Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5206 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 34
18 December 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
You are doing well, bryanpeabody. The intermediate plateau can be frustrating, I know. The good thing about Spanish is that there are plenty of resources, even for free, to help. I see so few Spanish-learners taking advantage of Veinte Mundos, the free online Spanish "magazine" with interesting, downloadable to pdf, articles from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Each article has free (10-12 minutes) mp3 audio accompanying it and hover over definitions for highlighted text. It would be a great way to break into native material and an opportunity to learn new and varied vocabulary about a wide range of subjects. There are plenty of articles in the archive I linked to.

You can combine Veinte Mundos with some excellent, free, formal studies. The Centro Virtual Cervantes (from Spain) Aveteca has thorough, multimedia exercises tailored to CEFR level. The exercises are in monolingual Spanish, but don't let that worry you at all- it's designed for learners. They also have short, graded readings (without audio) available at CVC Lecturas Paso a Paso separated into beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 December 2014 at 4:21pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 34
18 December 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Count me among those that didn't know about Veinte Mundos. I will definitely check it
out. And the other ones you mentioned too. I'm especially interested in the CEFR level
resources you mentioned. Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 11 of 34
22 December 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I had a fairly productive Spanish weekend. I'm moving along with LSLC. It's a shame I
didn't give this a try sooner, I'm really enjoying it. I remember looking at the
website a long time ago and thinking it looked like a scam. It's really too bad that
they don't market this better, it's really a nice audio program. Anyway, I'm up to
lesson 20 and will continue with the speaking and drill practice during drive time.

Last week I was focused on using Anki to get the irregular past tense verbs cemented
into my brain. Today during lunch I did a 5 minute drill on conjuguemos.com and I'm
hovering around 80%. I'm happy with that. A 20 point change from last time. If I can
get up to 90%-ish this week, I will call it done.

TV watching has been going ok. I've watched a few episodes of Family Guy and The
Simpsons. Both suffer from mismatched subtitles/spoken Spanish audio. It isn't a huge
problem but it would have been nice if they matched.

Sunday I picked up a Kindle deal on an Agatha Christie book in Spanish. I have to
admit
that it isn't much fun. The verbs I can generally follow but there are a lot of
unknown vocab/phrases. I'm debating on whether to just press forward hoping it gets
easier or just move on to something else. I remember EMK saying the first 100 pages
are the most difficult and afterwards it gets easier. Either way, failing at reading
is a bit demoralizing.

This weekend I played around with Babbel.com for my 2015 A1 German goal. It's not bad,
I kind of like it. My concern is whether or not they present things enough times for
them to "stick". As I'm just playing with the free version, I can only see the first
level of each course so it's hard to judge. Supposedly, per the FAQ, there are around
3000 words in the entire course though.

Edited by bryanpeabody on 22 December 2014 at 7:53pm

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 12 of 34
28 December 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Christmas got me a bit off track since I was out of town for a few days and busy with
family and seeing people I haven't seen in a while. I did get a couple of hours of
reading in last week but not much more.

This afternoon I will get back on schedule: Reading, audio drills, Memrise deck and DELE
test prep materials.

More later on...

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 13 of 34
29 December 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Remind me not to take a few days off anymore. Getting back into the Memrise vocab course was
rough last night. But I spent probably 30 minutes reviewing around 70 words. Most were ok but
the new ones I learned right before Christmas were hard to recall.

I also spent around 30 minutes watching a Simpsons episode in Spanish. I learned a few new
words due to Marge getting a boob job ;) I'm starting to find the mismatched subtitles to be a
distraction now. I may try to watch with them turned off. I expect my comprehension will go
down and picking up random new words might be more difficult.

Last night I had my first ever dream in Spanish after studying for 2 years. I'm not sure it
really means anything but I remember dreaming in French when I was studying for a few months
prior to a trip to Paris. It does make me wonder why one popped into my dreams quickly and the
other took a long time. French does feel a bit easier and more natural to me so maybe that is
why.

Finally, I'm making plans for travel in 2015. In early February I'm going to be in Miami again
for a week. This should give me opportunities for practice just like last year. Also, I'm
thinking that I will go to Spain on a Rick Steves tour in late spring. It's been a toss up
between Hawaii, Spain, German and Italy for the big trip this year but I think Spain would be
the most fun. Especially as a Spanish learner.

bryanpeabody
Groupie
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

48 posts - 79 votes 

Message 14 of 34
31 December 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
The last couple of days have gone well. To mix things up a bit, I've started reading
more. In particular, El Pais and VienteMundos. VienteMundos is a great resource. I
really like that they have comprehension questions and bits on grammar after the
article.

To my surprise, I've been able to read through articles on El Pais without too much
difficulty. There are unknown words (that I look up) but I've been able to get the
gist without much help. Definitely a positive sign.

I'm going to start picking 1 article from El Pais and/or VienteMundos to read each day
and putting more emphasis on listening.

I'm nearing the end of the first LSLC course. I've really enjoyed this course. There
is a second course that I'm considering doing. I've also heard that Notes in Spanish
intermediate is well done. Either will probably be good, just as long as I have
something Spanish to listen to while commuting.

That's it for this year. Happy new year!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 4088 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 15 of 34
01 January 2015 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Veinte Mundos is one of my favourite Spanish learning resources!

I'd also recommend trying the intermediate podcasts on Notes in Spanish.

For dubbed shows, I really enjoy Buffy. My DVDs only have Spanish dubbing from season 3 onward.

Buena suerte!

Lampang
Thailand
Joined 3621 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Thai, Sanskrit

Message 16 of 34
01 January 2015 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Sunday I picked up a Kindle deal on an Agatha Christie book in Spanish. I have to
admit
that it isn't much fun. The verbs I can generally follow but there are a lot of
unknown vocab/phrases. I'm debating on whether to just press forward hoping it gets
easier or just move on to something else. I remember EMK saying the first 100 pages
are the most difficult and afterwards it gets easier. Either way, failing at reading
is a bit demoralizing.

I read Agatha Christie in Thai. I didn't particularly enjoy it but that was mainly because I just don't like Agatha Christie; in terms of language learning, I think it was pretty useful. Authors - like all of us - tend to favour certain structures and phrases so if you just power through the initial difficulties, it really does get easier. Plus, you have the added advantage of that natural reinforcement.

As for failing, it depends how you frame it. I don't finish every book which I start in my mother tongue but I don't consider that failing so why would I do so in a foreign language? If it's not a book you want to read (in English, in Spanish, in Klingon) it's just not a book you want to read.

Edited by Lampang on 01 January 2015 at 6:19am

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version