Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 34
03 December 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
This log is for tracking my goals and progress for 2015. The past few months I've had a
bit of wanderlust with French and German and lost track of my main Spanish goals. My
Spanish has suffered a bit because of it. So, it's time to get back on track.

Spanish Goals

Continue to strive for B2 in Spanish. I'm currently around high A2/low B1 and need more
vocabulary. I'm a little undecided on exactly how to get there. Suggestions are welcome.

• Take and pass the DELE B1 (at least). Exam dates are April, July, October and
    November.

• Listen to Michel Thomas Advanced Spanish again as a warmup/refresher

• Use the new Assimil Spanish (2014 edition) as a graded reader/listening practice

• Watch TV and listen to RTVE often. I'd like to find an enjoyable dubbed show.
    Something like the Simpsons. Transcripts would be a nice bonus

• At some point, find a good DELE prep book to thumb through and/or the example
    exams

German Goals

Since discovering that my ancestry is a large part German, I became interested in
learning about Germany and the language. I'd like to continue doing so but in a limited
way. I don't have any real need for this language other than experiencing more about my
heritage. I'm going to set an easy goal of reaching A1 in 2015. I don't think this will
interfere much with my Spanish, if it does I will drop this goal.

• Try to complete Michel Thomas German Foundation

• Fill in any missing parts of A1

General Goals

• Update this log on a regular basis.

Edited by bryanpeabody on 16 March 2015 at 6:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 2 of 34
04 December 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I know this log was for 2015 goal tracking but why wait, no time like the present to
get started...

Spent my study time yesterday and this morning going through some of MT Advanced, with
most of my focus on the command tense and the subjunctive.

Most of it came back without much problem. There are a couple of cases in the command
tense that tripped me up but I will review those tonight and get them straightened
out. I think MT gets some kind of pleasure out of tricking students :)

Tonight I will see if I can find any Spanish dubbed tv shows that I enjoy.

No German in the past couple of days.

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 3 of 34
08 December 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
This weekend I was able to get a lot of practice in. I continued with MT Advanced
Spanish, focusing on the future and past. Neither of which caused any major issues. I
do need to review a couple of the irregular verbs forms of hacer and decir.

I'm really enjoying the Spanish language sports pack I got on my satellite provider
and I'm finding it's worth the monthly price ($5) for Spanish practice. Mostly I've
been focused on matches from La Liga (Spain) but occasionally will watch ones from
Argentina too. It's interesting to see the differences in the language between the two
countries. I usually count watching the matches as practice time since I'm listening
to authentic Spanish being spoken by the commentators. I can understand a little,
mostly words and phrases, here and there. The thing that I find most useful are the
signs around the stadiums and the commercials. Commercials are perfect real world
practice and I can generally understand 90%+ of what is said and what is written on
the screen.

Saturday night I had a Skype session with my Friend from Ecuador. I felt that I did a
pretty good job of speaking and listening. Probably the best speaking session that
I've had in a while.

Last night I read for about 45 minutes. I've been enjoying some Spanish books written
by Alvaro Para Pinto. The current one, El hospital loco, is a bit more advanced than I
would have thought based on the title. I'm noticing the use of the subjunctive rather
frequently in the book, which makes me think that it might be around a B2 level book.

Finally, I started thumbing through an A2 DELE book that I happen to have. Since I'm
striving for passing the B1, I will probably end up looking for example tests or a
book specifically for the B1. But for now, this will give me an idea of difficulty
and how the exam is laid out.

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 4 of 34
13 December 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
It's been a few days since the last post, so time for an update.

I had a fairly productive week. I've been plugging away at Advanced MT Spanish. I'm
repeating disc 3, I had forgotten how much was covered in that 3rd disc. It's actually been
helping during reading and IM chats this week. I've seen a lot of what is covered in real
life Spanish this week.

Yesterday I went on a mission to find a DVD with Spanish audio and subtitles that would be
enjoyable. I settled on a DVD of Family Guy. I've been ripping the discs into my Plex server
so I can watch them on the Roku's I have around the house. So far I have been watching an
episode first in English so I'm familiar with it and then in Spanish audio with Spanish
subtitles. Gradually, I'm planning to switch over to only watching in Spanish. I've noticed
errors between spoken Spanish and the Spanish subtitles. Sometimes they are completely
different for a sentence or two.

