Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Nikolic993’s: IT,RO,中文 log. (Team César)

Tags: Romanian | Italian | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 25 of 37
18 March 2015 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Italian:
Assimil - Italian With Ease PW:64/105 AW: 8/105
Colloquial Italian - Unit 5/17

Romanian:
Assimil - Il Romeno Senza Sforzo PW 23/101 AW: 0/101
Colloquial Romanian - Unit 5/20

Mandarin:
Assimil - Chinese With Ease PW 18/101 AW: 0/101
ChinesePod - Basics 15/100

Persian:
Teach Yourself Modern Persian 0/20
Living Language Farsi 1/15
PersianPod101 1/???

Notes:
Well, I decided not to sleep tonight in order to correct my sleep schedule, which has been all over the place these past couple of days. Therefore, I had a lot of time to work on my languages. I started learning Persian today. It sounds beautiful, and the vocabulary and grammar are very different from Italian and Romanian, so I won't have any interferences there. I think I'm gonna study them in pairs: Romanian and Chinese one day, and Italian and Persian the other.

I started reading and deciphering some Romanian and Russian poems just for fun. I plan on devoting 10-15 minutes a day to Russian, just to see what my level of listening comprehension and vocabulary knowledge will be after 6 months.

I listened to a Russian poem by Pushkin today and I understood about 30-40%. I love this woman's voice, it's so soft and calming.

Edited by nikolic993 on 18 March 2015 at 3:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 26 of 37
24 March 2015 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Italian:
Assimil - Italian With Ease PW:65/105 AW: 8/105
Colloquial Italian - Unit 5/17

Romanian:

Mandarin:

Persian:
PersianPod101 2/???

Notes:
Tonight I did "Assimil Italian" lesson 65 and I ran into this sentence:
"La richiamerò quando avremo visto l'appartamento". I was able to recognize that this is "Futuro Anteriore", because I had skimmed through a grammar book a couple of months ago. This is the first time that this tense is used in the course and they didn't even put any notes about it. It looks very similar to the Serbian "Futur II", but I'm still not sure if they are used in exactly the same situations. Probably not.

That same sentence in Serbian would be: "Nazvaću vas kada budemo videli stan"

Besides Assimil, I also reviewed the cards in my Anki deck for Mandarin, Romanian, Italian and Farsi.

Edited by nikolic993 on 24 March 2015 at 1:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 27 of 37
30 March 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Italian:
Assimil - Italian With Ease PW:66/105 AW: 9/105
Colloquial Italian - Unit 6/17

Romanian:

Mandarin:

Persian:
PersianPod101 3/???

Notes:/

Edited by nikolic993 on 30 March 2015 at 2:33am

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 28 of 37
04 April 2015 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Italian:
Assimil - Italian With Ease PW:69/105 AW: 10/105

Romanian:
Assimil - Il Romeno Senza Sforzo PW 24/101 AW: 0/101

Mandarin:
Assimil - Chinese With Ease PW 19/101 AW: 0/101
ChinesePod - Basics 16/100

Persian:
PersianPod101 3/???

Notes:
Italian TV shows that I'm watching right now:

1.Boris
2.Geronimo Stilton (Animated)
3.Tutti Pazzi Per Amore
4.I Cesaroni
5.I Robinson

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 29 of 37
04 April 2015 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I was bored today, so I decided to write a 500 word essay about one of my hobbies, pool. I'm gonna translate it in Italian and Romanian and post it on lang8 for corrections.

