28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 25
05 January 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
My Progress between January 1 and January 4

American Sign Language
I have done no formal studying with my ASL this week. However, today I realized I have
been doing informal study. Since my tonsilletomy on Dec. 31, I have not been able to
talk. My husband only knows a few signs of ASL. Our communication has been mostly
gestures and facial expressions. This is actually great practice. Not all Deaf people
are fluent in ASL, especially here in San Diego which has a large population of
immigrant Deaf (not only from Mexico but from Asian and Africa as well). To
communicate with "High Visual Oriented" clients, topics may need to be broken down into
using gestures and grammar from facial expressions.   In essence, my recovery has
helped me in ASL. I have another week before I will be able to talk, so let's see how
this improves.

Spanish
I'm still reviewing the reference materials, so I do not yet have a plan of attack.
The FSI materials are interesting, so I may start there. I have also written an entry
in Lang-8 each night except yesterday. I need to push through the pain and write a bit
each day before I go to bed.

Japanese
On Memrise, I am working through the "Introduction to Japanese" course. On the first
lesson, I have planted and harvested the first eight words. I'm learning of so many
other materials, I don't know where else to start! Should I combine Genki with
Memrise? Should I try to burn through the JapanesePod101 lessons before the trail week
runs out? I am sorely lacking a plan of action. The plans that some of the other TAC
participants have put together sound great, and hopefully I can do so as well.

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6459 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 25
05 January 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I think it's possible to download the lessons from Jpod, so you could spend the week downloading like crazy and then listen later.

I haven't used introductory materials for Japanese for a while, and I'm not familiar with those you're using, but in general, I like to use more than one course at once. It gives me different perspectives and explanations, and they serve as reviews to each other.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5821 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 25
05 January 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I would get started on Genki as this will introduce you to both basic grammar and the writing system in a fairly systematic way. How is your kana at the moment? Will you be learning that from scratch or do you already know it?

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4185 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 12 of 25
05 January 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I would get started on Genki as this will introduce you to both basic
grammar and the writing system in a fairly systematic way. How is your kana at the
moment? Will you be learning that from scratch or do you already know it?

Pretty close to scratch. Visual mnemonics work well for me (the cute ones in Memrise for
the Intro to Japanese course are helpful!) so I need to find and use ones to help me get
going on the kana.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5821 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 13 of 25
05 January 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
The thing I liked most about Genki was the way that the first two chapters have all the text in both romanised form and kana. This gives you plenty of time to get used to kana, using whatever methods suit you best, before switching over to using kana only for the rest of the book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4185 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 14 of 25
06 January 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Log for January 5

American Sign Language
No formal practice today. Visited friends again ... tried to use work on facial
grammar and gestures again but to no avail. They preferred that I write everything
out.

Spanish
I reviewed a lot of corrections from my Lang-8 entry* yesterday. Some corrections were
suggestions to help my writing sound more natural. Other corrections were simple
gender agreement and verb conjugation mistakes I should not have made. I wonder if
writing at night (right before bed) leads me to make more mistakes. To test this, I
will start writing entries in the morning.

* Entry link: http://lang-
8.com/524978/journals/28485757997255736543157466117423885845 1/El-dolor-de-cabeza-
%25C2%25BFqu%25C3%25A9-es-la-raz%25C3%25B3n%253F

Japanese
In the "Introduction to Japanese" course on Memrise, I have completed the first lesson
and started the second lesson. Eight more words to learn.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6459 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 15 of 25
06 January 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I definitely have more mistakes if I write too late at night, even in English. I also try to write my entry in Word and then let it sit for a few hours and check it again to see if I find any new mistakes before I paste it in lang-8 and post it.

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4185 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 16 of 25
10 January 2013 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Log for January 6 - January 9

American Sign Language
No update. I've decided to focus on Japanese and Spanish until I return to work next
week.

Spanish
I realized I hadn't checked out the Spanish section of Memrise. I just assumed it
would be full of courses for beginners. Wrong! There are so many courses with
vocabulary for intermediate and advanced learners of Spanish. I have marked several
courses I want to use for study. I'm debating whether to study both the medical
terminology course and the law enforcement terminology course first or to undergo the
Intermediate Spanish series of courses. The former would be applicable for work which
is nice, but they are short courses. That might be best actually. I think I'll start
there.

Aside from that, I've written more entries in Lang-8. I also saw a movie trailer for
the Lord of the Rings in Spanish. It was so well done that I want to find the movies
and watch them in Spanish!

Japanese
I'm continuing to work through two courses on Memrise in the Japanese area. In the
Introduction to Japanese course, I'm partway through the third lesson. This lesson has
a few longer words so I think it will be more difficult. I'm also working through the
hiragana course, partway through the lesson on K & G syllables. Once I learn the
kanas, I want to practice writing the words I'm learning.

Edited by fmmarianicolon on 10 January 2013 at 7:05pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version