Joined 6318 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 107
06 January 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
BobbyE wrote:
thanks Eric, I'll keep that in mind. What do you think is the most important thing to
focus on in the passive phase?

I would both read the dialogs on their own and listen to them many times. Eventually it became counterproductive because I was understanding the audio because I had memorized it not because I was comprehending it. I probably should have moved on to something else a little bit earlier than I did.
1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 18 of 107
07 January 2012 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
That was my error with platiquemos and that's why my listening in Spanish is horrible.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 19 of 107
11 January 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Started Mandarin today. For first term, we are only covering the first 5 chapters of
Integrated Chinese (IC). This means that over the next 2 and half months, we'll learn a
grand total of around 180 words, give or take depending on teacher discretion. I start
the active wave of Assimil on Sunday, so that means by that the end of this term I'll be
around lesson 60 of the Active Phase, and completely done with the Passive Phase and
therefor at least familiar with 1,500 words. I actually already know at least half of
the words, in the class. The ones I don't know are for special hobbies, and words like
"Coca Cola". I'm stoked though, the class is semi-immersion, I have access to a native
speaker (my teacher), she's awesome, and I'll be learning traditional characters.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 20 of 107
14 January 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I start lesson 50 passive wave (PW from now on), and lesson 1 active wave (AW) today.
I'm stoked.

The other day I was in the quiet room of my library studying Chinese when an Asian girl
caught my eye outside in the regular library space. She sat down at a desk to study,
but I could have sworn that she chuckled a little bit and my fears and self-conscious
assured me that she could hear my butchering of Chinese. Naturally, on my way out I
stopped by to ask her if she could hear me. She said no, but had a hard time
understanding my English. I proceeded to ask her what her first language was, and the
roof opened up and the skies parted to shine a beam of light down onto her the moment
that she uttered the sound "Mandarin". I told her that I studied, but she wasn't
completely understanding me, so I swallowed my English and started speaking in
Mandarin. I told her I started studying last month, but I only know very little. She
was really impressed, but was only speaking to me in English. She could understand me.
Her friend showed up around this time, and with excitement she told the new girl "He's
only been learning Chinese for 1 month!", her friend asked me what I know, so I said
something. They said that my pronunciation is excellent, and they understood
everything I said. It was a confidence booster. They offered to help me and we
exchanged facebook info, they offered to introduce me to more Chinese/Taiwanese people.
I'm stoked!

edit: I was an overconfident d-bag 3 years ago.

Edited by BobbyE on 25 October 2014 at 7:06pm

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 21 of 107
27 January 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
AP - Lesson 62, PP - Lesson 13. I'm moving right along doing a lesson a day. So far,
I've aced both of my Mandarin tests at school, thanks to my previous work with Assimil.
My pronunciation is comparatively better than my peers, which I'm happy about since I
have been putting in a lot of work. 62 days into Assimil, basically 90 more to go. The
AP, I think, is definitely doing what it is supposed to be doing... activating my passive
vocab. It is still too premature to say exactly how my progress is, since I've only done
13 lessons AP. I think the important thing is that Assimil hasn't gotten boring for me,
I continue to be excited about my lessons everyday.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 107
27 January 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Keep up the good work.
I haven't got Assimil and use Pimsleur but what do you recommend to Improve my pronunciation?

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 23 of 107
28 January 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Jay, I HIGHLY recommend SinoSplice. The pronunciation guide their has helped my
pronunciation immensely, the guide on SinoSplice is 100 times better than Assimil for the
more difficult consonant sounds.chinese/pronunciation-of-mandarin-chinese">SinoSplice

Edited by BobbyE on 28 January 2012 at 11:01am

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 24 of 107
28 January 2012 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Hey thanks for that. Will check it out. Do you use Anki or anything similar? Im just wondering, when you find a sentence or phrase in pinyin, what do you use to see what it means in both English or characters?

The dictionaries only seem to do one word. I want to paste in a sentence and see.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version