44 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 33 of 44
18 February 2015 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
The thing is that with dar, you really have a contradiction. With iar... it's somewhere
in between, it's more subtle. It's not used in the same context as și (for example you
cannot say Maria iar Gheorge au plecat). Maria a plecat, iar Gheorghe bla bla bla.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian

Message 34 of 44
19 February 2015 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
That's about the most helpful explanation I've gotten so far. I figure with more exposure and use I'll get a feel for
when to use it eventually.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 44
19 February 2015 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
You will. I don't have a feel for it either and my Romanian is considered fluent. These
are little things you will actually have to evolve through writing a lot (where you can
make context more obvious because in speech I use iar much less).

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 36 of 44
21 February 2015 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
So since italki isn't happening at the moment, I downloaded the HelloTalk app. It's set up so that you can do timed
language exchanges using voice messages or text and makes it really easy to search speakers of the language
you're learning and sort them by country if you prefer. I've had it for a little while but just tried using it for the first
time tonight. It feels a little awkward since I've never done an exchange before but I've already messaged back and
forth to find some potential partners, and nobody's bitten my head off yet. (: I'm just using it for Spanish at the
moment, so I'm not sure how many potential partners there are for those with different combinations of native and
target languages.   

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 37 of 44
25 March 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I've been really inactive with both Spanish and Romanian the past month. I'll attribute it to being driven insane as
the maid of honor in my best friend's upcoming wedding at the beginning of next month combined with the
pressures of job hunting. These are of course excuses, but whatever the case, I've been pretty drained and
uninterested in my hobbies across the board. I'm writing now since I'm starting to feel a surge of life and interest
again and it feels really good to pick up my Romanian book for longer than 1 minute at a time before rolling over
and falling asleep. The next step is to reassess my goals and means after I've spent some time reviewing and
getting back into my foreign language groove. Trying my best not to insert a corny metaphor about springtime
and a renewal of life and blossoming of energy... (:

As a side note I watched "À Deriva" the other day with English subs and feel the need to say how much I love the
sounds of Brazilian Portuguese. Maybe it's because of the setting of the movie, although I've heard lots of the
language in the past, but it just sounded so dreamy and pleasant to me. I'll use it a little in the toast at the
wedding since about half the attendees will be Portuguese speakers. It's possible I'd want to at some point gain
some speaking ability in it as throughout my life I've always seemed to have by chance had a good number of
Brazilians in my social circles. Who knows, for now just feeling a little bit 'wanderlusty' and figured where more
appropriate to express it than a language forum.

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 38 of 44
27 March 2015 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Back to work on my dictionary for You CAN speak Romanian! I have about 50 words entered. I've so far only
included nouns in their singular and plural, with and without the definite articles in the nominative/accusative. I
haven't included genitive/dative information only because I'm not yet there in my studies, although by this point
the pattern is apparent. I use "dictionare.com" to decline the nouns or define them if I need to. Otherwise I
search Romanian Google Images or make use of Google Translate. One of the benefits of this is it's helping me
assimilate the noun endings and gender.

I've decided one of my goals in Romanian will be to do a thorough review of my textbooks and the DLI. It seems
I'm always reviewing sporadically and then feeling stuck on coming up with sentences or thinking in Romanian to
practice. This wasn't as much of a problem when I had a more structured approach to my textbooks, so back to
a routine it is. I'm giving myself until the end of April to be all caught up. If it goes faster I'll change the date,
but I want to have what I've covered down cold so I can use the language with the confidence I had a few months
back. I'd also like to be caught up and have the dictionary completed up to the current chapter I'm working
through in You CAN speak Romanian! Sticking to studying daily this time is the overall goal. That goes for
Spanish, too!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 39 of 44
01 April 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Overall review is going well, maybe slow, but keeping up with Spanish and Romanian consistently despite being
busy. I spent an hour or so working on my Spanish listening last night by checking out a handful of Spanish
Youtubers. If I'm watching a single person doing a sort of monologue, I understand most of it and am happy that
speed and slang are gradually but noticeably becoming less of a barrier to my comprehension. But trying to watch a
few videos where multiple people were talking to and over each other was much, much harder. But, that being said,
I do notice improvement from a few months back and will just keep plugging away at it. I have a ton of native
Spanish material to use, at some point I'm bound to get better at this... right?

Rniks
United States
Joined 3648 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes

Message 40 of 44
07 April 2015 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
The wedding, and with it my maid of honor responsibilities, have mercifully come to an end! In my toast I ended
up using only one Portuguese word in closing (Saúde!) but throughout the day and night I was exposed to a ton
of Portuguese and realized I could understand a great deal of it. The woman who spent hours styling our hair
spoke only Portuguese, the mother of the groom gave a lengthy speech in it, all the groom's friends, the Brazilian
bridesmaids, and even those who weren't native Brazilians were chatting and yelling across the hall in it all night.
It was a cool experience being able to get so much of a language I haven't put any real active effort into.    

The wedding was held in a hall where I used to work as a waitress, so I got to use my Spanish, too, when some of
the Spanish speaking bartenders and waiters recognized me and asked how Spain went, because I had left that
job to study abroad there. All in all, a neat experience but an immense relief that it's over and done with.

My review slowed down the past few days because of all the wedding prep and festivities, but I'm back on track
again. To bone up on colloquial (from Spain) Spanish, I've been reading a lot of ¡Tenía que decirlo! and ¡Asco de
vida! They're two sister websites where Spaniards generally write anonymous confessions, and people can
respond with comments. It's been a great help because before this I didn't know where to look besides Youtube
comments to find more natural, slangy language in written form.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version