Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 108
15 June 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
I aked this same question to a Polish friend, and she said that both are used interchangeably to mean 'because', and both words are very common. Ponieważ also means 'since'* so there may be a slight distinction there.
I tend to use both with equal frequency.

*'Since' referring to the passing of time e.g I haven't drunk alcohol since Monday, is the Polish word 'od'.

Powodzenia.

Edited by Mooby on 15 June 2012 at 2:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6306 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 58 of 108
15 June 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
There is one main difference, namely, 'bo' is typically colloquial and you can't really use it in writing. When it comes to speaking both mean 'because'. There are at least 2 more with the same meaning: 'dlatego, że' and 'gdyż'. They can both be used in writing.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 59 of 108
15 June 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Bardzo dziękuję tozick.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5911 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 108
15 June 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 

This isn't a Polish question, but I have to ask:

Quote:
Have a few moobies instead

What's a mooby? Is that a UK slang word? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really don't know!

A "Mooby" in NJ is a fictional cow mascot for an imaginary restaurant in an alternate universe. This comes from the work of filmmaker Kevin Smith.

Explain please :) In Polish if you like!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 61 of 108
15 June 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:

This isn't a Polish question, but I have to ask:

Quote:
Have a few moobies instead

What's a mooby? Is that a UK slang word? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I really don't know!

A "Mooby" in NJ is a fictional cow mascot for an imaginary restaurant in an alternate universe. This comes from the work of filmmaker Kevin Smith.

Explain please :) In Polish if you like!

I just made it up on the spur of the moment; must have had a 'bison moment' and felt the urge to go bovine. I hope it DOESN'T mean anything, at least nothing crude, crass, criminal or overly controversial. Maybe we can officially add the word to the Żubr lexicon? Or trade moobies on the stock exchange. (Getting carried away, time for the green tea...)
Powodzenia!

Edited by Mooby on 15 June 2012 at 4:13pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5911 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 62 of 108
15 June 2012 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 

Oh, but it DOES have a meaning, and you chose your name well, because Mooby is indeed bovine! A cartoon cow, not a bison, though. Here's dinner at Mooby's!

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I thought you had to know.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 63 of 108
15 June 2012 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
!!!!! I repeat !!!!!

I have a terrible dilemma. If I eat a mooby burger, am I cannibalising myself?
Time for another green tea

Edited by Mooby on 15 June 2012 at 5:45pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6049 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 

Message 64 of 108
20 June 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 2790
Hours Studied = 10 (Total: 314)

A slow week. But had two good conversations with Dorota and Graźyna.

Verbs of Motion
I've always had a vague idea about Polish verbs of motion, so I asked Dorota to help clarify things last week. Together, we constructed sample sentences that helped to illustrate the uses and differences.
In English, we have the verb 'to go' which can be used for pretty much any motion from walking to driving to travelling by train. Sure, we can say 'I walked to the shop' but 'I went to the shop' is fine too. In Polish we have to specify the mode of transport and specify the nature of the particular action: is it regular / frequent / daily (INDETERMINATE) or a one-off / particular action (DETERMINATE)? There's still the imperfective and perfective aspects to deal with too.
Here's a few examples we came up with:

VERB 1. to go (by foot) / to walk Chodzić - Iść - Pójść

1. 'I went to school' (a regular activity so it's the INDETERMINATE) = Chodziłem do szkoły Verb used is 'Chodzić'
2. 'I went to church' (again, if a regular thing then it's the INDETERMINATE) = Chodziłem do kościoła. Verb used is 'Chodzić'
3. 'I went to the church' (implies a single instance, not regular. For example I went to the church as a tourist just to view the architecture. So it's the DETERMINATE) = Poszedłem do kościoła. Verb used is 'Pójść'
4. 'I went to the post office' or 'I walked to the post office' (in this example I'm only going for a specific journey, I'm not doing this regularly. So again it's the DETERMINATE) = Poszedłem na pocztę. Verb used is 'Pójść'
5. 'Go upstairs!' (a command focusing on the immediate act of moving, go, get a move on! As this action is not usually frequent or everyday, it has to be DETERMINATE but using the imperfective aspect) = Idź do góry! or just a straight Idź!. Verb used is 'Iść'
6. 'I'm going to school' (again the focus is on the act of moving, not the destination. Imagine a narky teenager saying to his nagging mum 'alright, alright I'm going to school' So although going to school is usually a regular act implying the need for the indeterminate, in this example we need the DETERMINATE but using the imperfective aspect) = Idę do szkoły. Notice that idę (present tense) is used even though strictly speaking the action is still in the future. This is because the act is imminent, the very near future. Verb used is 'Iść'
7. 'Let's go!' (there are two common ways of expressing this in Polish) = Chodźmy! a more suggestive polite way of saying this. Idziemy! is more insistent, like you've said 'chodźmy' a few times already and now you're getting impatient.

VERB 2. - I'll leave this till next time.
Congratulations if you haven't run to the window screaming or hurled your computer through it. I'm still getting my brain round it.

Words of the Week
Przynajmniej - 'at least' e.g at least once, at least try to enjoy it...
Byle part. - 'provided' / 'as long as'. As long as no-one knows (=byle nikt nie wiedział)
Byle co - 'any old thing'
Byle kto - 'just anyone' e.g they don't admit just anyone into their club.
Dziwak - 'a wierdo, odd-ball'
Potulny - 'meek', 'docile'

Edited by Mooby on 26 June 2012 at 6:56pm

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version