I also have been working on finishing my current Spanish book, El Hospital Loco. It's a
little more advanced than what I have previously been reading but it's been enjoyable and
I'm learning new words and seeing the subjunctive used a lot. Which can only be helpful for
improving my reading skills.

Friday's are "viernes españolas" between my friend and I. We use Whatsapp to text and on
Fridays we only write in Spanish. Mostly. The exceptions are if I don't understand something
or can't express something in Spanish. This Spanish Friday was excellent. I was really proud
of the amount I could understand and being able to respond with few errors. I'm definitely
seeing an improvement in comprehension and writing.

And finally, I've been investigating how to achieve the 2015 goal of A1 in German. A German
guy I follow on YouTube (Get
Germanized
is the channel, check it out) suggested using Babbel.com in one of his
videos. For the A1 to maybe A2ish level, I think it would work well. I may start to give
that a try. I'll write more about that in future posts.

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 5 of 34
14 December 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Focusing on drilling past tense verbs today. conjuguemos.com is a nice site to
practice and it's free.

I'm hovering around 90%+ on regular verbs in the past tense. But irregular ones, I'm
around 60%. I can't spell them well.

I found a B1 vocabulary course on memrise today. I'm going to give that a try and see
if it's any good. I'm not sold on memorizing vocab by rote but I will reserve
judgement until I try it.

Later I will read some more and maybe watch an episode of Family Guy in Spanish, if
time allows.

Hasta mas tarde...
3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4609 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 34
14 December 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Hola! Yo también estoy estudiando español y me encanta. Creo que mi nivel es bastante parecido al suyo. Quizá a usted le gustaría este documental sobre el poblamiento de América precolombina: link. El español hablado en ello me parece bastante claro y mas lento que de costumbre.

Buena suerte con sus estudios!

Edited by tastyonions on 14 December 2014 at 6:31pm

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 7 of 34
17 December 2014 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
@tastyinions Gracias, voy a verlo ahora!

A few updates....

The Memrise B1 vocab is actually going pretty well. I seem to be recalling the words
that I haven't seen before so I'll continue on with it.

I'm really enjoying watching padre de familia. I don't understand all of the spoken
words but I usually get enough to understand the gist of the plot. There are many
differences between what is spoken in Spanish and what the Spanish subtitles say.
Still not so much that it's ruining the experience but enough that it's noticeable. I
grabbed a cheap, older season of The Simpsons from Amazon last night. We'll see if
it's any better.

I've wrapped up my second go through of MT Advanced Spanish. I like having an audio
course for my commute to work so I can get in speaking practice and drills. Plus it's
an easy way to get an hour of Spanish each day without much effort to find the time.
So, I started doing LSLC and have gone through the first 8 lessons. Very simple so far
but I do like that it moves faster than Pimsleur.

I started looking at example DELE B1 exam papers. The readings are actually a bit
harder than I expected so there is some work to do in preparing for the exam.

I think I have reached that upper A2/lower B1 plateau that I've read about. Lately,
I've been pretty negative about my Spanish progress. I suppose it's because I'm not
seeing as much progress as before. I seem to be plugging along and staying at the same
level.

Edited by bryanpeabody on 18 December 2014 at 5:32pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4609 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 34
18 December 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
bryanpeabody wrote:
I think I have reached that upper A2/lower B1 plateau that I've read about. Lately, I've been pretty negative about my Spanish progress. I suppose it's because I'm not seeing as much progress as before. I seem to be plugging along and staying at the same level.

A mí me pasa lo mismo. Creo que es debido a que no tengo tiempo suficiente para estudiar diariamente. Trato de escuchar un poco todos los días mientras conduzco pero eso no no es suficiente cuando uno tiene un nivel de principiante o intermedio. Pues debo aprovechar plenamente de mi tiempo libre los fines de semana.

Edited by tastyonions on 18 December 2014 at 1:33pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version