Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 113 of 196
15 April 2014 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Yo no los escuché hasta tener un nivel más o menos avanzado de castellano, así que todos me parecieron bastante simples (y me molestaba un poco el que el locutor inglés cometiera tantos errores). Si te parecen interesantes no veo por qué no, pero creo que cuando acabes esos dos cursos te parecerán bastante simples. Tal vez podrías sacar algún provecho de los podcasts avanzados, los otros tienen demasiado inglés para mi gusto.

Y creo que está bien intentar emplear cosas que no entiendes del todo todavía, así cometiendo errores (¡o no!) se aprende. Sólo he escrito "escribido" una sola vez (que yo sepa al menos ;) ) por la vergüenza de haberme equivocado en algo que recién había estudiado.

Y ahora, algunas sugerencias:
"Creo que este es una problema de me."
-yo diría "esto" en vez de "este". Este significa más "this one", se usa cuando ya sabes de que estás hablando (y es masculino).
-problema es masculino. Muchas palabras terminadas en -ema son masculinas, son palabras griegas (tema, esquema, problema, sistema etc.) Otras palabras griegas que terminan en -a también son masculinas, por ejemplo idioma, planeta, mapa, y varias otras.

"Necesito esperar hasta los aprendo."
-tienes dos opciones: "esperar hasta aprenderlos" y "esperar hasta que los aprenda." Yo diría que la segunda forma es más natural aquí, ya que la primera forma me parece que vas a esperar y así aprenderlos, es decir, que esperar será tu método de aprendizaje. Si no vas a utilizar un infinitivo después de hasta, tendrás que ponerle un "que" (con el verbo en subjuntivo).

"Sin embargo, cuando me ayudas, le recuerdo mejor."
-Has escrito que "I remind him/her/you better", debería de ser "lo recuerdo mejor" ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 114 of 196
15 April 2014 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Still traveling for another week, so my studying is still quite low... hope to make up for it later.

SPANISH Total Hours: 43 (last week 5)

Assimil: First Wave Lesson 41 - scriptorium Lesson 25
FSI: Unit 19 Scriptorium Unit 7
Pimsleur III: Unit 20
Coffee Break Spanish: Lesson 42
Notes in Spanish: Lesson 9
Destinos: episode 37

ARABIC Total Hours: 24.5 (last week 2)

Mastering Arabic: Chapter 9

I was glad for a little visit with a friend from Panama. She is a high school Spanish teacher, so she had some little tricks to teach me. It was nice
to get a little chance to use some Spanish. I didn't actually speak a whole lot, but did get to learn some things from her. I found out today that we
will be meeting with some people from Mexico next Monday. Earlier, I thought it had been October that we last saw them, but found out it was actually
the first part of December. I said a few things in Spanish then, and I am hoping I will be able to say even more now. These people speak extremely
fast, and I can never understand a thing they say! So we are glad for our interpreter! Hope some day to be able to go without an interpreter! Feels
like that won't ever happen! :-) But I am being patient! Just a daily effort and time will bring about some amazing things.

I am slowly working through Chapter 9 of Mastering Arabic. I will be really anxious for some quiet days after this week to just dedicate some time to
Arabic. I am trying to continue a little each day so I don't get out of the habit.

I don't mean to be putting so much more time into Spanish, but somehow, it feels like if I can get my Spanish level up, then maybe I can dedicate more
of my study time to Arabic.   

How do you split up your time between languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 115 of 196
15 April 2014 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Crush. I am not even going to attempt to write in Spanish tonight because I am so tired and I already made enough mistakes
for one day! :-) You help a lot and give lots of information, and I really appreciate it!

I think Spanishpodcast.org is all in Spanish, except for a little English introduction... at least I think. I have scrolled through a
transcript, and it is all in Spanish, except just at the very beginning, so I am just assuming that the podcast is all in Spanish.

Here's the link to their website. They have the full transcripts, also.

Edited by nancydowns on 15 April 2014 at 5:13am

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 116 of 196
21 April 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Nancy I was writing a very detailed post on this log of yours when the site crashed last week. It could have been my fault. :)

Crush, tengo una pregunta para usted. Dijiste que;

-tienes dos opciones: "esperar hasta aprenderlos" y "esperar hasta que los aprenda." Por qué no "esperar hasta que los aprendo"????? Nancy lo estás haciendo(aprender). Gracias.

