Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 44
09 April 2015 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
I didn't advise against output, but against literal translations from English. If there's someone to correct them, these mistakes are useful, because you can learn from them. However, writing an entire log in German, which no one is going to correct, is not advisable for someone who hasn't even mastered elementary concepts of German grammar.

I was shortly thinking about making some corrections myself, but the posts are simply too long and there are too many (elementary) mistakes in them. Output is good, but you need to know what you're doing and/or someone who corrects your mistakes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 4124 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Scottish Gaelic

Message 18 of 44
09 April 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I didn't advise against output, but against literal translations from English. If there's someone to correct them, these mistakes are useful, because you can learn from them.

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by this. Generally speaking what I have written in German has been composed in German both in my head and in type. At no point was it translated from English. (In fact, the English version of my log is effectively a translation of the German version, with perhaps a few extra sentences or elaborations added.) The only exceptions are when I’ve thought of something new to add when writing out the English version.

Perhaps you’re saying I’ve used typically English phrasing or terms rather than idiomatic ones. If so, how can I possibly avoid that? No matter how or under what circumstances I output my internal assumptions aren’t going to change.

Josquin wrote:
However, writing an entire log in German, which no one is going to correct, is not advisable for someone who hasn't even mastered elementary concepts of German grammar.

I was shortly thinking about making some corrections myself, but the posts are simply too long and there are too many (elementary) mistakes in them. Output is good, but you need to know what you're doing and/or someone who corrects your mistakes.

I had a feeling this might be happening. I’ve been trying to cut down the length of what I write for that very reason. There is, unfortunately, just so much for me to say. I’ve also considered splitting the German and the Gaelic into separate posts to keep the length of each individual post down a bit. (Although overall it wouldn’t change anything.)

One of the main reasons for me doing this is to have my mistakes corrected as I have no other outlet or means at the moment. (The other reason being to give myself more opportunity to, and to a degree to force myself to, think in German.) The only other thing I can think of to do is exactly what I’m doing here but on Lang-8 or something similar, and I don’t see that that would be any better (it certainly wouldn’t be any shorter). I can neither afford to travel nor hire a tutor; I live in too rural an area for there to be meetups etc.; and my schedule is too erratic to use Skype or similar (which would also be an issue for a tutor).

It would seem that I’m caught between a rock and a hard place somewhat (either do no output at all or do some without correction).

Bear in mind that my base assumption is that what I’ve written is incorrect until someone tells me otherwise. I’d be more than happy if you (or someone else) corrected just a few sentences or something. If my mistakes are as elementary as you suggest then presumably they would be pretty widely applicable, so correcting one would in effect be correcting many.

I am aware that even with that assumption there is the potential to engrain faulty structures etc merely through repeated use, but really, what choice do I have? (This is a legitimate question - if you have any suggestions I’m all ears.)

As far as I’m concerned I’ve come out on top already. Without this log I’d not have read up on word order, as I didn’t know (merely suspected) I needed to - it gave me the push I needed.

Edited by Alphathon on 09 April 2015 at 4:47pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 19 of 44
09 April 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Alphathon wrote:
Perhaps you’re saying I’ve used typically English phrasing or terms rather than idiomatic ones. If so, how can I possibly avoid that? No matter how or under what circumstances I output my internal assumptions aren’t going to change.

Yes, that's what I meant. Often, what you write sounds like a word-for-word translation from English instead of idiomatic German. The only solution for this would be systematically studying German grammar and making active use of the constructions you have learnt.

That's why I said it might be a bad idea to write an entire log in German. Of course, you want to say everything you're capable to express in English, but actually you can't do it in German, so you resort to literal translations of English constructions. This might be comprehensible for someone who knows English, but monolingual German speakers might have problems understanding you.

One example among many: You use "wer" as a relative pronoun, which doesn't work in German. Of course, in English you say "The man who walks across the street is American" and the literal translation of "who" is "wer". However, the German relative pronoun is not "wer" but "der/die/das", so the sentence has to be "Der Mann, der über die Straße geht, ist Amerikaner" in German. "Wer" doesn't work here!

Quote:
Bear in mind that my base assumption is that what I’ve written is incorrect until someone tells me otherwise. I’d be more than happy if you (or someone else) corrected just a few sentences or something. If my mistakes are as elementary as you suggest then presumably they would be pretty widely applicable, so correcting one would in effect be correcting many.

