134 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 16 17 Next >>
kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 5162 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 97 of 134
30 March 2015 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
It means: I've been smoking for the night AND NOW I'm waiting for the terminal station (to arrival). So it is not the end of the night or something like that, you know. It's two different things: all the night AND the terminal station (the end point of his travel by train).

Edited by kraft on 30 March 2015 at 10:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4783 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 98 of 134
09 April 2015 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

thanks for your March Challenges. I haven't thought of an April Challenge yet, as I'm taking a break from language studies at the moment. I haven't been very active on HTLAL either, I think I might need a little break from it as well.

Be that as it may, I don't want to abandon the team, so here I am. I thought of two possible challenges for April:

1) Describe your daily routine in Russian! (Thanks go to Team Sleipnir, where I got that idea.)

or

2) Do 100 things in Russian (either learn 100 words, or read 100 pages, or study for 100 hours, or...)! (Thanks to Team 東亜 for this one!)

Which one would you prefer?

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3610 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 99 of 134
09 April 2015 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
I am not sure whether the monthly tasks are designed to be output-only challenges or
not. Anyway, I agree with the idea with output only (or mostly output) as there’s
already the SC for those interested in totally passive tasks. So, I would go with number
1 as I haven’t written about my daily routine in Russian yet.

If our members here choose number 2, I’d still focus on my output challenges as I am
already focusing on passive skills on my weekdays. I am willing to keep writing in
Russian. So, either 1 or 2, I will do something related to output challenge.

Well, since the Captain wants some break, why don't we pick up number 1 in April and 2 in
May or vice-versa?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4578 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 100 of 134
09 April 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you back Josquin, even if your on a break. I've been missing you, and other team members as well by the way, the activity level has been rather low here over the last few weeks.

I also prefer task 1, I need a bit of pressure to produce more output in Russian, not least writing, so I am all for that. I find task 2 a bit too vague, do you have to do 100 of the same thing or can you combine stuff, e.g. learn 20 new verbs, read 30 newspaper articles, do 10 grammar exercises, write 10 short texts etc. etc.?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6536 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 101 of 134
11 April 2015 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
That just leads me to ask a different question entirely: what's the difference between стараться/пытаться? I know they both mean to try or to attempt, but I have the feeling the second is often a slightly higher register word. There's also (по)пробовать but that's used in slightly different contexts, as in "try this piece of food, try eating this, try going over there). Not in the "trying hard to accomplish something" sense.

I never replied.... to me the difference doesn't have much to do with the register. And I wouldn't say that (по)пробовать is all that different. For me there's just a sliding scale here: пробовать-стараться-пытаться, where пробовать is gentle or possibly lazy and пытаться refers to the hardest effort or the most fruitless attempts. I immediately connect it to the word пытка (torture), although I'm not sure it's that obvious to non-linguists. IMO, it can be discouraging easily, or perhaps challenging/trolling. And it can be over-dramatic when describing your own effort, although not always.

To me there are also some vague semantic differences:
-(по)пробовать in this meaning generally implies trying a specific alternative or even several options; or that this isn't very important and it's fine if you don't succeed
-in the past:
--я постарался/постаралась implies diligence and your best effort, likely satisfaction with your work or an implication that you're already done what was expected of you or what you consider your duty.
--я попытался/попыталась implies admitting failure or at the very least showing a high level of insecurity about what you did. it may imply that you lacked the right tools or time or that you'd warned from the beginning that you could't promise a perfect/complete result.
-the imperfective forms are more similar in the past and all imply failure or dissatisfaction (пытаться implies more effort and hence more frustration, whereas пробовать imo implies that you don't regret it because it was fun or at least not too bad)
-in the present/future:
--я пытаюсь implies more effort than я стараюсь, or more hopeless effort
--я постараюсь generally sounds like a promise and implies confidence, assuming that only unexpected external factors can prevent you. я буду стараться is the normal imperfective equivalent
--я попытаюсь can imply that luck will be needed or, again, that you can't promise anything and don't approve of the idea. я буду пытаться sounds strange and/or masochistic, or hints that you're all "wtf" about the demand
-basically, to me (по)пытаться is simply more specific or emotionally charged. but this also makes it perfect for ironic or colloquial use.

However, that's how I interpret them, especially in a work context (or пытаться in an action movie context, heh)*. I love language, words and precision. Another native speaker may well disagree with these distinctions or just not consider them important, for example because your intonation may make a huge difference. (and I struggle with my intonation a lot, even in Russian or English. maybe less in Finnish because I enjoy it so much)
*I didn't deliberately stick to these contexts, these were just my immediate associations. I'd say it's also reasonably similar between friends, especially if you're asking for a service. but of course with a boss you say what they like to hear, with a friend you ideally accept each other's quirks.

Edited by Serpent on 11 April 2015 at 4:47am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5273 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 102 of 134
11 April 2015 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
I have not gotten around to do the March challenge yet, can I have an extended dead line until tomorrow?

And like Ogrim, I prefer the 1st task for April challenge :-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4783 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 103 of 134
11 April 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so here's the April Challenge:

Describe your daily routine in Russian! Just choose a normal working day and tell us how you normally spend your time. Go into as much detail as you can!

Have fun!

@Cristina: Okay, you can hand in your March Challenge until tomorrow.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4783 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 104 of 134
14 May 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

what are you doing? Where is everybody? I know it's May and that's about the time when TAC teams start falling apart, but we should make an effort and stay together. I know I haven't been a model of activity on HTLAL myself, but there are reasons for that. You can read about them in my log. Let's just say I'm reevaluating a lot of things at the moment.

Nieng Zhonghan was the only person to complete the April Challenge, so I extend it till the end of May.

Once again, please give us your daily routine in Russian! I'll try to complete the challenge myself this time as well. :)

Keep going, folks! Удачи!

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version