Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
44 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5206 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 44
08 October 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you here, Rniks. I used the DLI Portuguese Basic Course as part of my resources when I was learning Portuguese. I found it to be the most thorough and complete course I have ever come across for any language. The Portuguese course had no military terminology at all. Also, it is almost monolingual. English is kept to a minimum. The DLI French Basic Course is similarly structured. I downloaded it and the Romanian Basic Course, just in case I may want to learn them in the future.

The Romanian course does have military terms and more of a military slantthan DLI Portuguese and DLI French, but it is still about teaching the language and was written at a time (1964) when Romania was part of the Warsaw Pact, so that's understandable. The military usage and vocabulary is not the course's prime function. It is set up in a similar fashion to the Portuguese Basic Course. It is quite thorough with a lot of drills, grammar, vocabulary, conversation and reading. If I ever decide to learn Romanian, I will definitely use it. The old orthography (the Portuguese course has it too) won't be a problem as long as you have exposure to other more modern resources, which you will.

While gathering my materials for Romanian, I came across a Spanish site Quiero aprender Rumano with a Spanish based course/guide called Quiero aprender Rumano Vreau să invaţ româneşte Guía de Rumano para hispanohablantes which is free and legal. It can be downloaded as a pdf without the site's watermark. This could be useful for you.

Quiero Aprender Rumano wrote:
Quiero Aprender Rumano (QAR) es el método gratuito para aprender rumano en español, con mayor número de frases y vocabulario. Contiene además enlaces útiles, expresiones, explicaciones, e ilustraciones orientadas a salvar las dificultades específicas de la gente que habla habitualmente o conoce el español a un buen nivel.

QAR es un método de autoestudio completo, progresivo, y exhaustivo, para estudiar rumano en casa y a su propio ritmo, con la ortografía actualizada, y sin perderse entre las toneladas de material obsoleto, incompleto, o desordenado de internet.

QAR está enfocado desde el punto de vista del alumno que estudia el idioma partiendo de cero, aunque llega a un nivel que puede ser útil a personas que ya tienen nociones del idioma. Es también una referencia, tanto para una visita turística, como para la vida diaria. Si tiene planeado un viaje a Rumanía, se relaciona con personas de nacionalidad rumana, o simplemente le gustan los idiomas, es seguro que le va a ayudar.

QAR está diseñado tanto para los que no tienen profesor, como para los que lo tienen, o lo han tenido, y quieren tener material de apoyo. ...

There's also an associated blog: QAR, El mejor sitio en español para aprender rumano with a lot of free, legal, Spanish base (and monolingual Romanian base) resources available- look to the right. The course, book of phrasesand a bilingual Spanish-Romanian dictionary are all free and legal to download.

¡Buena suerte con tus estudios! ¡Bienvenida al foro!

Edited by iguanamon on 08 October 2014 at 8:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5809 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 10 of 44
09 October 2014 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all that info, iguanamon! I've read your thoughts on the DLI Portuguese course before and if i ever decide to seriously study Portuguese i will be sure to give it a go. I didn't know that the French course also had a similar format, i was really unimpressed by the FSI French course, perhaps the French one will be better.

The QAR site sounds great, too, thanks for sharing it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian

Message 11 of 44
10 October 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
tarvos: Both of the main courses I’m using are for sure old fashioned. Right now I’m
just kind of enamored with the language after hearing it spoken. Ultimately, I don’t
know how far I’ll go with it; all I know is that I want to keep on learning and break
into native stuff when I can. Would be fun to be able to chat with my boyfriend and
his family using it, of course. Also curious if you found the Assimil dialogues to be
a big help with getting the hang of the everyday language?

Khalid Lucas: Thanks Khalid! I bought a used copy on Amazon maybe about a year ago,
for around 15 USD. I’m not sure about shipping availability or costs to Brazil,
unfortunately. Usually abebooks has pretty good deals on books that are often more
difficult to find, though.

It’s a pretty silly series, but I really like the exposure it gives to different
accents and registers used in Spain. I’ll have to give the series you recommended a
watch, thank you. I clicked on the link for Chapulín Colorado and had a laugh. I
could swear I remember being a kid and seeing that guy on tv when passing one of the
Spanish speaking channels we had! I wish you the same success. (:

Crush: I like Emilio’s dad, too, but I have the most difficulty understanding him. I
think when I reach a point where I don’t have to rewind to understand him, I’ll feel
on top of the world. (:

Thank you so much for recommendations, I really appreciate it. Sometimes I’ll go on
the RTVE.es site and look for things, but it can be a little overwhelming.   Now that
two people have mentioned Chapulín Colorado, I’m going to search for it next. Even
though I've never watched, I know I've seen that guy in the red bug costume before,
haha, so I must see what that’s all about. (Also, his superhero introduction has
sucked me in.)

iguanamon: ¡Muchísimas gracias por la bienvenida y también por los links! I browsed
through the blog a little and there’s lots more than I expected. It’s neat being able
to use my Spanish to navigate Romanian. Also, it’s reassuring to see a forum member
has had success with the help of one of the DLI courses.