I can try to make more corrections in the future, but as geoffw said, your word order is pretty off sometimes, so you might focus on that for the time being. I'm rather busy with other stuff at the moment, but I'll try to drop by and comment on what you write, if that helps you.

Quote:
I am aware that even with that assumption there is the potential to engrain faulty structures etc merely through repeated use, but really, what choice do I have? (This is a legitimate question - if you have any suggestions I’m all ears.)

I don't know how exactly you are studying German, but maybe a thorough brush-up on grammar might help you. You mentioned the rules for word order and "zu"-infinitives were new to you, so maybe you simply need to focus on that for some time? Your vocabulary seems to be rather good, but your grammar seems to be your weak point. Just get a good grammar book and get going! :) I'm not a fan of the "learning by doing" approach in language learning, rather "learning by studying and applying what you've learnt". So, systematic grammar studies might really help you.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 20 of 44
09 April 2015 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Alphathon wrote:
Ich bin schon seit zwei Jahren bei HTLAL, aber ich habe hier noch nie einen Log geschrieben. Nun denke ich, dass es heute so weit ist. Ich habe ein paar Gründe:
• Bisher habe ich meistens Anki, DuoLingo usw. benutzt, die aber nicht so interessant sind, um darüber zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Aber seit Neujahr habe ich fast täglich Wissenschaftsnachrichten auf Deutsch gelesen. Diese Woche habe ich auch ein paar Dokus angeschaut (zwei über die Geschichte der Zivilisation und eine über die Medici. Ich würde gerne mehr Dokus und Fernsehserien anschauen und mehr verschiedene Artikel und Bücher lesen.
• Derzeit schreibe ich nichts auf Deutsch und spreche auch mit niemandem. Ich würde gerne auf Lang8 schreiben, aber ich habe nicht viel, worüber ich schreiben kann. Deshalb habe ich mich entschlossen, hier sowohl auf Deutsch als auch auf Englisch zu schreiben. Wenn ich Fehler mache (das sind wahrscheinlich eine große Menge), korrigieren Sie mich bitte.
• Ich muss neue deutsche Materialien finden und möchte Empfehlungen dafür. Warum frage ich nicht in einem Log?
• Hier ist der wichtigste Grund. Gestern habe ich angefangen, eine neue Sprache zu lernen: Schottisch-Gälisch. Deshalb werde ich viele neue Erlebnisse und Themen haben, über die ich schreiben kann.

Deutsch
Ich kenne mein CEFR-Niveau nicht, aber ich denke, dass es etwa bei B1 liegt.

Wie ich vorher gesagt habe, lese ich seit etwa zweieinhalb Monaten Wissenschaftsnachrichten, die ich meistens verstehen kann. Normalerweise muss ich ein paar Wörter nachschlagen, aber nicht viele. Gegenwärtig lese ich nur über Wissenschaft, da sie international und allgemein ist. Sie ist auch faszinierend. Ich interessiere mich nicht für Promis und Politik ist zu lokal(?). Themen wie Syrien sind interessant und wichtig, aber nicht erfreulich zu lesen, besonders wennn man durch eine Sprache darüber nachdenken muss. Fernsehprogramme verstehe ich schlechter, aber ich kann das Thema und grundlegende/allgemeine Ideen verstehen. Normalerweise sind sie ein bisschen zu schnell. Man kann sich entscheiden langsam zu lesen, aber im Fernsehen wählt der Sprecher die Geschwindigkeit, mit der man zuhört. Ich denke, dass ich nur ein bisschen Übung brauche, vielleicht ein paar Wochen oder einen Monat voller Programme (etwa eins pro Tag).

Weder meine Gesprächsfähigkeit noch meine Schreibfähigkeit sind so gut wie meine Lesefähigkeit. Ich glaube, dass mein Akzent eher gut ist (ich habe ein musikalisches Ohr und kann Leute deshalb leicht nachahmen), aber habe ich niemanden, mit dem ich üben könnte. Deshalb bin ich langsam, spreche nicht fließend und bin unsicher. Ich schreibe auch eher langsam (obwohl ich Legasthenie habe, also werde ich nie sehr schnell schreiben oder lesen). Das ist teilweise der Grund, warum ich nicht viel geschrieben habe.

*Ich habe keine Ahnung, wie man das auf Deutsch nennt. Ich kann Melodien ohne Noten oder viel Übung spielen und gut singen.