Edited by BOLIO on 29 April 2014 at 4:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 117 of 196
21 April 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
... because it is in the subjunctive. You are waiting until something happens in the future so the future thing is not fulfilled and, therefore, takes the subjunctive. You don't need to use the subjunctive in the first example because you are just tacking the los onto the infinitive.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 118 of 196
22 April 2014 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I am finally getting around to posting! Nice to read your question Bolio and your explanation, James! It is amazing how much it helps to
be able to as specific questions. You and Crush are a big help to us newbies! :-)

Last night, I got to participate in a little meeting with some folks from Mexico. It was really great to be there again and to feel more in
touch with what was going on. One of them said that when I first came, I didn't understand anything, and they could see a big improvement
last night. I did try to enter into casual conversation, but for the more formal part, I let the interpreter do her work. That way, they
could focus on what was being said, rather than how it was being said! :-) But as I listened to her and to the others, I felt more able to
follow along. But one man in particular is so difficult to understand, so I would get words, but definitely not the gist of what he was
saying!

I do feel like these past few months have made a huge difference! I haven't been able to speed ahead because I can't dedicate long hours
each day to studying, but I am trying to take advantage of the time I do have. The next three days are going to be fairly open for me, so I
am hoping to put in a lot of hours of studying for three days and see how far I can get! poquito a poquito.

I will post my weekly update later today.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 119 of 196
23 April 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Finally done traveling for a few weeks! I have had a couple of days with extra time this week, so I have been able to work quite a bit on my languages, and I
should have still extra time tomorrow and Friday... back to regular next week! So I have been trying to make the most of my time this week.

SPANISH Total Hours: 53 (last week 10)

Assimil: First Wave Lesson 55 - Second Wave Lesson 5 Scriptorium Lesson 40
FSI: Unit 23 Scriptorium Unit 15
Pimsleur III: Unit 25
Coffee Break Spanish: Lesson 42
Notes in Spanish: Lesson 9
Destinos: episode 37

ARABIC Total Hours: 30 (last week 5.5)

Mastering Arabic: Chapter 11

Monday, I got to practice speaking Spanish a little bit. I still have SOOO far to go! I need to find a practice partner for regular practice because my
reading skills are far outstripping my speaking skills! I could understand some of what was said, but when they started telling long stories, I got
completely lost, and it mostly was because of a lack of vocabulary. Words that they used that I didn't know left big holes in my comprehension, so I
completely missed the gist of what they were saying. But they saw a big improvement over the last time I was there, so I guess that was an encouragement.

I finally got some time today to devote a lot of time to my Arabic. I have learned about using the lam for possession, the accusitive case, and how to say
what nationality a person is, and how to count things! So I am happy with a bit more progress in Arabic this week! I am not getting the vocab very well, so
I am going to try to write my vocab more, maybe make up sentences using the vocab even from earlier chapters and see if that helps it stick. I looked ahead,
and next chapter teaches about broken plurals and finally, the three letter roots! And then the next chapter teaches about past tense! YAY! I haven't
figured out how to type in Arabic yet. I like handwriting, so I haven't felt a need to type yet. However, on lang 8, I have a huge list of Arabic friends
now. I try to correct some of their journals to keep them hanging around for when I need them later.

Speaking of Lang 8, I liked Emk's suggestion of writing 100 things as a way to improve a language. So I think I am going to set myself a goal of writing two
journals in Spanish per week until September, and maybe by then I will be at a point where I can try to write something nearly every day, until I reach 100.

Thanks again to everyone who reads and comments. It's a big help to know that there are others who have been where I am right now, and they are now at a very
high level. Also nice to share the experience with others at about the same level and to know there are also others who are plugging along each day fighting
to get a little higher in their learning!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 120 of 196
30 April 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Hola Nancy, sólo quería pasar por aquí para ver qué tal te van tus estudios. ¡Espero que no nos hayas dejado y que tampoco pienses dejarnos sin ningún comentario acerca de ese tiempito libre que tuviste la semana pasada!

Y no sé si ya te lo han recomendado o no, pero el sitio web "lang-8" sería un lugar perfecto para colgar tus textos (tus entradas de diario) para que te los corrijan nativxs del castellano. Y no tengas vergüenza, escribe algo aquí de vez en cuando en castellano también :)

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version