Spanish
1 episode of Aquí no hay quien viva
Español Podcast episodio 19 (Toni y Alice)
Did some reading and took vocab from La sombra del viento

Before bed last night, I listened to a podcast from Spanishpodcast.org. I had already
gone through this one before, so this time I did my best to repeat along with
everything being said, albeit with a couple of seconds delay. I’m not sure if this
will be helpful, but it’s a nice sensation to have lots of Spanish rolling off my
tongue.

With La sombra del viento I only read the pages before the beginning of the first
chapter and highlighted the words I didn't know, looking them up along the way. 63
words for a little over 7 pages.

Romanian
Reviewed Lesson 1 of DLI Basic Romanian Course
Reviewed Discover Romanian, went a little further into Chapter 3

I haven’t done a whole lot. I’m not the quickest learner and really want to make sure
I absorb the material before moving on.

Edited by Rniks on 10 October 2014 at 4:54am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 44
10 October 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
They were better than DLI from what I remember. However I abandoned all forms of
textbooks after like 4 months in because I had enough to read most native materials (in
the beginning a bit more slowly), so I just took a shitload of lessons on iTalki for more
natural language (like 30 hours total). But I had the advantage that I spoke fluent
French already and that there are plenty of Slavic words in Romanian that I could simply
import from Russian. I even tried using a Moldovan teacher to this end, so I could delve
into the hard stuff relatively fast - also, the very basic daily words I already knew.

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 13 of 44
15 October 2014 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
tarvos: Impressive! I'm happy to see my Spanish is helping me a little here and there, but probably not to the
scale that French and Russian would.

Spanish
4 episodes of Aquí no hay quien viva
Español Podcast episodio 20 (Vamos al cine)
A little reading about Romania from the blog iguanamon posted the link to
Began Unit 3 of the FSI Spanish Basic Course

With Español Podcast, I listened to this episode without repeating aloud once through and then read the
transcription, paying attention to new vocabulary and any grammar that I don't normally use when I speak.
Tonight I'll try to repeat along with it.

Romanian
Reviewed Lesson 2 of DLI Romanian Basic Course
Lesson 3 of DLI Romanian Basic Course
Chapter 3 of Discover Romanian

I finally finished chapter 3! Plurals of nouns and adjectives still don't come quickly to my brain when trying to
make sentences, but it's nothing too difficult. Knowing when to use the definite article is giving some trouble,
though, as is hearing it at the end of some feminine singular nouns. The most frustrating aspect of Romanian for
me right now, however is pronunciation. I can't seem to produce some words (or tell the difference between
them aurally) ending in 'i'. Telling 'cer' and 'ceri' apart, for instance, eludes me.

On the bright side, I've put together my first sentences, hooray. I usually try to get myself to think in Spanish for
a few minutes here and there or do so when I can't sleep but didn't think I'd be able to yet in Romanian. I was
overjoyed when I tried to put together a few thoughts the other night and was actually able to with my limited
vocabulary and grammar. I had repeated basic phrases but hadn't yet tried to say anything original or remotely
expressive before that really.

Edited by Rniks on 15 October 2014 at 3:23am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 44
15 October 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
The grammar you have to learn separately. A big part anyways. The real big bonus you get
is the large amount of vocabulary Romanian imported from French during the last two
centuries (before English became popular). French is still a common foreign language in
Romania, by far the most popular after English.

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 15 of 44
24 October 2014 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Spanish
5 episodes of Aquí no hay quien viva
1 episode of El Chapulín Colorado (El regreso de la Chicharra Paralizadora)
La sombra del viento up to chapter 5
Refreshed grammatical concepts and some of the dialogues in Lingualia
Chatting on Whatsapp

I'm glad I liked El Chapulín Colorado, the episode was short and the dialogue was simple, so it could be a nice
break from the intensity of learning with Aquí no hay quien viva.

I'm also still highlighting words I don't know from La sombra del viento, but not actively looking up every single
one. It's been enjoyable even if I don't catch every word, and I'm happy with that.

As for using Lingualia, I've realized while reviewing grammar that even if I understand the tenses well passively,
there are some I neglect to use when speaking or writing. I've made it a point to make up a few example
sentences using them, and I might put em down in a notebook to help the grammar sink in better. I also intend
to start with FSI again. I just like reviewing with Lingualia because its grammar points are so concise.

Romanian
Lesson 4 of DLI Romanian Basic Course
Chapter 4 of Discover Romanian
Some vocab in Memrise

I'm not quite done with Chapter 4 of Discover Romanian, but close enough. Only need to review a little. The DLI
course is going well (albeit not quickly :p). I'm thinking it could be a good idea to download the audio of the
lessons on my ipod and run through the drills every now and then.

For Memrise I found a Romanian course and just played around a little. It was neat finding overlap in vocab
between it and my other courses, which is helping reinforce the words.

Overall, I think I could and should have done a bit more with both Spanish and Romanian, but I'm still motivated
and excited to be improving in both.

Edited by Rniks on 24 October 2014 at 2:43am

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 16 of 44
31 October 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Leaving for Spain shortly, time to put my Spanish to the test! And maybe blurt out a few phrases in Romanian, too.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version