Jetzt ist mein Plan:
• Mehr Fernsehprogramme/Filme anschauen, vielleicht 2-3 Stunden pro Woche
• Vor einer Weile habe ich begonnen, „Der kleine Hobbit“ zu lesen, aber es war zu schwierig. (Ich musste etwa ein Wort pro Satz nachschlagen.) Deshalb habe ich es etwa ein Jahr lang nicht gelesen. Jetzt glaube ich, dass ich dafür bereit bin, also werde ich es wieder lesen. Danach werde ich nach mehr (einfachen) Büchern suchen.
• Diesen Log schreiben. Hoffentlich werde ich schneller.
• Ich weiß nicht, was ich fürs Sprechen tun kann. Ich lebe auf dem Land und deshalb habe ich wenige Gelegenheiten, Deutsch zu sprechen. Meine Termine sind auch zu chaotisch für regelmäßige Skypegespräche.

Für die Fernsehprogramme/Filme brauche ich Empfehlungen. Ich habe viele US-amerikanische und britische Serien/Filme auf DVD/Blu-ray mit deutscher Synchronisation. Ich kann auch leicht interessante Dokus finden. Was ich brauche, sind Empfehlungen für deutschsprachige Programme. Ich schaue meistens Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Action und Komödien an, aber ich will keine Reality-Shows, Seifenopern oder Liebesfilme anschauen. Leider sind gute Komödien oder Comedy-Serien wahrscheinlich noch zu schwierig für mich.

Schottisch-Gälisch
Ich habe mir „Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks“ gekauft, weil ich gehört habe, dass es gut ist. Außerdem habe ich „Speaking Our Language“ von BBC Alba auf meinen Computer aufgenommen/runtergeladen. Ich habe noch kein Wörterbuch gekauft. Ich würde gerne ein gutes Online-Wörterbuch finden. Hat irgend jemand Empfehlungen?

Ich habe bisher noch keine Sprache im Selbststudium gelernt. (Deutsch habe ich erstmals in der Schule gelernt.) Deshalb wird dies ein neues Erlebnis für mich.

Ich habe auch noch keine Sprache gelernt, die weder Germanisch noch romanisch ist. (Ich habe auch ein bisschen Französisch in der Schule gelernt.) Schottisch-Gälich ist eine keltische Sprache und hat viele neue Phoneme, Strukturen und Konzepte. Die Schrift ist auch sehr ungewöhnlich. Deshalb denke ich, dass es eher schwierig wird. Zumindest ist sie schwieriger für mich als Deutsch.

Schottisch-Gälisch hat nur etwa 85.000 Sprecher(innen). Deshalb wird es schwieriger sein, gute Materialien dafür zu finden.

Ich werde es nicht so gut wie Deutsch lernen. Allerdings habe ich Deutsch noch nicht abgeschlossen. Ich hoffe, dass ich mein Deutsch einmal auf C2 bringen kann. Jedoch wird das viele Jahre dauern. Ich hoffe auch, dass ich mein schottisches Gälisch auf B2 bringen kann. Das werden viele Jahre mehr.

Ich habe vor, jede Woche einen Beitrag in diesem Log zu schreiben. Wahrscheinlich wird es nicht gelingen, aber ich werde es versuchen. Ich werde auch versuchen, alle Beiträge sowohl auf Englisch als auch auf Deutsch zu schreiben. Wenn ich kann ich, werde ich auch meine Antworten auf Deutsch schreiben.

Sind meine Pläne gut? Haben Sie andere Empfehlungen?

Okay, I corrected your first post for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Edited by Josquin on 09 April 2015 at 6:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 4124 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 

Message 21 of 44
09 April 2015 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
One example among many: You use "wer" as a relative pronoun, which doesn't work in German. Of course, in English you say "The man who walks across the street is American" and the literal translation of "who" is "wer". However, the German relative pronoun is not "wer" but "der/die/das", so the sentence has to be "Der Mann, der über die Straße geht, ist Amerikaner" in German. "Wer" doesn't work here!

OK, that makes sense. I was sort of aware of that and have used it in some places (e.g. Bisher habe ich meistens Anki, DuoLingo usw. benutzt, die nicht interessant darüber zu lesen oder schreiben sind. from (the original version of) my first post), probably mostly in the later posts. That said, I thought der/die/das in that sense were generally restricted to inanimate objects/non-humans. Perhaps I’m getting confused with personal pronouns. (That said, if I’d thought of it like that while writing I’d probably have used er/sie rather than wer, which would also have been wrong I take it.)

