740 messages over 93 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 ... 92 93 Next >>
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 417 of 740
06 July 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Having motivation issues...it doesn't help that I injured myself and am in some pain. Accepting that for now, I have to talk to native speakers in a mix of Mandarin and English. IOW, any practice is good especially when a few pointers get thrown in. Today I was corrected on 白酒 (bai2 jiu3). I thought 白酒 was white wine but it's strong liquor like Vodka. 白葡萄酒 (bai2 pu2tao2jiu3) is white wine.

Edited by Snowflake on 06 July 2011 at 3:14am

3 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5994 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 418 of 740
06 July 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Having motivation issues...it doesn't help that I injured myself and
am in some pain. Accepting that for now, I have to talk to native speakers in a mix of
Mandarin and English. IOW, any practice is good especially when a few pointers get
thrown in. Today I was corrected on 白酒 (bai2 jiu3). I thought 白酒 was white wine
but it's strong liquor like Vodka. 白葡萄酒 (bai2 pu2tao2jiu3) is white wine.

Hang in there! Everyday and every conversation, mixed or not, counts.

Since joining a local club for students of Mandarin, I have noticed that large number
of students seem to be "heritage students". I have to admit that it seems unfair to
them and a double injury; on the one hand, they are thought to be "different" in their
environment here and might be asked "hey where are you from?" etc. On the other hand,
other Chinese expect them to speak the language. Meanwhile, it wasn't their fault that
for whatever reason they weren't brought up with the language.

Whereas I get gasps and awes for just saying the number 四 with correct accent, they
must feel like they have failed for not being up to the native standards that everyone
expects of them. Even if just speaking in terms of kudos and motivational comments
from others, it really seems unfair and I just want to say that I hope that isn't
something that is demotivating you.

When your standard is native like, this language must be the hardest on the planet.
I'm sure that it is very difficult in every language, but Chinese seems special. It is
really an ocean of phrases, connotations, characters, historical references, really
just a huge Everest of raw information.

By the way, about the 白酒,its funny you mention that. I too had some confusion; I was
at a Chinese dinner party (new years) and one of the men offered me 白酒. I had heard
the word before and just assumed it was beer or wine. I didn't see from where it was
poured and probably wasn't paying much attention anyway, only when I gulped it down did
I realize it was really strong liquor and I immediately got a buzz! It definitely
caused a laugh around the table as my white face turned red.
1 person has voted this message useful

colorcollar
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 419 of 740
09 July 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, i have a question: how do you type Chinese characters in your reply? Every time I previewed my reply, all characters were messed up. It only presents English in a normal way. Thanks!

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 420 of 740
09 July 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Irrationale, there are some family things going on which require my attention right now. I'll post a response, probably next week.   

Colorcollar, I generally don't use preview as it sometimes does wierd things like what you've described. Usually I'll post and then make any corrections by editing that post.

Edited by Snowflake on 09 July 2011 at 5:50am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 421 of 740
12 July 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
There are some family things happening right now. Today I said something to my aunt in Mandarin. She did not understand (originally from Hong Kong) so her daughter-in-law gave me a little smile and translated into Cantonese. I mentioned this exchange later in the presence of my mother. She complained that I speak 白话 which she said is not right (she left the mainland before 1949). She went on to say that's why she and others (like my aunt) do not understand my Mandarin. My mothers' stated Mandarin preference is what is spoken in Taiwan. Given how many Taiwanese I regularly chat with, my husband and I later had a good chuckle.

Edited by Snowflake on 15 July 2011 at 5:29am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 422 of 740
14 July 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
Hang in there! Everyday and every conversation, mixed or not, counts.

Since joining a local club for students of Mandarin, I have noticed that large number
of students seem to be "heritage students". I have to admit that it seems unfair to
them and a double injury; on the one hand, they are thought to be "different" in their
environment here and might be asked "hey where are you from?" etc. On the other hand,
other Chinese expect them to speak the language. Meanwhile, it wasn't their fault that
for whatever reason they weren't brought up with the language.

Whereas I get gasps and awes for just saying the number 四 with correct accent, they
must feel like they have failed for not being up to the native standards that everyone
expects of them. Even if just speaking in terms of kudos and motivational comments
from others, it really seems unfair and I just want to say that I hope that isn't
something that is demotivating you.

When your standard is native like, this language must be the hardest on the planet.
I'm sure that it is very difficult in every language, but Chinese seems special. It is
really an ocean of phrases, connotations, characters, historical references, really
just a huge Everest of raw information.

My husband commented that he’s never seen these ideas expressed in print, together at the same time. Anyhow, I’m probably older than most "heritage learners" and have reconciled myself to this is just how life is.

Sometimes native speakers think that I should quickly pick up the language. I happen to work in a technical field. That is not necessarily saying much since in the US we are a rather egalitarian society, though often native Chinese speakers see technically oriented people as bright and expect them to quickly learn new things. Native speakers have said that I’m 厉害 after discovering what I do. Sometimes they become quiet and more respectful. If they have a job that they are rather proud about, they may say something like we Chinese are smart (ethnocentric pride element). The idea that someone may have very good skills in one area but be poor in another can be rather alien. So they genuinely can be at a loss that my Mandarin is not zipping along at a fast pace (yes, that's been expressed). The native speakers who have understood how difficult learning Mandarin can be, that I've encountered, generally have had at least 2 of these 3 characteristics;
1.. are university educated (there may be a self confidence thing going on with this)
2.. had great difficulties learning English
3.. are in the midst of trying to teach their children the language which is not going too well, or else tried and had an unsatisfactory outcome.

Something else contributing to feeling demotivated... my work situation. I'm scheduled to be on this project well into next year which is good for practicing Mandarin but less so for my job skills.

Edited by Snowflake on 16 July 2011 at 8:34pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 423 of 740
14 July 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
I'm concerned about burdening my native speaker friends, so at work am trying to switch off talking to different people. I'm also starting to alternate visiting my small groups....visit this group for several months, then visit the other one for several months, etc. Lately I've been staying away from the groups due to feeling blah.

In view of being demotivated and needing to sustain a routine, am thinking about switching back and forth between echoing and working on islands. Continueing SRS work is a given.

Update; think I should change my routine to help get out of the doldrums. Thinking about using SAFMEDS again though only with the CLO vocabulary. It helps that the material can be printed off and cut up to make flash cards. Ordered a Mandarin dubbed copy of the "Lord of the Rings" which may arrive tomorrow, given the current tracking information. Maybe something can be done something with that.

There's talk that I can be extended on this project for several years.... definitely have mixed feelings.

Edited by Snowflake on 15 July 2011 at 5:31am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 424 of 740
16 July 2011 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
OK, my region 6 DVDs of "The Lord of the Rings" have arrived. Region 6 covers the mainland. These DVDs have English and Mandarin audio as well as subtitles in both. My overseas chat partner in Taiwan said they watch these movies with the original English audio and Chinese subtitles. Taiwan is covered in region 3. He said the title in Mandarin is 魔戒 (mo2jie4). These DVDs are entitled 指环王 (zhi3huan2wang2). This should be interesting.

Edited by Snowflake on 16 July 2011 at 8:44pm

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version