Quote:
I first started playing pool when I was 14 years old. There was a louche bar in my village that had an old pool table. The cloth hadn't been changed in years, but none of the alcoholics that had gone out to that bar to get drunk and play pool seemed to mind. There were a couple of good players that had been playing pool for over 20 years. They would usually come to the bar on weekends and play pool the entire day, because there was a rule that the winner stays on the table, and nobody was able to beat them. I didn't even know how to make a correct bridge, nor did I know how to hold the cue correctly, but I was always saving my lunch money so I could play. The game that we played was 8 Ball, but the rules differed from the international rules. At first, I couldn't beat anyone, but as time passed by, I got better and better thanks to learning the most important, but also the most overlooked principles of pool: the stance, the stroke and getting rid of bad habits (moving the head or body during a shot, dropping the elbow, not pausing before the final stroke, etc.). Of course, my technique was not perfect and there was still more work to be done, but I was already better than 99% of the players there. In 2013, I moved to Novi Sad because of college. One day, my friends and I went out to play some Darts and have a couple of drinks. We went to a club in downtown Novi Sad and we ended up spending the entire evening there. We got bored playing Darts, so we decided to play some pool. After a couple of games, some guy that I had never seen in my life approached me. He said that he saw me playing and we started talking about pool. After a couple of minutes, he said that there was a pool club and asked me if I wanted to join in order to improve my game. I said yes right away and we exchanged contact info. It turned out that the guy was a coach at the Pool Club and a two-time regional champion in 9 Ball. When I went to my first practice, I was in for a rude awakening. Almost all of the players there were better than me, even the ones that had been training for 2 or 3 months. The coach started correcting my mistakes from the start, and after only 2 months, my technique improved tremendously. I started playing tournaments every week, and I gained a lot of experience from playing against better players. I had to remain focused and pay more attention to the shot I was going to play, because one mistake against a higher tier player usually meant losing the rack. There will be a "Novi Sad Open" tournament held on the 5th of May, so I am going to train hard until then, and I will try to do my best and hopefully place well.

3 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 30 of 37
13 May 2015 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Italian:
Assimil - Italian With Ease PW:73/105 AW: 10/105

Romanian:
Assimil - Il Romeno Senza Sforzo PW 26/101 AW: 0/101

Mandarin:
Assimil - Chinese With Ease PW 21/101 AW: 0/101
ChinesePod - Basics 16/100

Persian:
PersianPod101 3/???

Notes:

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 31 of 37
18 May 2015 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Update:

My language studies have taken a back seat lately because of college commitments and my general laziness. I'm not as consistent with working through the Assimil lessons and reading as I was a couple of months ago, but at least I'm listening to something in my TLs on a daily basis. I had a conversation in Chinese with a friend of mine a couple of days ago, which consisted of him asking me some basic question and me answering to the best of my ability. I think I like this short Q&A format because I get exposed to frequent words and colloquial phrases, along with him explaining the usage of certain words and correcting my tones. I'm gonna aim to learn (get exposed to) 5-10 new words each session, and then I'll try to use them in our next conversation.

The new words from our last conversation were:

外面 wài​miàn - outside
天气 tiān​qì - weather
怎么样 zěn​me​yàng​ - how? / how about? / how was it? / how are things?
热 rè - hot (of weather) / heat / fervent / to warm up / to heat up
不错 bù​cuò - not bad / pretty good
最好 zuì​hǎo - best

A couple of sentences using those words:

今天塞尔维亚天气不错 - The weather in Serbia is pretty good.
外面很热 - It's very hot outside.
你最好的朋友叫什么名字? - What's your best friend's name?

Edited by nikolic993 on 20 May 2015 at 5:40pm

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3724 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 

Message 32 of 37
12 June 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Update:

I passed my Italian 4 college exam a couple of days ago, and I won't be having anymore Italian classes in college. No more rote memorization of verb conjugations! YAY! The tenses and moods that we covered were: Presente, Passato Prossimo, Imperfetto, Futuro Semplice, Gerundio, Condizionale Presente and the Imperative mood. I was surprised that the professor didn't want to teach us the Congiuntivo, and that she always insisted that we use "Secondo me..." instead of "Penso che...".

Some relatives from Romania came to Serbia to visit my family and me yesterday, so I had the opportunity to practice Romanian with someone else other than my mom. My Romanian is still at a very basic level, but it gets the job done. At one point I was translating for my Serbian aunt, and then Italian suddenly decided to pop up in my head, so this is what one sentence looked like: "Zice che...că...am dimenticat...am uitat...tutto....tot...che...ce...am știut când eram mic."

News from the Mandarin front: I started using an audio only approach because of a friend's recommendation. I'm using Pimsleur and Glossika right now, but I'll probably add in a couple of Assimil lessons to the mix.

Edited by nikolic993 on 12 June 2015 at 9:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version