740 messages over 93 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 62 ... 92 93 Next >>
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 489 of 740
31 October 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Well my tutor, who was born in Xi'an and raised in Beijing, uses 黃油 (huángyóu). When I used 黃油 with my Taiwanese chat partner, he said they use 奶油 (nǎiyóu).
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 490 of 740
02 November 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
There are some family concerns going on so things have been more irratic than usual. Today I played around with using Audacity to extract audio. Then on a whim, I created an Anki entry where the prompt is my voice saying an English phrase. The answer is the Mandarin audio and characters. There is neither pinyin nor written English on the card.   

I'm thinking of extracting some audio to make a Mandarin cell phone ringtone. Given my sense of humor, one of the things I'm considering is...The sky is falling! from "Chicken Little".

Edited by Snowflake on 03 November 2011 at 3:02am

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5092 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 491 of 740
02 November 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Creating lots and lots of audio cards from English to mandarin has helped me out a lot, and I bet it would be well
worth your effort! Even the process of splitting the audio helps a lot because you get a lot of time to listen to the
mandarin phrases. I'm sure you know this already, but I hope my reminder helps :D

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 492 of 740
03 November 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Well a huge part of the reluctance to sparse audio has been my hate relationship with Audacity. I was parsing again today and wanted to throw my laptop out the window. Then I decided to redownload the software. The previous version had been installed by my son who does the audio for some functions at his church... including a conference completely in Mandarin! Anyhow, this beta version seems to be behaving. It's the one recommended for my OS.

For some reason the audio doesn't work for AnkiMobile on my iTouch. Originally I was getting an error message. That's gone now but the audio will not play when I touch the on-screen arrows. And in case anyone is wondering, yes I am using DropBox.

Edited by Snowflake on 08 November 2011 at 4:05am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 493 of 740
05 November 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Quick thoughts, will be disorganized....Didn't get a lot of studying in this week between the family and things happening at work. IOW the week had hardly any FSI work. Yesterday I started back with the module review and realized that any gains on properly using 了 were in the wind. This morning when talking with my overseas Taiwanese chat partner, it came to me the problem is that when presented with a situation to use 了 I do not recognize it. OIOW, the cues are not salient (to me). I understand the explanations for 了 and can repeat those quite well. I've started listening to ChinesePod Qing Wen explanations on 了 which mention what some of those cues specifically are. These are the freebie podcasts to entice people to subscribe. Will probably update this post after going through the second podcast and mulling things over. Earlier in the week, I listened to a PopUp Chinese podcast on 了 and 过 which was quite basic.

The banter that some people complain about in the podcasts...I've run into that often enough when in actual conversation with native Mandarin and Cantonese speakers. To be specific I've run into giggling/laughing when, to an American, it doesn't necessarily seem appropriate. The Qing Wen podcast had more banter, especially giggling, than I'm used to.

Edited by Snowflake on 05 November 2011 at 7:54pm

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 494 of 740
06 November 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
This seems to fall under specialty language subjects.... I was making bread this morning as a thank you gift for someone who jumped the car for my kids when they were stuck one day with a dead battery at church. I was talking with my overseas Taiwanese chat partner and had to check the dough. So I mentioned needing to look at the 发面/發麵 (fāmiàn, leavened dough, to leaven dough, to make bread). He had no idea what I was talking about even though we had talked about why I was making bread during the call. I then gave him the traditional characters. He didn't know what the word meant and looked it up. That was a bit of an eye opener.

The word for yeast (酵母) is apparently pronounced differently between the mainland and Taiwan. My tutor says jiàomǔ. When I looked it up in YellowBridge, several weeks ago, it said xiàomǔ. Today YellowBridge had jiàomǔ. Xiàomǔ is how my Taiwanese chat partner pronounces it.

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4993 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 495 of 740
07 November 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
This seems to fall under specialty language subjects.... I was making bread this morning as a thank you gift for someone who jumped the car for my kids when they were stuck one day with a dead battery at church. I was talking with my overseas Taiwanese chat partner and had to check the dough. So I mentioned needing to look at the 发面/發麵 (fāmiàn, leavened dough, to leaven dough, to make bread). He had no idea what I was talking about even though we had talked about why I was making bread during the call. I then gave him the traditional characters. He didn't know what the word meant and looked it up. That was a bit of an eye opener.

The word for yeast (酵母) is apparently pronounced differently between the mainland and Taiwan. My tutor says jiàomǔ. When I looked it up in YellowBridge, several weeks ago, it said xiàomǔ. Today YellowBridge had jiàomǔ. Xiàomǔ is how my Taiwanese chat partner pronounces it.

That is indeed surprising for some Chinese to know so little about cooking. I guess your Taiwanese partner is perhaps too young or too rich to experience such housework. :)

酵母:According to several major ancient Chinese dictionaries, both pronunciations are possible. Today, it has a standard pronunciation as jiàomǔ in mainland and usually pronounced xiàomǔ in Taiwan where jiàomǔ is also listed as an alternative in some dictionaries.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 496 of 740
13 November 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Everplayer!

Edited by Snowflake on 13 November 2011 at 3:56pm

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version