Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 89 of 108
17 October 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Gosiak, I 'googled' co nieco and you're right - there were thousands of references to sweets, ice-creams, cakes, savoury pancakes etc.

No jestem teraz bardzo głodny....może powinienem jeść 'małe co nieco' :)

Edited by Mooby on 19 October 2012 at 12:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 90 of 108
20 October 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
The Saddest Thing I've Heard for a While...

>>> Czesław Śpiewa - W Sam Raz   <<<

A deeply haunting song and video about past atrocities and the helplessness (even complicity)
that follows. I don't understand the lyrics well enough to know what is
being addressed exactly, but the shrouded figure at the beginning appears to reach out
to us from the past, to draw our attention to what happened. One by one, an array of
silent people appear as if back from the dead. Traumatised, battered, unconscious they
are clearly victims of some crime or crimes. Given Poland's history it leads me to to
think of the tragedies suffered in the Second World War, and to war in the Balkans during
the 1990's.
Boys play (?) in the snow, already marked by a death to come.
Boys stand with bloodied faces, staring directly at us, as if we should have intervened.
Someone is hunted through the woods, a woman alive and drinking soup (?) but unable to
swallow.
The singer staggers and shambles his way through deserted houses asking forgiveness,
admitting he didn't have the strength to fight, that he chose silence.
Dark, disturbing, cinemographic and moving - uncomfortably moving.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5830 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 91 of 108
23 October 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
It makes me think of several murders that were recently committed in Poland. There was for example that case of a policeman with no apparent existential problems who one day murdered his daughters and his wife and finally committed suicide. The lyrics of the song seem to address the breakup of a relationship, but the video clip suggests that this breakup is going to be of fatal consequences.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 92 of 108
30 October 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3036
Hours Studied = 10 (Total: 462)

I had a nice immersion experience on Saturday. One of my students has just bought a house and I was invited to the house-warming party. Four other Polish families were invited and I was the only native English speaker present. At first I was a little self-conscious about speaking Polish partly because I have deliberately spoken in English for their benefit as immigrants needing to learn. And partly because their spoken English is so much better than my Polish. But as the evening wore on, I grew in confidence and managed to make comments and requests without offending anyone.
I enjoyed just listening to the conversations around me and whilst they were too fast for me to process, I thought to myself 'although I don't understand much of what is being said, I KNOW most of the words they're using'. Comprehension was frustratingly just out of reach - had these conversations been a lot slower or written down, I know I would have understood most of them.
I left at 2 in the morning (eight hours immersion).

Words of the Week
Macica - 'womb' / 'uterus'
Płód - 'foetus'
Toteż - 'for that reason' / 'that is why'. That is why we need this project ('Toteż potrzebujemy tego projektu')
Rozpieszczony - 'spoilt / spoiled' (pampered). A spoilt brat ('Rozpieszczony bachor')
Gust - 'taste' (liking, a sense of style). In good taste ('W dobrym guście'). It's a matter of taste ('To rzecz gustu').

Track of the Week
Here's another track from Pustki called Parzydełko. I like the primative animation, but not sure exactly what she's singing about yet!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 93 of 108
12 November 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3048
Hours Studied = 14 (Total: 476)

One of the guests at the house-warming party I mentioned in my previous post, introduced me to her mother who is a trained teacher of Polish. The mother, Dana, was very happy to help me in return for help with her English. I met with her for the second time today, and we chatted for over 4 hours in both languages. I felt my speaking confidence grow by the minute with fluency improving the most, but also accuracy. We talked about our families, music, travel, things we did yesterday, friends... I think I've got sufficient vocabulary now to talk about a wide range of general subjects. I even dare to think that I might actually (officially) "speak Polish", although badly. Anyway, Dana, seemed impressed and I don't think she was trying to be too polite.
As always, it's my listening that lets the conversation down.

