BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 344
14 April 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Nancy, thank you and by all means, please write away. I hope you had fun with your friend and I look forward to viewing your log!As far as the scriptorium, the time and slow pace(aka focus) is a plus for me. I am thinking from both sides of the fence. I see the English and think about how to say it in Spanish...I see the correct method in the book and try to figure out why. Then when I slowly write and say the words it forces me to really try and put it together. Although there were a few examples that gave me problems, I still learned a lot and feel like it is very beneficial.

Crush, thank you for all the time helping me with this. Your help is much appreciated by me and others here.

2)Va a faltarme dinero.
     AND
7) Os las voy a dar.

These were the two biggest question marks for me. 2) I was having trouble with who was doing the action. 7)The good news on this is that your explanation of "Se las voy a dar" makes sense to me now. The "SE" is going to be tricky for a while. But I will get it.

I think I am going to give the Vosotros a break in these exercises for while.

Thanks again!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 98 of 344
15 April 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Yeah, i wouldn't worry about the vosotros forms for now. It's nice to recognize them, but you don't have to worry about them that much as they're never used in the US/Latin America (unless a Spanish person is visiting). If you see a vosotros form, you can simply replace it with the "ustedes" form.

Just try to remember that "se" is actually "le" or "les". You can't have two l's together.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 99 of 344
21 April 2014 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
It is good to be back. I have spent the last week doing Scriptorium on Assimil. I am up to lesson 30. I am now listening to the first 25 lessons(CD1) and I still have difficulty listening to them without the book in front of me. But I carry on. Also, I have been doing some of the different Practice Makes Perfect Workbooks I bought. I enjoy them.

This past weekend I went to Used book stores in the city and found some REALLY interesting materials. My prized find was an old set of Living Language Spanish from 1981 with the cassettes. The outer box is worn. However, the contents of the box appear to have never been opened. The books and cassettes look as if they have never been touched. I found an even older set of the same course with the records.

Also, I found an incomplete set of a course called I.C.S. Method for the Study of Modern Languages. It was a very old 3 volume set but only Volume 1 and 3 were to be found. I wish I would have bought it now.

I found a hard copy edition of Italian from the FSI course dated 1947. It was in a hard case and the books were still pristine as never used. The pages still were stuck together. It looked like something that was issued to a new student attending the program. There were many other old Berlitz courses in various languages. I may go back and buy them. I did buy an old HUGO booklet that dealt with verb conjugation that I liked and also a course that the name escapes me right now that is for intermediate learners of Spanish. It was very enjoyable and I think I have found a new hobby. I think I will start a collection of learning materials for the next languages I would like to study (Russian, french, Japanese, etc).

There has been a bit of a hole in my day without HTLAL. I am glad it is back!

70 hours done
380 to go.

Edited by BOLIO on 22 April 2014 at 10:36pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 100 of 344
21 April 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
You are lucky to have found so much language learning material in the used bookstore. I used to bounce from one used bookstore to another looking for material and found it discouraging. You sound like you hit a jackpot... or a very large used bookstore.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 101 of 344
21 April 2014 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
James, I went to two unique bookstores...No Barnes and Noble here. I promise they are out of some novel themselves. They are ceiling to floor shelves with these catacombs of rooms. Both places looked relatively small from the outside but kept going and going once you were inside. One was an old house that had shelves in every hallway and room in the house. The second store I went to had a room full of German language guides and textbooks.

Edit to a previous post. It was I.C.S. not LCS. I did some research and they are the International Correspondence School out of Scranton, PA, USA. It was published in 1914 and I wish I would have bought them...I may go back.

The first bookstore gave me a little map that showed 17 used bookstores in the city. They are not affiliated with one another but do some co-advertising. I cannot wait to see what else I find.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 102 of 344
21 April 2014 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious what the FSI course was, none of the courses on fsi-language-courses.org are from that time period (they're all from the 80s and 90s i believe), and there's no Italian Basic Course available. It'd be interesting for something like that to pop up...

And it does sound like you've found quite the treasure cove of materials, anymore the only thing i ever look at in used book shops are the foreign language section(s), always hoping to find some sort of long-lost treasure. Maybe i should move a bit closer to you! ;)

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 103 of 344
21 April 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Crush, come on down.

It is just me and 5.62 million of your new closest friends. :)

We have plenty of people to talk to in Spanish and more Mandarin speakers than you could ever imagine. Cambodian, Vietnamese, Russian, Italian, German, French, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Korean, Hindi, Urdu, etc. According to the houstontx.gov website, "More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area". The oil business brings in many people from many parts of the world.

As far as the FSI course, I think it just said The Foreign Service Intitute Course for Italian. I should have taken a picture of it.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 104 of 344
22 April 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday did not go according to plan but most things don't. I was able to help a friend of mine last night, who is from Mexico and is scheduled to give a 5 minute speach in English. I helped him but, as always, I had a book in Spanish with me and he helped me as I read my book out loud. He helped me with the proper stresses and such and also helped me with a couple of the words that I did not know.

After my friend and I helped each other, I headed home. I said hello to the family and entered my study, I was scheduled to go thru my Scriptorium with Assimil. However, from my bookshelf, I hear this faint voice saying, "Look at me. Open me up and use me." It was the Living Language Beyond the Basics series I had bought a week or so ago. I did not want to be rude so I opened it and completed the first lesson. I REALLY liked it. The audio is much better than Assimil and I like the longer dialogue. The story is more complete and not as choppy as Assimil. Also I prefer the interlinear text vs the left page L2 and the right page L1. I do not know what the Beginner course sounds like as I have not opened it yet, but this course is really nice.

72/378

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version