I probably need to take a bit more time to analyse my posts as I’m writing them.

Josquin wrote:
Your vocabulary seems to be rather good, but your grammar seems to be your weak point.

That’s almost certainly down to Anki (and maybe how I use it). If I come across a new word I try to add it to my deck unless it’s really topic-specific and I don’t care much for the topic. I have everything from everyday words to things like specific terms for mediæval legal concepts (mostly through playing computer games set in the middle ages in German) and scientific terminology. I haven’t found an effective way to do this with grammar though. (If you know of one I’d love to give it a try, but I suspect it’s the sort of thing that doesn’t lend itself to flash cards.)

Josquin wrote:
Just get a good grammar book and get going! :) I'm not a fan of the "learning by doing" approach in language learning, rather "learning by studying and applying what you've learnt". So, systematic grammar studies might really help you.

I feel the same way, and that seems like a good idea. I did try that in the past using Teach Yourself German Grammar by Jenny Russ. For whatever reason I didn’t get very far, although I suspect it was just that I didn’t have the time for a while and never ended up going back to it. I’ll have to find a way to interleave it with Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks.

Josquin wrote:
Okay, I corrected you first post for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks very much! I’ll have a read through it later today and I’ll let you know.

Josquin wrote:
I can try to make more corrections in the future, but as geoffw said, your word order is pretty off sometimes, so you might focus on that for the time being.

Will do.

Josquin wrote:
I'm rather busy with other stuff at the moment, but I'll try to drop by and comment on what you write, if that helps you.

Thanks! As I said I may go back through my earlier posts and fix some of the word order bits myself (just the act of doing so may be beneficial), so I’d avoid going through my other posts just yet. I haven’t much to write about this week so my entry may be a little shorter than the others, and with any luck should be a bit better, at least in terms of word order.

Edited by Alphathon on 09 April 2015 at 7:01pm

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 4124 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 

Message 22 of 44
09 April 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Okay, I corrected your first post for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

OK, here we go. I understand most of it, especially having read over the word order rules. Honestly it doesn’t seem as bad as I’d thought it would.

I did consider using Wissenschaftsnachrichten but thought Wissenschaft-Nachrichten was safer as I wasn’t sure.

Josquin wrote:
… aber ich habe hier noch nie einen Log geschrieben.

So is Log masculine? I wasn’t sure when I wrote it so looked it up and found that it was neuter, at least when referring to a ship’s log(book).

Alphathon wrote:
Jedoch, seit Neujahr…

Josquin wrote:
Aber seit Neujahr…

In English it’s very common in informal writing to start a sentence with but (or and), but it’s one of those things that gets drilled out of you in school as being incorrect or bad form. Instead, however offset by a comma is used. Is this not the case in German? (This is probably one of those “Englishisms” you were talking about.)

Josquin wrote:
Ich kenne meinen CEFR-Stand nicht, aber ich denke, dass er etwa bei B1 ist.

Hmmm, and I thought I had the kennen/wissen distinction figured out. Apparently not. Also, what is the purpose of bei?

Josquin wrote:
Ich interessiere mich nicht für Promis und Politik ist zu lokal(?).

Why have you put (?) at the end? If you’re not sure what I meant, I was saying that I don’t really care about German, Austrian or Swiss politics very much as it really doesn’t affect me and I have no idea who’s who. Exceptions include EU politics etc. Honestly I had issues thinking of a good way to word that in English, let alone German.

I’ll go through the Gaelic section tomorrow.

A few other points. No matter where I look I can’t find the rules governing word order in parenthesis (brackets). Up to now I’ve just been winging it based on how English does it but I really don’t know - any help here would be great.

One thing you did was the removed a semicolon in favour of a full stop; does German not use semi-colons to connect two sentences together? (To be fair it isn’t all that common in English, but it’s a form I like.)

Edited by Alphathon on 09 April 2015 at 9:52pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4788 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 23 of 44
11 April 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Okay, this is a very short answer as I don't have much time. I hope it helps!

Alphathon wrote:
I did consider using Wissenschaftsnachrichten but thought Wissenschaft-Nachrichten was safer as I wasn’t sure.

