BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 105 of 196
11 April 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Nancy, that is great to hear about your Spanish conversation and Sunday will be exciting and motivating for you!

Thanks for the Scriptorium info. That sounds like it is right up my alley. I have been doing earlier versions of Assimil in the Active phase even though I have not completed the passive. But you are doing it from the other side of the fence. Concentrate on the English, focus on creating the Spanish, look at the correct Spanish and concentrate while you write it. ¡Me gusta!

Have fun with your studies and enjoy your friend!

Crush...un día, voy a ser como tu. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 106 of 196
12 April 2014 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
... has utilizado una terminación masculina.

Oops! so... estoy muy contenta y un poco nerviosa.

How would you convey excited? Like that you are looking forward to something with anticipation? Somehow, contenta seems a bit laid back for me... :-) You said that
I could also use feliz, and I guess that means more like happy, right? I think of it with greetings like feliz navidad or feliz cumpleanos, but it could also be a
state of being.

Crush wrote:
¡Que te diviertas!

¡Gracias! y además, gracias otra vez por tú ayuda.

Edited by nancydowns on 12 April 2014 at 3:37am

1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 107 of 196
12 April 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

Sorry it took me this long to reply. :)

oh, no problem! I guess I am totally getting ahead of myself, since I'm actually not quite halfway through this book. But nice to think ahead. So I
am wondering if the second book might not be a good idea, since you are going for another step in Madinah. By DLI do you mean the stuff on the GLOSS
site? I guess I got so burned out by the FSI MWA that I can hardly think about going back to it, but maybe I'll feel differently once I am through
this book. Maybe it will be a challenge then, instead of a discouragement!

When I get back from this trip and have a little time to sit down and get things organized, I'll post more about what I have been learning in Arabic and maybe
some more handwriting. I wonder when we will feel comfortable enough to progress onto books with no vowels? Before that, I am wondering if I should find some
kids books with vowels for later. But I am still a bit confused about how to look things up in the dictionary, so if you had a new word introduced in those books,
it would be hard to find the meaning! I haven't learned yet about the three letter roots, although I know from Maha that they exist.

It's so nice to know there are others working on Arabic, and nice even to know that you are working on two at the same time, as I am. Thanks for your encouragement!
Hope your studies are going well.

Edited by nancydowns on 12 April 2014 at 3:52am

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 108 of 196
12 April 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Bolio, I plan on doing an active phase in Assimil when the time comes. So I guess I am doing three phases. But I am not doing the multiple reviews of
lessons that I hear of others doing... not sure what is best, but for me, I love the scriptorium, so it makes me want to review the lessons. But if I was
just reviewing them in basically the same way I went through them the first time, I'm not sure I would do it. Something about the physicality of the
writing is just so wonderful for me. It is both relaxing and mentally stimulating. Because I have seen it before, I can kind of relax because it's not
new information, and I know I will be going over it again in the Active Phase. So it's almost like a sigh of relief when I sit down to do Scriptorium.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 109 of 196
14 April 2014 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
How would you convey excited? Like that you are looking forward to something with anticipation? Somehow, contenta seems a bit laid back for me... :-)
Contenta to me seems pretty much like i'd use happy (i'm happy to be here, i'm happy to see you, etc.). If you want to convey that you are excited, you can say "estoy emocionada/o". There's also "excitada/o", but i tend to avoid it (at least when i'm talking about being excited ;) ) as it has another connotation (you might want to check the dictionary for that one) and i'm not really sure how much they overlap. I use emocionado for "excited" and excitado for that other meaning.

Another thing you might say is "estoy ansiosa/o por verte", "I'm excited/eager to see you". There's also a slight shade in difference in "estoy emocionada de verte" and "estoy emocionada por verte". In the first (emocionada de verte), you've seen the person already and are excited to be there with them. In the second (emocionada por verte), you haven't seen the person yet and are looking forward to it. I believe in English we'd use the same phrase (I'm excited to see you) in both situations. There will be a few instances where "por" will be used to talk about something that is going to happen (algo que está por pasar).

EDIT: And just to add something to the above, if the subject of the second verb (ansiosa por VERte) is different from the first, you will use "por que + subjuntivo". In "estoy ansiosa por verte", the person who is "anxious" and "seeing you" is the same. However, if you wanted to same "I'm excited for you to arrive", I am excited, but YOU are arriving, so: "Estoy ansiosa por que llegues" (note that it's llegues, the present subjunctive, and not llegas, the present indicative). You'll see that pattern pop up in a lot of different places, for example: Está contento de que estés aquí (vs. Está contento de estar aquí: He is here and he is happy because he is here). I hope that clears things up some rather than make them more confusing! I'm pretty sure FSI will cover all these things in detail if Assimil hasn't already, i just thought it was worth a mention.

Edited by Crush on 14 April 2014 at 3:34am

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 110 of 196
14 April 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, things sometimes don't turn out exactly as you hope! :-) I did get to see my friend from Panama, but not for as long as I was
hoping! But I did get to ask her a few questions, and she helped me out a lot with those things. She is used to teaching high schoolers, and so
she was shocked at the tenses I already know. She looked at my Assimil book and said they are teaching very advanced Spanish... and I am only partway through!

She helped me understand the verb gustar and also taught me about the shoe verbs and the yo verbs. I was showing her the chart in the back of the
book about spelling change and stem changing verbs. I am sure those things would help the kids to remember, and me too!

Our time was mostly taken up with her showing me things on paper, instead of speaking Spanish, but I did say a few things. She couldn't
specifically help me on any pronunciation issues, but she did understand everything I said, so maybe my accent is at least understandable!

But I found out there will be another opportunity to speak Spanish coming up next Monday evening. This won't be an opportunity to ask Spanish
questions but to try to speak to people. We will have someone who will translate for us, but I am going to try to say as much as I possibly can.
These people speak extremely quickly. I really can't understand a single thing they say, but the last time I saw them was October, so maybe by
now I can understand a bit... we'll see!

I'll post my weekly update later. Thanks for all of your comments and encouragement!

Edited by nancydowns on 14 April 2014 at 11:50pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 111 of 196
14 April 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm pretty sure FSI will cover all these things in detail if Assimil hasn't already

Gracias, Crush. Creo que este es una problema de me. Trato de escribir cosas que no entiendo bien. Necesito esperar hasta los aprendo. Sin embargo, cuando
me ayudas, le recuerdo mejor.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 112 of 196
14 April 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone used Spanishpodcast? I know it is over my head for now, but they have the transcripts for their podcasts, and there's like 193 of
them! I just wonder if that might be a good progression after Assimil and FSI.

Edited by nancydowns on 15 April 2014 at 12:55am

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version