AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3995 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 201 of 212
21 January 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Lorren, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

I was thinking of you this week as I worked through my Anki cards. I know you try to keep you number of cards to study up pretty high (do you try to keep it to 100?) Anyway, I was thinking that was a pretty good strategy. I don't work through my Anki nearly often enough!
1 person has voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 202 of 212
22 January 2015 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Gracias.

I do approximately 150 cards. I don't like it to go over 200, and if it goes below 150, I have cards that I've highlighted in Leal that I want to add.

Once I finish adding the Leal words, the list may go down in length though. I have a physical copy of Los Juegos del Hambre and the following books (as well as the Dragonlance Chronicles which I'm planning on reading after that), so unless I have a pen with me and write the unknown words down on a piece of paper, I pretty much will only be adding the National Geographic words to Anki, and the list will get smaller.

It usually doesn't take me that long to go through the words. Generally around 20 minutes.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 

Message 203 of 212
25 January 2015 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Hallo!

Dieses Woche ich lerne viele. Ich muß mich ausruhen jetzt. Ich lerne mehr als zwanzig Fähigkeiten am Duolingo, und hat mehr als 2000 Punkte.

And I'm sure that I butchered that paragraph. Anyway, I took part in a Duolingo contest for the person that could learn the most skills. So I worked really hard and did over 20 skills... each skill having up to 11 lessons (most somewhere around 5 to 8). I did about half German and half Spanish. I learned/reinforced a lot, but today, when the contest had ended, I pretty much did a couple of Spanish lessons and some translations. That was all I had the stamina for on Duolingo.

I finished reading a National Geographic article. Today I've had to look up about 10 words, including trout, check (as in to verify), preyed, buffer, and barley. I couldn't find the definition for "cajamarquina" though. I think it might be residents of a certain location in Peru, but I'm not entirely sure. One of the 10 words was an indiginous people in Peru. In a way, learning Spanish is causing me to learn other things as well.

So it was a very busy week for me in language learning, but I'll probably slow down a bit and do more translating and reading for a while. We'll see.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 

Message 204 of 212
23 March 2015 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
¡Hola! He estudiado lenguas todo los días. Normalmente estudio español, y estudio alemán muchas veces. Esta semana es una vacación por mis hijos.

It's hard to believe that it's been more than a month since I last updated. I haven't given up on language study though; in fact, I have a 78 day streak on Duolingo at the moment.

I should have the Duolingo Spanish tree done in a month or less. I signed up for a (free) class in May that will cover some more difficult Spanish, so I want to make sure that I'm ready for that. I'm becoming more confident with grammar forms that six months ago were still giving me difficulty, but there is still more to go.

Even though I knew quite a bit of German a long time ago, I seem to be more comfortable in Spanish at the moment. I'm not making a great deal of progress with that in Duolingo, but I am making a little progress.

UrduByOddballs
Diglot
PakistanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3480 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Urdu

Message 205 of 212
23 March 2015 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Lorren wrote:
I couldn't find the definition for "cajamarquina" though. I think it might be residents of a certain location in Peru, but I'm not entirely sure.

Creo que el lugar se llama Cajamarca — la forma masculina del adjetivo sería cajamarquino.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 

Message 206 of 212
27 March 2015 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Hallo! Ich lerne Deutch weniger als Spanisch, aber ich mag Deutch mehr. Heute ich sowohl praktiziert.

I'm ahead of the schedule that I've set for myself to finish the Spanish Duolingo "tree" by the end of April. It doesn't give me as much time for learning German at the moment, though.

I read an article about bats in National Geographic en Español. These particular bats drink nectar from flowers. I had to look up twelve words, including hibiscus, scarlet, thumb, pay off, and stinging.

It's strange to be at the point where I can read an entire article at a time. There was a point where a paragraph was all that I could master.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 

Message 207 of 212
02 May 2015 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Este semana, terminé mi arbol espana en Duolingo. Estoy ocupado con Duolingo, pero me gusta es.

I haven't been posting here too much because I've been so busy with Duolingo, but that's a good thing. I finished my Spanish for English speakers course, so now it's just a matter of keeping the tree gold.

Today I finished reading an article in National Geographic en Español. It's getting easier to read a whole article at once, although sometimes it's still hard to get all of the details. That's okay, it will continue to get easier. I had to look up 17 words, including words meaning wild, tenderness, advantageous, picturesquely, and crazed.

I spent a lot of days not doing Anki... I got really busy with Duolingo, and once you miss a day, it's easy to keep missing. Anyway, I started doing it again.

In addition to the German Duolingo course, I started doing the German for Spanish speakers course on Duolingo. It's a completely different challenge translating from Spanish to German and vice-versa. I've done a few skills so far. Sometimes I can translate straight, but other times I have to go through English first.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4195 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 

Message 208 of 212
10 May 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Glücklich Mutterstag!

I've decided to start learning another language. Maybe I'm crazy. Anyway, I inherited some books from my grandmother... I was reading one the other day, and I was inspired to learn Irish. I remember as a kid my grandmother learning Irish. Since they have Irish on Duolingo, I signed up.

When you haven't started a brand new language from scratch for a while, it's easy to forget how hard it is to start. For the first few skills, I was completely lost. Irish is unlike anything that I've ever studied before. The verb order is completely different. The words seem so different. It's even hard to figure out how to pronounce everything.

I practiced those first few skills extra. When I got to learning "Animals" though, it started to get easier. Some of the animal names are familiar, like cat or elifint. It's been a very long time since I first learned my very first language... German... but now that I'm over that very first hump, and I'm getting some of the translations right, I'm starting to thing "okay, I can learn this."

Will I ever be fluent in Irish? Maybe not. But I'm sure that I can get through the Irish tree on Duolingo and will be able to have simple conversations, and that might be enough for this language. Which will be cool.

I started my Spanish A2 class at the University of Salamanca. It's almost all in Spanish, and it's not that difficult. They use vosotros in the class, which, although it isn't really used in much Spanish near where I live, is good to know. It's kind of a boost to self-esteem to be able to understand the videos as I watch them.

I'm also working on German, slowly, with Duolingo. So at the moment, I'm kinda concentrating on three languages, which I'm at three different levels. When Russian gets on Duolingo, I'll be picking that up, but the Spanish class will be done, and I'll be farther down the German tree, so it still shouldn't be too much.

This discussion contains 212 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version