"Wissenschaftsnachrichten" is the correct solution. "Wissenschaft-Nachrichten" doesn't exist.

Quote:
In English it’s very common in informal writing to start a sentence with but (or and), but it’s one of those things that gets drilled out of you in school as being incorrect or bad form. Instead, however offset by a comma is used. Is this not the case in German? (This is probably one of those “Englishisms” you were talking about.)

"Jedoch" has different connotations than "however". "Jedoch" is rather formal and practically restricted to written language. It sounds very formal, so it's more natural to use "aber" here. There's no rule against starting a sentence with "aber" in German. By the way, in German, adverbs are not seperated from the following clause by a comma. Instead, the word order changes.

Quote:
Josquin wrote:
Ich kenne meinen CEFR-Stand nicht, aber ich denke, dass er etwa bei B1 ist.

Hmmm, and I thought I had the kennen/wissen distinction figured out. Apparently not. Also, what is the purpose of bei?

It just sounds more natural to use the "bei" here. You can think of it as "I'm at B1", if that makes sense to you.

Quote:
Josquin wrote:
Ich interessiere mich nicht für Promis und Politik ist zu lokal(?).

Why have you put (?) at the end? If you’re not sure what I meant, I was saying that I don’t really care about German, Austrian or Swiss politics very much as it really doesn’t affect me and I have no idea who’s who. Exceptions include EU politics etc. Honestly I had issues thinking of a good way to word that in English, let alone German.

Yeah, I didn't understand what you meant to say by "Politik ist zu lokal", so I added a question mark. You might say: "Deutsche Politik interessiert mich nicht, da sie mich nicht betrifft."

Quote:
A few other points. No matter where I look I can’t find the rules governing word order in parenthesis (brackets). Up to now I’ve just been winging it based on how English does it but I really don’t know - any help here would be great.

Word order in parenthesis is just like any other word order, too. It depends on the kind of sentence you're adding in brackets. If you add a main clause, it's S-V-O, if it's a dependent clause, it's S-O-V, if it's a question, it's V-S-O.

Quote:
One thing you did was the removed a semicolon in favour of a full stop; does German not use semi-colons to connect two sentences together? (To be fair it isn’t all that common in English, but it’s a form I like.)

It's possible to use a semicolon, but it's better to use a full stop. It's something I have always been corrected for in school and university.

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 4124 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 

Message 24 of 44
11 April 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
OK, that all seems to make sense.
Josquin wrote:
"Jedoch" has different connotations than "however". "Jedoch" is rather formal and practically restricted to written language. It sounds very formal, so it's more natural to use "aber" here. There's no rule against starting a sentence with "aber" in German.
Are there any other words which have a similar meaning but don’t have that formal connotation? I see you changed it to allerdings further down; does it not have that connotation either?

Right, on to the Gaelic part. Again, it seems pretty straightforward/self-explanatory for the most part.

You changed my
Alphathon wrote:
Ich habe keine Sprache von vorn allein gelernt.
to
Josquin wrote:
Ich habe bisher noch keine Sprache im Selbststudium gelernt.
Unless I’m misunderstanding your version this doesn’t quite capture what I meant to say. I think yours says something like “Up to this point I haven’t learnt a language through self-study”, while what I wanted to say was “Up to this point I haven’t learnt a language on my own from scratch” or “Up to this point I haven’t learnt a language through self-study from the very start”. Most of my German has been achieved through self study (my schooling probably took me no higher than A1 or perhaps low A2). I feel like, while we were taught more vocab at school, what I actually learnt in terms of the language's structure is roughly equivalent to (or possibly even less than) what Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks teaches. To say I’ve never learnt one that way wouldn’t really be accurate. Would something like one of these be OK while conveying that meaning?:
Quote:
Ich habe bisher noch keine Sprache ganz im Selbststudium gelernt.
Quote:
Ich habe bisher noch keine Sprache von Anfang im Selbststudium gelernt.

Josquin wrote:
Ich habe vor, jede Woche einen Beitrag in diesem Log zu schreiben.

This isn’t really a question, but I have to say, I don’t think I’ve come across vorhaben before. It seems like I should have.

Josquin wrote:
Wenn ich kann ich, werde ich auch meine Antworten auf Deutsch schreiben.

Is this a typo?

Edited by Alphathon on 11 April 2015 at 4:02pm

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version