BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 161 of 344
16 June 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Well, I had written the longest and most wonderful post about my travels to San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico but it was lost.

The trip was great. The people were friendly. My Spanish increased due to not being able to fall back on English. My family met this wonderful young woman who grew up in a Polish and Spanish speaking household. She learned English and French while growing up in Quebec. SHe moved to San Cristobal four years ago by herself at the age of only 21 years. SHe has spent the last four years learning the Mayan Tzotzil language. I asked her about learning languages and her approach. She said that she wants to take in as much information as possible. She does not worry about understanding the language. When she finds a new word, she will try to use it as much as a dozen times. She focuses on the written and oral equally in the beginning. She said if I relax, take in the input, speak what you know in the language and add newly known words as you go while surrounding yourself as much as possible with the sounds of the language...one day it will come together for you.

Another couple we met had a very interesting background. He was from Mexico, and she was from Germany. They both spoke Spanish, English, German and Low German. They learned the Low German while living in the state of Chihuahua Mexico where their work had them interacting with the Mennonite community there. He explained to me how limited the vocabulary was in Low German. I think he said the language had less than 20,000 words. This couple was not even thirty years old. His approach to learning languages was more Iversen like if you will. He attacked it through vocabulary and written and THEN tried to speak it. He told me that it does not matter how you get there (His wife learns languages just the opposite of him) but when you can think in the other language, even if only briefly, it is yours and you will build upon it.

Another new friend grew up in the States in a household that spoke French and Dutch. He learned English in school and he has a working knowledge of Spanish and he is increasing it daily. He and his wife have traveled through Mexico but settled on San Cristobal due to its weather, low cost of living, safety and the people. They are in their late 40's. As far as learning languages, he was able to have conversations in Spanish before ever taking the time to learn how to read the language.

The trip was the greatest I have ever had. My family fell in love with the city and the people. We met people from the US,Canada, Australia and New Zealand who chose to live in this wonderful city. The local people (Mexican and Indigenous) were warm and happy people that we want to see again as soon as possible. If you get the chance to visit there, do yourself a favor and go.

Next for my family is Querétaro and Guanajuato, Mexico in August. I cannot wait!

Edited by BOLIO on 16 June 2014 at 10:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 162 of 344
17 June 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
A little change to my study program. I am going back to finish Assimil over the next three weeks. Also, I am going to continue several auditory programs (including using the FSI audio while I exercise 1.5 hrs each day). My goal is to echo the audio programs while walking every day. Also, I am using Iversen's Bloodhound Listening technique for audio books that are too advanced for me right now. I will concentrate on the sounds/syllables/rhythm/etc of the language at normal speed. I will also resume my Democracy Now sessions at work.

I know I have said it before, but thanks to all of you who help us inexperienced ones with finding our way through this language process. I know I have a long way to go but I would not be as close to my goal as I am without all of your help here at HTLAL.

134/316

Edited by BOLIO on 17 June 2014 at 3:43pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 163 of 344
17 June 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
It's really exciting to read about how you're starting to feel more and more comfortable in Spanish. Soon enough you'll get through all the hurdles and will be left to stamp out the little issues here and there that still cause you problems. Personally i think that's the most frustrating part, but it's also really rewarding being able to use Spanish to learn Spanish.

As always, keep up the great work, Bolio!

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 164 of 344
18 June 2014 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Crush. I am feeling more comfortable but have a real awareness as to how far I have to go. I also realize that I am now to a point where immersion would be very beneficial as more and more words are being understood in conversation and not just "Noise". I cannot change my life with true immersion but will do what I can to be encompassed by Spanish.

I have regrets about not doing this 20 years ago. However, once I get to a high level of production with Spanish, the regrets will fade away.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 165 of 344
24 June 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Just stopping in... I am working along to finish Assimil. I should be done in two to three weeks. I am also listening to the audio courses while walking. I went back and listened to a few random episodes of Destinos and could tell a huge difference vs when I listened to them 3 or 4 months ago. It was so much easier to follow. I was really amazed.

I have not spent time on Lang8 yet. But, I will after completing Assimil. Democracy Now is still sounds like a Formula One race car in Spanish (no measured success there I am afraid). But, I enjoy listening to it while trying to play along. I have also continued with the "Bloodhound" listening to audio materials that are too advanced for me(No text to follow...only audio). I enjoy the process and hope it will be beneficial for me.

All the best

139/311

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 166 of 344
30 June 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
¡Buenos días!

Assimil... puedo ver el final del programa. ¡Por fin!
Creo que el programa es muy bueno. Pero, a veces, puede ser aburrido para mí. Lo recomiendo a la gente que quiere aprender a hablar español. Sin embargo, no me gusta el audio. El acento de los actores hace que me duelen los oídos. Yo prefiero los acentos de México, Colombia, Argentina y otros.

Estoy feliz de que está casi terminada. Ahora, voy a empezar FSI. Sé que va a ser difícil y largo. Pero, cuando lo termine, voy a hablar español mucho mejor de lo que hablo ahora.

Adiós y buenos estudios.

**** As always, Crush and others, please help with any corrections. Thanks for the help!******

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 167 of 344
30 June 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Tu escritura ha mejorado un montón desde la última vez que escribiste, ¡felicitaciones!

Aquí tengo algunas pequeñas correcciones, pero como ves son pocas y no interfieren con la comprensión:
"Lo recomiendo a la gente"
A mí me suena mejor o: "Se lo recomiendo a la gente" o "Lo recomiendo para la gente.."

"..hace que me duelen.."
Después de "hacer que" hay que emplear el subjuntivo, o sea: "hace que me duelan"

"Estoy feliz de que está..."
Aquí también hay que utilizar el subjuntivo: "Estoy feliz de que esté"

Personalmente creo que el acento es simplemente un gusto adquirido, cuando paso más tiempo con gente de la península los acentos ibéricos empiezan a serme más familiares. Ahora que estoy en EE.UU otra vez escucho sobre todo el acento mexicano y ya empieza a resultarme familiar de nuevo. Antes a mí tampoco me gustaban mucho los acentos de España (creo que era porque me rebelaba contra pronunciar "grassias" como "grathias" ;)). Ahora me suenan normales e incluso me gusta la variedad de los muchos acentos españoles. Aunque es cierto que sigo sin distinguir entre la 'z' y la 's'.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 168 of 344
01 July 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Gracias por las correcciones. Sé acento no es realmente importante. Es curioso que te gusta "CoraTHón" y "haTHer". Cuando escucho el audio de Assimil, estoy frustrado. Pero, no estoy preocupado, estoy casi terminando el programa. :)

Anoche, eschuché a lección de diez de FSI. Ellos hablan mucho rápido. Ha sido mucho tiempo desde que escuché el audio. Voy a escuchar y repetir cada lección diez veces ... o si me perfeccionarlo antes. Anoche, la segunda vez fue más fácil que el primero.

También, estoy escuchando a Living Language Beyond the Basics en mi coche. Me gusta mucho.

Gracias.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version