbreviation
删节(shānjié):to abridge
删节版(bǎn)/删节本:abridged version
Snowflake wrote:
罗马不是一天造成的 / 羅馬不是一天造成的 Rome was not built in a day.
message 265 page 34
罗马不是一天建(jiàn)成的。
Snowflake wrote:
在多,永远补遣多    zai4 duō yong3yuan3 bu3qian3 duō
In the movie this refers to potato chips, as in the jingle...can't stop eating them.
Updated again, corrected pinyin and associated characters
message 274 page 35
再多也永远不嫌多(zàiduō yě yǒngyuǎn bùxiánduō)。 When reading aloud, switch 3rd tone of 永 to 2nd tone.
Snowflake wrote:
在尾牙,你们通常吃什么?
message 328 page 41
I know 尾牙is still used in Taiwan. But it is a long-dated word in mainland. 公司年终聚餐/单位年终聚餐 should be it.   

Edited by lanni on 22 January 2011 at 3:59pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 344 of 740
22 January 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
lanni wrote:
Snowflake wrote:
Lanni, would you say that is true for many of the sentences I post?

I am only a native Chinese speaker. What I said about the sentences you posted is my instinctive impression. Just for your reference.
Snowflake wrote:
四萬萬五千萬 (四万万五千万)

message 68 page 9
Dated. Heard it in period films about the times of late 1800s and early 1900s. In today's daily life, 450,000,000 is 四亿五千万(sìyì wǔqiānwàn)
Snowflake wrote:
你的妻子好不好?
message 89 page 12
My first impression of this sentence is: Is your wife a nice person?
To express the meaning of "How is your wife? ", I would say:
你妻子好吗?
你爱人好吗?
您夫人好吗?(very very formal. If you say 你夫人好吗? to a close friend, it implies a friendly joking tone. )
Snowflake wrote:
弄坏了
message 91 page 12
to damage something by messing about with it so that it does not work properly.
Snowflake wrote:
ruining your clothes

把你的衣服毁了。
Snowflake wrote:
弄毀了

I never heard anyone use "毁" as adv or adj.   If I remember correctly, 毁 is always used as a verb.
Snowflake wrote:
gan4 me5? 幹麼? (simp 干么?) The fellow from Jiangsu said that is, what are you doing (in general). I've also heard this used as a sort of what's up?! He said in comparison zai4 gan4 me5? 在幹麼? (simp 在干么?) is short for 你在幹什麼? and is what are you doing (right now or in particular).
message 93 page 12
干么/吗(gànme)?Would you do it? Shall we do it? Are you going to do it? Is she/Is he/Are they willing to do it? Do they/ Does she/ Does he/Do you accept it?
在干嘛(zàigànmá)?What are you doing? (more colloquial than 你在干什么?)
干嘛(gànmá)?An impatient way of asking someone what they want when they call to you.
Snowflake wrote:
Shen2me5 hui2 shi4? 什麼回事? (simp 什么回事?)   
message 94 page 12
Never heard of it.    It should be 怎么回事儿(zěnmehuíshìer)?
Snowflake wrote:
你的辦公室開的嗎 /你的办公室开的吗?/ 你的辦公室開了嗎
message 99 page 13
你的办公室门开着吗(nǐdebàngōngshì ménkāizhema)?Insert a brief pause between 室 and 门, to make the reading comfortable.
你办公室的门开着吗?
你办公室的门是开着的吗?
Snowflake wrote:
手工冰凍水餃/ 手工冰冻水饺
message 137 page 18
手工速冻水饺(shǒugōng sùdòng shuǐjiǎo)。
Snowflake wrote:
马马虎虎/馬馬虎虎 (ma3mahu1hu)
message 158 page 20
马马虎虎 (mámǎhūhū)   The first马 is actually pronounced as 2nd tone in real speech.   The second 虎 is also 1st tone.
Snowflake wrote:
忘记比忘丢,没有什么分别
message 177 page 23
Never heard of 忘丢。
Often hear people say "我/他/你忘了……。" “我/他/你忘记……。” "我/他/你 忘了。" “我/他/你 忘 ……了。”
Snowflake wrote:
要是我等到听得懂的时候,就是甚么都听不懂. If I wait until I understand, then I will never understand anything.
message 189 page 24
If you translate this English sentence literally, I guess every Chinese native speaker would pause for a few seconds before answering. I myself paused longer than that before I came up with this understanding:
不管以后怎样,反正现在我能听懂多少就算多 少(bùguǎn yǐhòu zěnyàng,fǎnzhèng xiànzài wǒ néngtīngdǒng duōshǎo jiù suànduōshǎo)。 I've got to be satisfied with whatever I can understand anyway, I will leave future to future. (Excuse the rough translation. I am still learning English.)
Snowflake wrote:
电子邮件也发不通。The email didn't go through.
message 215 page 27
发不通 is not natural. I would say 电子邮件也发不出去(diànzǐyóujiàn yě fābùchūqù)。
Snowflake wrote:
Have started running into more words that are not showing up in Nciku. The frequency is extremely low, though noticeable. An example is 缩写 (縮寫) suōxiě abbreviation; to abridge which came up when talking about acronymns like ASAP.
message 242 page 31
缩写:to abbreviate; abbreviation
删节(shānjié):to abridge
删节版(bǎn)/删节本:abridged version
Snowflake wrote:
罗马不是一天造成的 / 羅馬不是一天造成的 Rome was not built in a day.
message 265 page 34
罗马不是一天建(jiàn)成的。
Snowflake wrote:
在多,永远补遣多    zai4 duō yong3yuan3 bu3qian3 duō
In the movie this refers to potato chips, as in the jingle...can't stop eating them.
Updated again, corrected pinyin and associated characters
message 274 page 35
再多也永远不嫌多(zàiduō yě yǒngyuǎn bùxiánduō)。 When reading aloud, switch 3rd tone of 永 to 2nd tone.
Snowflake wrote:
在尾牙,你们通常吃什么?
message 328 page 41
I know 尾牙is still used in Taiwan. But it is a long-dated word in mainland. 公司年终聚餐/单位年终聚餐 should be it.   

I think this illustrates how hard it can be to learn a language. The phrases and sentences here are from a wide range of sources.

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version