nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 81 of 344
05 April 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I posted this on my log, but I realized that it was your log where we were talking about books to read... funny, it's like your log is my second home! :-)

Bolio, los libros que tengo son 'Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate', 'la telaraña de Carlota', 'Las aventuras de Alicia en el país de las
maravillas', y 'Despereaux'.

Creo que aprendiendo las lenguas es un buen pretexto a leer los libros para niños. :-)

Un día voy a leer libros escritos en español, especialmente 'Don Quixote.' He leido cuentos de Julio Cortazar tradujo al Inglés, y me gusta
los mucho.

Tú y yo nos somos en el mismo nivel. Tú vas a viajar a Mexíco pronto, y vas a aprendiendo mucho más que yo en el mismo tiempo. Pero cómo
Crush, James29, y otras personas, continuamos y aprendemos.

(the books I have are "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, CHarlotte's Web, The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, and Despereaux.

I think learning languages is a good excuse to read kids books! :-)

one day, I am going to read books written in Spanish, especially Don Quixote. I have read some stories by Julio Cortazar translated into English, and I
liked them very much.

You and I are on the same level. You will soon travel to Mexico, and you are going to learn a lot more than me in that time. But like Crush, James29, and
others, we continue, and we learn!)

Edited by nancydowns on 05 April 2014 at 4:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 82 of 344
07 April 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Nancy, Me gusta el libro de Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate, y creo que sería perfecto. 'Las aventuras de Alicia en el país de las maravillas'= Alice in Wonderland? Yo no creo que traducir el título esa forma.

No mi amiga, no nos somos en el mismo nivel. Su nivel, No puedo verlo desde aquí. :)

This weekend was kind of a slow Spanish weekend. My family has been sick and I was not able to focus while studying. I spent several hours finishing up Michel Thomas and really like the little tricks to help you remember tenses. For example, above, I used the word "sería". He tells you to remember the WOULD form of the verb as going into the woods and you will find a female river. Río becomes -ría. If you see or use a verb in the WOULD tense you throw the -ría on the end of it. Little things like that.

Sunday I was able to speak Spanish with the wait staff at the restaurant and also two friends that came with us are native Spanish speakers. One told my wife in Spanish how much I was improving. Actually she said she was amazed how much my tongue had loosened up. :) Her son asked me if I understood what she said. I told him that it sounded like she was referring to my tongue working better. He laughed and said "Yes!" He also said that he could tell when they were all talking that I was getting more of the conversation than I had been getting just 2 or 3 months ago. It was good times with good friends even though my wife and I were not feeling at our best.

This week I am shooting for 3 hours a day for every day but Tuesday. That day is difficult for me due to my schedule. More Assimil, More FSI, more wordlists and more listening.

47 hour done
403 to go
2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 83 of 344
08 April 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Slow day in Spanish. I was sick as a dog. I had a high fever and although I was home half a day, all I did was listen to MTs vocabulary CD. It was made after his death and uses one of his employees. It is easier on the ears and has the same energy but with one difference. There are no students, only two native speakers, with the employee, who have different accents. One accent is of Spain and one is of Latin America. I am thinking of ordering the Intermediate and advanced in MT to add to my resources.

I am still sick today but had some things I HAD to do here at work before going home early. I will knock out some studying today. It could be a day to try true L-R. I have a book I could do it with (Well, a pdf in both languages and audio). I may do that for a few hours if I can keep up my concentration. If not, Assimil has this day to itself. Either way, all the best to everyone today and their studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 84 of 344
09 April 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Well, my sickness seems to be leaving me. Yesterday was good but not as great as I expected. I tried doing L-R but could not give it my complete concentration. I was able to get 3 hours of study completed.

I completed 535 words in ANKI. 95 words of the 535 I either did not know or had learned and could not immediately recall. So, they went to Iversen's wordlist. I worked the wordlist and then was able to Listen to a combination of MT and Assimil. I did zero active on Assimil which was a deviation from my original plan. Oh well, it was good work just the same and not a waste of time. Looking back at it, it was quite relaxing. I think taking the words from native materials is more taxing than getting them from ANKI. It feels less mechanical(I like mechanical) but the mental exercise of relaying the words to the context of the story is missing when using ANKI. It feels easier but is it less productive? Maybe. But the way I felt yesterday, it was just what the doctor ordered.

50hours done
400 to go.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 85 of 344
09 April 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I enjoyed getting a large vocabulary base first and then reading a lot later to provide the context. At first i wasn't exactly sure how to use the words, but through reading and talking with other people i gradually filled that out, and it felt much less stressful than reading and not understanding.

I think whichever way feels best to you is the way to go. If you enjoy the more "mechanical" way, then go for that. You should also check out some of emk's flashcard ideas, they have a lot of interesting things using full sentences from native materials to study words (and rapidly deleting boring sentences or things you just hate seeing, for example words you always get wrong).

Another flashcard idea that i came across and have been meaning to try is this:
http://jeffben.com/mcbs/

edward5797
United States
Joined 4647 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 86 of 344
10 April 2014 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Bolio, it's great to see that you are feeling better. I shall remember your work ethic anytime I am not feeling well.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4602 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 87 of 344
10 April 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Crush, Thanks for the info. I am still finding my way. I don't know if I truly like being Mechanical or if I must feel pain or discomfort in order to feel a sense of accomplishment. :) I don't know. However, the reading of native materials is really just an exercise for me to find more unknown words. I am not so sure that getting them from an ANKI list or a dictionary would not work even quicker. Using a book makes it a little more interesting but it may be a slower process.

Edward, thanks for stopping by and I look forward to following your journey as well.

Yesterday was a bit of a slow day. Life seemed to get in the way. I did manage one hour of MT and one hour of Assimil. I did get to speak to a friend and I used the word Neumática for tire (Necesito a poner aire en mi neumática). He looked at me like I had two heads. He asks me in English, "What are you trying to say?" He said "I have spoken Spanish for 48 years and I have never heard that word used for tires." He is the second native speaker to tell me that "llantas" is the correct word. Maybe it is just a regional word for us in this part of the states?

Today is going to be another hard day for Spanish. I have a presentation for work this evening and it is really taking up much of my time. I have my Assimil book with me. I may knock out a couple of Active lessons during lunch or when I can get away. I have neglected my little Owl friend on Duolingo for so long that he doesn't even send me text anymore. I can steal a few minutes with him to day as well.

All the Best,

52/398

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3866 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 88 of 344
11 April 2014 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Man! A bad day is two hours of Spanish? That's a good day for me! :-) Sorry you've been sick, hard to concentrate when you don't feel well! Great that
you are feeling confident to speak Spanish.

Interesting about regional terms, isn't it? When I first moved to the South from the Mountain West, I heard people talking about toboggans, and I knew
they meant it as a piece of clothing!!! To us, a toboggan was a type of sled. Found out it was a stocking cap! If they came to where I am from and
called it that, people would look at them like they had two heads!

Keep up the good work! :-) I say do what makes you happy and helps you to keep going with your studies. I am the type of person who likes to work
towards a goal, so I have the books ready that I want to read, but I am going to make it through Assimil and FSI first. I set it up this way because I
know myself too well, and I end up getting distracted and maybe discouraged and quit. So this time, I want to make it through the courses, finally, and I
know that if I start on something else, I won't make it back to them. I'm a bit flighty, so I have to think up ways to force myself to accomplish
something! :-)

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version