A Good Source....)
...for reading and acquiring new words is Kobieta.pl or 'Woman.pl'.
Someone said somewhere, I can't remember exactly who, that women's magazines are good sources of general vocabulary. Anyway, I've been reading quite a few articles and using the google translate function to help get loads of new words. Some of the stuff I ignore, but even as a man it has enough to interest me and make the occasional foray worthwhile.

Words of the Week
Pogorszyć się perfective - 'to get worse', 'to deteriorate'. His state of health has got worse ('jego stan zdrowia się pogorszył')
Pleśń - 'mould', 'mildew'. Mould on the wall ('pleśń na ścianie').
Wilgoć fem. - 'moisture', 'dampness'.
Wilgotność - 'humidity'.
Indyk - 'turkey' as in the bird..

And Finally....
...our music offering is from Oddział Zamknięty with a mellow track called My Friends ('Moi Przyjaciele').

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5510 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 94 of 108
22 November 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Having hour long conversations with native Poles... Amazing to see how much you've improved since the start of year. Keep up the incredible work Mooby! And thanks for maintaining such a great account of your trials, accomplishments and interactions with the language, a joy to read, will definitely bookmark this so that I can go through it when I start up with the language again. Take care!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 95 of 108
22 November 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Dzięki Vos, jestem bardzo zniechęcony!

Anki = 3081
Hours Studied = 16 (Total: 492)

I had my weekly conversation with Grażyna on Tuesday, but I was too tired to think of interesting things to say, and fluency was at a low ebb. So as a change of activity, she read a few pages from an article about the Polish photographer Ryszard Horowitz. I struggled to listen, but got the jist.

I've been reading a blog by a MasterChef show participant Kinga Paruzel and again using Google Translate to pick up new words and expressions.

Words of the Week
Skurcz - 'cramp' in muscles. I've got cramp ('Złapał mnie skurcz') or literally; caught me cramp.
Kibicować - 'to cheer on', 'cheer for', 'root for' support. I'm rooting for you (''Kibicuję ci')
Mięta - 'mint' the herb. [Miętówka = mint candy or mint liqueur]
Wsparcie - 'support' help, backing, assistance. Thank you for your support ('Dziękuję za twoje wsparcie')
Guz - 'Lump', 'bump', 'swelling' on body. He's got a lump on his forehead ('On ma guz na czole')

Polish Humour in Animation
I've noticed that Poles seem to like quirky and at times quite grotesque humour.
This animation is an example taken from a radio series called 'From the diary of a Young Doctor' (Z pamiętnika młodej lekarki).
I like the contrast between the female's voice (school mistress precision) and the male's voice (extremely eratic).

Edited by Mooby on 22 November 2012 at 1:33pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 96 of 108
07 December 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3128
Hours Studied = 16 (Total: 508)

I've not been feeling great this past week, and had trouble sleeping - leaving me too tired to do much study. The first snow came on Monday, and I've had to cancel both meetings with my conversation partners.
I've spent the time mostly reading and reviewing / building vocabulary. I'm looking at Polish syntax a lot closer now and I make notes of word order, word omissions and phraseology. Take this phrase for example:

ENGLISH: 'I find it hard to imagine...'
POLISH: 'Trudno mi wyobrazić sobie...'

The use of the adverb + 'mi' is cropping up in Polish the more I look.

Words of the Week
Ani - 'or', 'neither', 'nor'. Conj. He neither phoned nor wrote a letter ('ani nie zadzwonił, ani nie napisał' )
Łapówka - 'bribe'. Derived from Łapa ('paw')
Mundur - 'uniform'. School uniform (mundurek). Military uniforms (mundury wojskowe)
Dotychczasowy - 'up to now'[present]. The greatest success up to now... ('największy dotychczasowy sukces...')
Podziwiać imp. - 'to admire' / 'to marvel at'. . I admired his extraordinary determination ('podziwiałem jego niezwykłą determinację').

And for romantics or guitar lovers...
Here's a track, Dawna Dziewczyno, sung by Maciej Maleńczuk. Something about meeting an ex-girlfriend I think.

Do zobaczenia!

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version